Legonardo inspired the roofs of the houses and Eklund inspired the roof on the well.

I researched vikings a bit for this build and tried to make the houses historically accurate. There is only one room in each house and the deep benches serve both as seats and beds. Each house has a fire and a hole in the roof to let the smoke out. The children in the build are doing some of things most common for viking children: the boys haul water, learn carpentry, and practice fighting, while the girls help cook and weave wool.

The village of Nordheim lies in the Clan Lands of Mitgardia:

11033111903_6a13ef1583_b.jpg

left.JPG

back.JPG

right.JPG

top.JPG

interior.JPG

There are more pictures here: link

All comments/criticism appreciated :classic:

Also I'd like to receive UoP credits for: wall techniques (wooden walls) [architecture], village life [anthropology] = 2 credits

Edited by soccerkid6

ah sk, this screams Mitgardia, awesome! I was gonna start complaining that the houses were to short but then saw that they are cut offs. So, nothing to complain, lots to wonder about. Love it!

PS: is this for the MCB?

PSS: btw, there are 7 Nordheims in Germany, none in Norway though :laugh:

Edited by kabel

ah sk, this screams Mitgardia, awesome! I was gonna start complaining that the houses were to short but then saw that they are cut offs. So, nothing to complain, lots to wonder about. Love it!

PS: is this for the MCB?

Thanks kabel :sweet: I've really been itching to do some totally Mitgardian builds and between this and my castle I've had some fun.

I wasn't planning to use this for the MCB as it's a bit big (40x40 plus the border) and I thought there wasn't enough focus on the landscape. But if you'd like me to I will, I'm definitely going to do some more landscape focused builds specifically for the MCB :classic:

sounds great, can't wait to see more landscapes from you. I'm just totally stuck with my city ...

Sweet work! Love the snow! Awesome job SK! Ha, ha, are all Mitgardians working on big MOCs? Mine's 46x46. :laugh:

sounds great, can't wait to see more landscapes from you. I'm just totally stuck with my city ...

At least your city is amazing :thumbup:

Sweet work! Love the snow! Awesome job SK! Ha, ha, are all Mitgardians working on big MOCs? Mine's 46x46. :laugh:

Thanks Infernum! And generally my builds are at least 32x32 now, even my latest 'vignettes' were 20x20. My LEGO collection has grown a lot over the last year :classic:

This is awesome! I love th Viking feel; you've captured it brilliantly!

Thanks, I'm glad you think it captures the viking feel as that was my main goal :sweet:

cool MOC SK, i didnt expect you include interior also. coolio :) mitgard feeling for sure

Really like what this turned into, and you were right, not the category I was thinking, though it could have worked there... :wink: Your windows are excellent as always and I think this build has some of the best snow you've put in an MOC.

I think you need to either clean your lens or your sensor though, looks like there's something right in the middle.

[...]are all Mitgardians working on big MOCs? Mine's 46x46. :laugh:

Nope, almost done with a small-ish interior scene.

thanks for the shout out, this is really nice! good luck in teh contest!

Very nice, I love it. My favorite is a small detail once again: the fire and the cauldron in the left(?) building. Do I think right that one of the handles is only a placebo and doesn't hold anything? :classic:

(I became a knight, wo-hoo!)

Edited by Yooha

That is a very lovely and detailed build! And a great source of inspiration on techniques there

BTW; what does this mean? Also I'd like to receive UoP credits for; I guess something in-sitey, but probably have read over it in the first part of the forum

BTW; what does this mean? Also I'd like to receive UoP credits for; I guess something in-sitey, but probably have read over it in the first part of the forum

It's an initiative run by the Kaliphlin guild, it stands for the University of Petrea. It allows you to get a degree from the university if you complete certain things, such as showing mastery of certain building techniques. There's a thread further down I think.

I really love this scene, wat pretty builds on the housing...

Mitgardia must be proud of such a village.

cool MOC SK, i didnt expect you include interior also. coolio :) mitgard feeling for sure

Thanks, I've gotten into the habit of doing interiors :classic:

Really like what this turned into, and you were right, not the category I was thinking, though it could have worked there... :wink: Your windows are excellent as always and I think this build has some of the best snow you've put in an MOC.

I think you need to either clean your lens or your sensor though, looks like there's something right in the middle.

Nope, almost done with a small-ish interior scene.

Thank you! I do have an entry planned for the 'other' category :wink: Good call on the lens, I'll try that :thumbup:

thanks for the shout out, this is really nice! good luck in teh contest!

Your welcome, I'm glad you like it!

Very nice, I love it. My favorite is a small detail once again: the fire and the cauldron in the left(?) building. Do I think right that one of the handles is only a placebo and doesn't hold anything? :classic:

(I became a knight, wo-hoo!)

Thanks Sir Yooha, you're right about the pot, only one of the handles really holds it. I thought it would look unbalanced if I only used one handle :classic:

I really love the architecture of the houses. And they are so lively inside, despite the small room :thumbup:

Thanks!

That is a very lovely and detailed build! And a great source of inspiration on techniques there

Thank you, there is more information on the University of Petraea here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88352 :classic:

it looks great, the well is amazing i like the roof, the roofs of the buildings look good

Thank you, I liked the way the roofs came out myself :classic:

I really love this scene, wat pretty builds on the housing...

Mitgardia must be proud of such a village.

Great work SK :thumbup: :thumbup: Only a question: how you made the roof of the pit? :wink:

Great work SK :thumbup: :thumbup: Only a question: how you made the roof of the pit? :wink:

The roof on the well isn't my design, Eklund came up with it and here's how it is done:

5971266040_82905c7d7f_z.jpg

(picture by Eklund)

That looks amazing. I love the snow scape. This is inspiring. I may copy some of this for a hogsmeade MOC sometime. Keep up the great work. Any tips on good snow landscapes?

Wow! Really cool. Best snow I' ve seen so far...

Really dig the fact that you've been doing a bit of historical research before building - Congrats!

That looks amazing. I love the snow scape. This is inspiring. I may copy some of this for a hogsmeade MOC sometime. Keep up the great work. Any tips on good snow landscapes?

Thank you! As for snowscapes, they take a bit of practice like most landscapes, curved slopes are really useful and something to keep in mind is that snow generally doesn't make large elevation changes quickly :classic:

Wow! Really cool. Best snow I' ve seen so far...

Really dig the fact that you've been doing a bit of historical research before building - Congrats!

Thanks! I figured I should do some research on what Viking children did before I tried to build what they did :laugh: