Sign in to follow this  
AussieJimbo

WIP: Streamline Moderne Building

I've always been a big fan of Art Deco architecture, particularly Streamline Moderne.

http://en.wikipedia....eamline_moderne

450px-Cleveland_Greyhound.jpg

330px-Express_Building_Manchester.jpg

330px-Club_Moderne%2C_Anaconda%2C_Montana.jpg

When the Lighthouse Island set came out a while back, I was enthused by the possibilities of all those rounded bricks and 1x2x5 trans panels, so I bought several sets and started working on a design.

The general idea for this build was explore some streamline moderne details and to create a building for an elevated position with large windows and a roof terrace. If I'd ever advanced my funicular model, this building would have been located next to the top station and would serve as a cafe/resturant during the day and as a nightclub during the evening.

I've had the exterior completed for a while but it's going into storage now so I'll have to be content with posting some WIP photos. Please forgive the bodged up front stairs, they just show where a proper set would be. Plans include a bar and stage for the lower floor, a short bit of stairway pretending to go down to a kitchen area, a second bar on the terrace and some tables and chairs with umbrellas.

Here's what I've achieved so far.

streamline.moderne.wip.01%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.02%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.03%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.04%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.05%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.06%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.07%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.08%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.11%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.12%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.13%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.14%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.15%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.16%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.17%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.18%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.19%20(Small).JPG

streamline.moderne.wip.20%20(Small).JPG

Click pictures for larger versions.

Feedback and suggestions always appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

That looks very nice indeed! Very Deco. I like that decorative spire. Too bad you won't be going ahead with any of those interior plans anytime soon, they sound interesting. This building would look good in any table town :)

This is a very good example of the art deco architecture! You've done a great job capturing the feel and I love the layout of the building!

I look forward to seeing the interior, even if it is a long way down the track, happy building :laugh:

This is looking really good. I love the design all over.

The only suggestion is that the stairs leading to the front door of the building is made smaller. It looks quite big and blocky compared to the rest. :)

I'm digging the overall design and good job on representing the Art Deco style accurately - can't wait for the interiors.

Even more art deco. Fantastic! Soon it's time to make an art deco directory ;)

Really a nice design, "AussieJimbo". The facade with the typical 'three' (almost like a magical number) in art deco. And yet the more simple design of the streamline modern.

I am looking forward to see the interior.

That looks very nice indeed! Very Deco. I like that decorative spire. Too bad you won't be going ahead with any of those interior plans anytime soon, they sound interesting. This building would look good in any table town :)

Thanks L@go. I'm really pleased with the spire too. It captures the skyscaper motif which is a common feature in Streamline Moderne.

Now that's art deco 'AJ', wonderful work so far.......I can't wait to see it's progress.....Brick On 'AJ' ! :grin:

This is a very good example of the art deco architecture! You've done a great job capturing the feel and I love the layout of the building!

I look forward to seeing the interior, even if it is a long way down the track, happy building :laugh:

Cheers LT and timmyc. All in storage now. I'm heading to the UK after Xmas so my main collection will be half a world away.

Ohh, I like art deco and I like this building! :thumbup:

This is looking really good. I love the design all over.

The only suggestion is that the stairs leading to the front door of the building is made smaller. It looks quite big and blocky compared to the rest. :)

Thanks SlavoBrick and LEGO Family.

The stairs are just a rough placeholder to show where they should be, I ran out of time to build a set of stairs in keeping with the rest of the building.

I'm digging the overall design and good job on representing the Art Deco style accurately - can't wait for the interiors.

Cheers, eurotrash.

Even more art deco. Fantastic! Soon it's time to make an art deco directory ;)

Really a nice design, "AussieJimbo". The facade with the typical 'three' (almost like a magical number) in art deco. And yet the more simple design of the streamline modern.

I am looking forward to see the interior.

Cheers laka.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

This has really captured the 'Art-Deco' style really well. I love the white colour choice with red trim.