awesome, I love it, I'm building it! One question: the Four teal flex hoses on the head, what type/size are those?

That's great! The 2L half-beam that switches the driving ring introduces some friction to the drivetrain, perhaps you can find another solution? If you could post pictures of it when you're done, that would make my day :)

As for your question: The build is dismantled and I'm away from my collection, but I am quite sure my teal flex hoses only came from the set 8482 Cybermaster, which means 7L or 8L are your best bet.

I will try to, and if I find something I will post pictures. First have to score some more panels and some last bricks. And fight of gravity like LDD building instruction wants me to :grin: . floating bricks in mid air.. so easy :sadnew:

Sorry to revive an old thread but ... Has anyone put together 'stepped' building instructions for this fantastic MOC?

Edited by DrJB

SOrry to revive an old thread but ... Has anyone put together 'stepped' building instructions for this fantastic MOC?

In general you don't need to ask that question. If there were instructions available, you can bet they would be discussed in the thread.

In general you don't need to ask that question. If there were instructions available, you can bet they would be discussed in the thread.

I thought I could build anything from an LXF file .... This MOC proved me wrong.

Took me WAY too long to figure out where the battery was stashed. These models are sick.

If you've built it ... then it's fair to assume it's doable because, as you may have seen, there are many 'impossible' builds as evidenced in a couple of threads.

11003716804_01d50d2bde_c.jpg

Not sure if you've seen this image, or if it'll help, but I don't have the time for stepwise instructions. Is there something specific you're stuck on? LDD was only intended to be a quick way to store the model for future reference. Also, the outer legs, middle leg and gearbox use the same motor, so have to be synchronised correctly.

Are you volunteer to create a CAD file (and create renders)? If yes, I could make instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Have we reached a dead-end with this MOC or, way too many other MOCs out there?

Are you volunteer to create a CAD file (and create renders)? If yes, I could make instructions.

Efferman has already created a CAD file. I think it is LDD. Are you asking for an MPD file?

I did figure out most/all parts and where they go, and I did build sub-assemblies. The real problem is, if you want then to put together those sub-assemblies, you end up with 'impossible' builds. Thus, a build sequence (stepped file) is a must here, at least from my own experience/attempt.

I understand what you are saying. I have build it from LDD provided by VMLN8R. It was one of the first MOC's I have build, and I have to say, it was a challenge. The LDD is not great in creating sequence build instructions. It creates steps that are even defying gravity :cry_happy:. You end up with some sub-assemblies that should have been inside each other. Your only option is to rip it apart and remember how it was before. I also used the 3D model rotating it and removed parts from it to see how it was put together.

All in all I still love this MOC :wub: . It is very compact and with really nice functions.

To get others to build it, it sure would profit from a good building sequence.

I did figure out most/all parts and where they go, and I did build sub-assemblies. The real problem is, if you want then to put together those sub-assemblies, you end up with 'impossible' builds. Thus, a build sequence (stepped file) is a must here, at least from my own experience/attempt.

Well, that's exactly the intellectual exercise I have to go through when I make instructions. If you already have a CAD file, all the data is there to replicate the model, but discovering the build sequence can be challenging. It's like a puzzle. I have to solve this puzzle to make instructions. So I wouldn't say a stepped file is a must, it just means that you have a lot more thinking to do to replicate the model. This is part of what makes instruction creation such a significant endeavor.

Well, that's exactly the intellectual exercise I have to go through when I make instructions. If you already have a CAD file, all the data is there to replicate the model, but discovering the build sequence can be challenging. It's like a puzzle. I have to solve this puzzle to make instructions. So I wouldn't say a stepped file is a must, it just means that you have a lot more thinking to do to replicate the model. This is part of what makes instruction creation such a significant endeavor.

Having built models from non-stepped CAD files before I can say that its actually more enjoyable. If you're just following instructions perfectly then yay, you can follow directions. If you are building the sub assemblies and determining their sequence then you really start to understand the mechanisms, the build and the reinforcements needed to hold it all together. You really start to understand the stresses these models experience and why the designer chose certain elements in certain locations.

I could not agree more, but, I've also built many MOCs from just an LDD or LCAD file, and in most of those (e.g. Crowkiller's Murcielago), the design is 'modular', a bit like 8448, and one can easily build sub-modules then assemble them together. Also, most those I've built are pretty 'open'. Whereas this astromech is rather 'dense', and approaching it by building modular sub-assemblies is no guarantee you'd be able to put them together. Thinking of a recent thread, this astromech is really a '3D' build. As Blakbird said, it's a real puzzle to solve.

Yeah, the way the model is designed can really change how difficult it is to build. As an example, I've built both Lipko's V12 and Jovel's Black Dragon. Neither had instructions but both had a CAD file. In both cases I broke the model into what seemed like reasonable modules, but then there was no way to put them together without taking the modules apart again. Both these builds took me a long time. The upshot is that it was very satisfying once I finally finished.

These illusory "modules"

640x478.jpg

Do not easily become this:

640x478.jpg

I could not agree more, but, I've also built many MOCs from just an LDD or LCAD file, and in most of those (e.g. Crowkiller's Murcielago), the design is 'modular', a bit like 8448, and one can easily build sub-modules then assemble them together. Also, most those I've built are pretty 'open'. Whereas this astromech is rather 'dense', and approaching it by building modular sub-assemblies is no guarantee you'd be able to put them together. Thinking of a recent thread, this astromech is really a '3D' build. As Blakbird said, it's a real puzzle to solve.

I made that CAD file for Crowkillers' Murcielago, and the reason it appears modular is because that was the easiest way for me to build the file. It was not necessarily done with ease of physical building in mind. On the other hand, many CAD files are conversions from LDD and then they are just one big pile of parts with no submodels. These are a real challenge.

I did the instructions for Drakmin's Snowspeeder and I went through 8 or 9 iterations of the steps before I thought it was actually buildable. It looked good on paper but then I couldn't put it together. Nothing beats test building.

... I made that CAD file for Crowkillers' Murcielago, and the reason it appears modular is because that was the easiest way for me to build the file. It was not necessarily done with ease of physical building in mind ...

Agreed, and you've done a very fine job on the Murcielago. In all honesty, I built it the very 'hard' way. I was new to LCad LDView, and did not know of all the functionality and stepping option. So, what I did was to edit the DAT file manually (in a text editor) and remove few parts to get to see the inside, then slowly made an LDD version that I could easily manipulate (In LCad LDView you cannot click/edit). It was painful, but after I completed the physical build, I was exploring a bit more the DAT file (in a text editor), then I noticed the "STEP'' instructions and then found out (on the tool bar of the 3D viewer) that you could actually 'step through' the build. I realized then that there was a much easier way ... but it was a good learning/fulfilling experience.

... Nothing beats test building ...

Agreed, who knows what 'impossible' contraption(s) those digital tools let you get away with?

Edited by DrJB

LDView is the tool to use to view the file and step through the building steps. Start with the submodels and step through each of those and build them, then go to the top level model and combine them.

Thanks for the instructions ... the building was difficult and was a lot of fun.

You build actually still MOC's?

Many greetings Tilo

Edited by metulskie8

TechAd; glad that you liked this enough to endure through the LDD building sequence. My time for Lego is limited, and it's either a case of making instructions for old stuff like this or trying to make new things. So if people are willing to make stepped instructions, I'd be very grateful.

Tilo; super job! Seeing these pictures makes makes it all worthwhile, thank you. I still try to build as much as possible; actually finishing something worth publishing is the hard part.

Excellent! The A-team van is particularly nice, great colour scheme. Do you mind if I share them on my flickr (crediting you, of course)?