Sign in to follow this  
AussieJimbo

MOC: Modalohr Intermodal System

Hi Everyone,

I was looking around the net for train stuff and stumbled upon the interesting MODALOHR intermodal system. It uses flat-bed cars that swing out to allow trucks to drive on and deposit their trailers for onward delivery by rail.

modalohr_concept2%20(Small).jpg

modalohr_concept3%20(Small).jpg

modalohr_concept4%20(Small).jpg

Please see the MODALOHR website for more information:

http://www.modalohr.com/gb.htm

After some experimentation, I've developed the following Lego version. It's designed for use with a geared down shunter that is easy to stop at the required positions. You can just about do it at the slowest speed of a normal PF loco but it's tricky.

The model employs pins on the underside of the flat-bed, which engage with the yellow levers to rotate the platform as the loco shunts the car into position. These levers are set with the orange handles which also raise the ramps to flat-bed level.

I have shot some video of finger powered operation but won't be able to post it for a while, so I hope the photos convey the general idea.

Modalohr.01%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.02%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.03%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.04%20(Small).JPG

Mechanism for raising the yellow levers uses a slider with a tile that is pushed under the lever arm.

Modalohr.05%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.06%20(Small).JPG

Axle from lever arm mechanism is activated by the ramp raising mechanism moved by the orange handle.

Modalohr.07%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.08%20(Small).JPG

The following three shots show the pin on the flat-bed acting on the arrival lever to turn the platform.

Modalohr.09%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.10%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.11%20(Small).JPG

Reversing up to collect the trailer.

Modalohr.12%20(Small).JPG

The black parts on the left of the track ensure the swinging platform is aligned correctly after departure. It's not always necessary.

Modalohr.13%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.14%20(Small).JPG

To depart, the arrival lever needs to be lowered and the departure lever raised. The following shots show a light grey technic bush on a pin under the flat-bed acting against the departure lever to straighten the car as it's shunted on.

Modalohr.15%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.16%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.17%20(Small).JPG

Modalohr.18%20(Small).JPG

Click pictures for larger versions.

Feedback and suggestions always appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Good work on the Lego implementation. It's an interesting way to load/unload trailers. In the North America, they just lift the whole trailer onto a flat bed with a fork lift. I guess it is not possible if your system has overhead electricity.

French video:

@dr_spock, did you notice the CN truck in that French film?? I have never seen a CN truck in Europe but they apparently do exist overseas.

@AussieJimbo

It looks really cool, and it is indeed an intresting way to get trailers on and off trains.

@JopieK

I think this video is from the french part of Canada not France itself.

@dr_spock, did you notice the CN truck in that French film?? I have never seen a CN truck in Europe but they apparently do exist overseas.

I didn't notice the CN truck. At what timeline point in the video did you see that truck? I am not aware of CN operating outside of Canada and the United States.

I don't think the video is from Quebec, Canada. The host didn't sound like he was speaking Quebecois. Also the trucks and trailers appear to be European style. :classic:

@AussieJimbo

It looks really cool, and it is indeed an intresting way to get trailers on and off trains.

@JopieK

At 1.23 (they horizontally mirrored the film there) , I don't think it is in Canada since there are also French and Dutch (Vos Logistics) trucks loaded onto the train. Or they mixed film parts!

Wow, the prototype is insane, but that makes a lot of sense for the Alps where there is no way you could build an expressway. Unlike normal intermodal where the container or trailer can sit for days on either end, this train is a land bridge through the mountains. So the drivers stay with the trucks, etc.. It is neat to see all of the safety equipment to make sure the trucks meet the clearance (both before and after loading).

Now as for the model, also very neat. That cannot be easy fitting all of the mechanical bits in to such a small area. Very well done.

Thanks everyone for the great feeback.

Now as for the model, also very neat. That cannot be easy fitting all of the mechanical bits in to such a small area. Very well done.

Cheers, it's an enjoyable challenge. Finding a way to both raise the ramp and set the levers in one motion was very satisfying.

:classic: :classic: