Sign in to follow this  
fred67

New lighting

I'm a big fan of life lights, but I've always wanted to do my own wiring, and I always keep my eyes open for new things... I found these - "Holiday Time" lights - at Walmart while picking up hangers for my real house Christmas Lights.

I don't have a lot of time, I'd like to take better pictures (this was taken on my tablet). I just draped the lights over my display, I'll neaten it all up and take better pictures, but didn't want to wait, I figured people would be interested.

11041482836_8282e7732e.jpg

holiday time lights by FredJH, on Flickr

11041573533_87493649aa.jpg

holiday time lights by FredJH, on Flickr

It was $5.99, uses three AAA batteries.

I can't find a link, but I found other Google hit called "fairy lights."

I found the lights at WalMart's site; I am sure I paid less at the store, though (although these are 24 lights, the one I got was 18, so that makes sense).

0009342281839_P290612_300X300.jpg

The strands are tiny, thinner than the gauge wire I was using for my home made lights, which is thinner than lifelights. They have strands of single colors, as well as this multi-color one.

The wires seem pretty fragile, but are pliable and hold their shape, so seem easy to work with.

For anyone else looking for simple, easy, inexpensive lighting, I think these are great. At the same time, I got another brand at JoAnns:

BT20-1.jpg

The cord is a lot thicker. While available in multi colors, I got them in white. Instead of being "inline," like the bulbs on the other one, these are more traditionally bulbs with sockets. I haven't put them up because they require C batteries, which I don't have at the moment. These are cheaper, but also, as noted, the cords are thicker and they require C batteries. On the upside, it's 20 lights where the other one I got (not the one in the picture) was only 18.

It looks nice in the dark, are you going to try and hide the wires in the buildings, if you can manage to do that it would look really special! Good job though!

I found the lights at WalMart's site; I am sure I paid less at the store, though (although these are 24 lights, the one I got was 18, so that makes sense).

Thank you for this. I found the really thin ones at Walmart in 18 and 36 light strands in both red and multicolor. They have a built in auto timer (6 on 18 off) and three display modes. Flash, solid and a slow phase on and off mode. Hiding the wires is tricky but not completely needed depending on how you use them. They are all in series and the wires are thin and stiff. They slip well between a 1x1 round and a plate so are easy to anchor. The wires are small enough to look like Lego scale strings of Christmas lights. I have most the Modular building shelf above my desk strung with them and the effect is impressive. The battery boxes sit conveniently out of site on the roofs (my display is at adult eye level.)

Here is a crude cell phone video of how those teeny tiny lights look on some modulars. Not the neatest job, but just to get an idea of the colors and effects possible.

The bulb spacing is a little broad to look completely real. But they do add a nice splash of holiday color. The 36 light strings seem better for the spacing than the 18. But not by that much. The slow pulse effect looks really good with lego.

Edited by Faefrost