MstrOfPppts

SoNE feedback thread

Episode III is now live!

Entries can be of any scale and using either LEGO or LDD so, hopefully, that should be fairly inclusive! We've tried to make it quite light-hearted so please don't take it too seriously and have some fun with it. Snowball fights are permitted :laugh:

And rest assured, we already have Episode IV in hand.....

Since I'll have more free time (Zenith is built, next LDD project is almost finished, and holidays are coming), I want to initiate a discussion with all the SoNE staff about how we could improve the game.

So if people could post here a list of what they feel could be a valuable improvement to SoNE, not just Ep.2.

As we surely won't be able to resolve every problem or have a suitable response to all the propositions, you should order your list with on top the thing you want/need the most.

For exemple here is my list:

- Have a dedicated SoNE subforum

- Adjust the scoring of each faction

- Reduce the difference XP gained beween the top 5 builders for an Ep and the others

- Find a way to judge freebuilds faster

Keep in mind that the staff is already pretty busy, and that suggestion that involve more implication of the staff might not be realizable.

I already said what I wanted to see most and might add another idea. Maybe if we had a dedicated SoNE subforum, Bob, Lobot and some other guys coworking on the story and episodes could get the moderating function of that subforum. More people means more chances someone has time meaning faster index updates, topic titles fixing, pining / unpining episode threads and so on ...

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Since I'll have more free time (Zenith is built, next LDD project is almost finished, and holidays are coming),

If you're bored you could always design me a Blockaderunner or Nebulon B Frigate that I could Bricklink, something in the 2500 - 3500 part range would be nice :wink: Anyway, I digress.....

I'm hoping that the SoNE team will have a bit more time over the holidays to discuss the future, and a dedicated sub-forum seems like a sensible option. Hopefully we'll have a good level of participation in Episode III, and it will help to raise SoNE's profile!

If you're bored you could always design me a Blockaderunner or Nebulon B Frigate that I could Bricklink, something in the 2500 - 3500 part range would be nice :wink: Anyway, I digress.....

You could bricklink a Zenith... :look:

I'm hoping that the SoNE team will have a bit more time over the holidays to discuss the future, and a dedicated sub-forum seems like a sensible option. Hopefully we'll have a good level of participation in Episode III, and it will help to raise SoNE's profile!

I want to do a "complete" list of what need to be discussed, so that we could improve SoNE for Ep.4 (maybe Ep.3). :wink:

I don't want to come over greedy, but maybe a lot of people are passing because there are no (big) prizes to win? I know that's not the point of SoNE, but with so many contests right now, people have to make decisions. Especially in this busy time of the year.

I hope people don't really think that, and that they see that it's all about the fun of buidling together.

Anyway, I'm working hard on my Episode III entry. I won't let you down!

For exemple here is my list:

- Have a dedicated SoNE subforum

- Adjust the scoring of each faction

- Reduce the difference XP gained beween the top 5 builders for an Ep and the others

- Find a way to judge freebuilds faster

Bob, you've echoed my suggestions almost perfectly so I'd like to just re-use them as my own. I also would like to add that it'd be nice to have mini-contests for Titles or Tags that would spark more builds besides just the contests and freebuilds.

I love the idea of SONE. I've been put off though because I can't create an individual character- I'm either a stormtrooper or a rebel trooper. I would've liked more customisation of my character. That sort of leads me on to my next point- it's harder to do that in the current setting, although far from impossible. I'd perhaps like to see us still pick a side, but not be forced into standardised ranks- I want to be a bounty hunter, a soldier, a force sensitive. I'm not advocating ridiculous power levels, but I think that's one thing GoH has- customisation of characters.

Also, I think a SONE sub-forum would be great.

As an aside, I've enjoyed viewing all the MOCs that the participants have created, keep it up guys!

Some of my suggestions are to review and rate the Sone freebuilds before they are all forgotten and lost in the pages. My Sone freebuild moc was posted on 5th November and still hasn't be rated yet. Also you can update the MOC Index to include all episode 1 and 2 mocs, as well as the freebuilds.

I must apologize for the delay in freebuild scoring. :blush: I've just sent out a big PM regarding all the builds that need judging, and hopefully we'll have things all updated in a day or two.

I must apologize for the delay in freebuild scoring. :blush: I've just sent out a big PM regarding all the builds that need judging, and hopefully we'll have things all updated in a day or two.

Thank you. That will be most appreciated.

Random thought I just had while reading a EU Star Wars book. What if we had a building challenge of scenery, buildings, and landscape on different Star Wars planets? We could take planets like Corellia, Felucia, Ord Mantell, Bothuwai, Dantooine, Kuat, Commenor, Hapes, etc. This would allow for some variety in the builds beyond ships and corridors. It would certainly have to go beyond what's seen in the movies though. What does everyone else think?

Random thought I just had while reading a EU Star Wars book. What if we had a building challenge of scenery, buildings, and landscape on different Star Wars planets? We could take planets like Corellia, Felucia, Ord Mantell, Bothuwai, Dantooine, Kuat, Commenor, Hapes, etc. This would allow for some variety in the builds beyond ships and corridors. It would certainly have to go beyond what's seen in the movies though. What does everyone else think?

Although I've read all the EU books, and enjoyed most of them, there are a lot of people that don't like them, and have never read more than one or two. A contest of this type is instantly putting people like that at a disadvantage, and I thought the main thrust of the comments on this thread was to make things a bit more inclusive?

Just my opinion...

K

We could take planets like ...Ord Mantell...

I think an Episode based in an Ord Mantell junkyard would be pretty challenging. (That being a good thing. :wink:)

Edited by Lego Spy

Although I've read all the EU books, and enjoyed most of them, there are a lot of people that don't like them, and have never read more than one or two. A contest of this type is instantly putting people like that at a disadvantage, and I thought the main thrust of the comments on this thread was to make things a bit more inclusive?

Just my opinion...

K

If someone (and I'd be willing to volunteer) put together a short bio on each planet open for the contest then no one would have to have read any of the books. I'm not saying characters or specific cities from the EU have to be represented. Most of the planets I mentioned are referenced in the movies even if they aren't shown.

If someone (and I'd be willing to volunteer) put together a short bio on each planet open for the contest then no one would have to have read any of the books. I'm not saying characters or specific cities from the EU have to be represented. Most of the planets I mentioned are referenced in the movies even if they aren't shown.

I am willing to volunteer too.

I really like to do something for SONE, especially as I have not build something yet.

What does the European Union have to do with Star Wars!?

Oh I get it, you mean the extended universe ... Although I didn't read any SW stuff I still think that this is a great idea! I think that most OT fans that do have a problem with the EU, have more problem with stuff like CW, TOR and other things that are trying to expand the original trilogy, but for the big time and technology difference (in real life and in the content of EU) have quite some problems with the original story canon. But visiting a planet that we all know exists in the universe and not only following the story of Luke or Vader, would be very welcome. After all we're all just ordinary troopers and not the protagonists of the OT storyline ...

I'm working on a planet list to send to the moderators. I've included the following: Bothawui, Commenor, Corellia, Dantooine, Felucia, Fondor, Hapes, Kuat, Mon Calamari, and Ord Mantell. Anyone think there should be any others on the list? Or should any of these be removed for some reason? Let me know what you think!

All the more reason to have the descriptive bios I'm putting together on them!

We've (the SoNE team) discussed changing the scoring system before, but I think it might be best if I asked what you guys thought — you are, after all, the ones who are trying to build so that your team will win when the scoring system is applied.

I know Kaitan recently suggested taking only the top five scores. That seems like it might discourage some builders from participating when the same top builders are the ones who matter episode after episode.

We originally developed the current system with the intent that it would favor the faction whose builders helped their teammates to build better, by having the average in there, but keep some element that would prevent a faction with only one or two entries from beating a faction with a lot of entries.

I was leaning towards just scrapping the attempt to balance things out in a complicated manner and just have the faction's scores be the total of all the individual scores. With the two rounds of judging, I think it'd still be able to avoid having one faction 'spam' low quality builds, since each builder only gets one entry anyways.

I was leaning towards just scrapping the attempt to balance things out in a complicated manner and just have the faction's scores be the total of all the individual scores. With the two rounds of judging, I think it'd still be able to avoid having one faction 'spam' low quality builds, since each builder only gets one entry anyways.

That's not a bad idea actually. It is also possible to level the playing field further by limiting the number of entries counted for the total score to the number of participants in the faction with the lowest number of entries; For example in Ep 3, 9 Imperial entries, 11 Rebel entries -> Only the first 9 rebel entries are counted.

The only thing that is not right is the ammount of points given per entry. I understand that you all encourage more people to participate, but it's very wrong to expect that both teams would be balanced regarding the number of active players. As said before, we've always beaten Rebels in quality and here's the proof:

episode I:

R: (24+23+22+20+19+7+6+6+6+6+6+5+5+5+4+3)/16 = 10.4375

E: (23+20+20+19+18+5+5+4+4+3+3+2)/12 = 10.5 (huge win!)

episode II:

R: (20+19+16+17+15+6+6+6+5+4+3)/11 = 10.6363

E: (20+17+15+12+4)/5 = 13.6

episode III:

R: (22+21+19+17+16+6+5+3+3+3+3)/11 = 10.7272

E: (23+21+19+15+14+6+5+5+2)/9 = 12.2222

Now if you look at the figures all you need to do is find a more suitable multiplier for the number of entries. I'd suggest a number between 0.2 and 0.5. The lower, the better for the Empire. I still think that quality should have a much bigger value than quantity.

As Brickdoctor already mentioned, we're all trying to improve eachother's creations. But where's the point in rushing a build just for the sake of having more entries for the team. And after some constructive or even negative feedback, all you hear is someone didn't have enough time or it was just to support the team and so on (and otherwise they're all MOC experts). I really don't want to discourage anyone from building here, but try to think what is your purpose of participating. Do you want to improve your builds, just have fun building or just have fun being part of SoNE no matter what you do? I'm not here for the win and I don't care if the Empire never wins. It's in the story and we already know the final outcome. I am here for I'm a fan of Star Wars and I really miss some nice builds about this theme lately and therefor I also dedicate some of my spare time to help fill the lack of SW builds and always try to do my best. Otherwise I'd go over to neighboring forum and join GoH. Hack, they've even got prizes there an a ton of quality MOCs ...

And don't get me wrong here. Most of the SoNE builds are satisfying. I'm just saying that the rules in some places are in contrary to what I think the goal of SoNE is.