I don't know the 8466. But I had the exactly same problem as Kumbbl describes when I tried to make vehicles with relatively soft suspension (which must be a common wish among Citroën fans ;-). You get the spring rate right, i.e. the springs are not fully extended when the vehicle is not pressed down, but they are halfway extended and have spring travel in both directions. That's what Blakbird described.

But if a suspension is so soft, it has a very hard time to fight against all the friction and backlash in a Lago suspension setup, so it can hardly push the vehicle back up once it has been pressed down. So the way is not to make the suspension stiffer, but to get rid of friction as much as possible. Maybe tha't what Han actually did, it's hard to tell from the description above.

i disagree... i agree that sometimes in lego models with suspension the suspension is too stiff... but the original suspension of 8466 is IMHO far away from being the most accurate -

I didn't say the suspension was the most accurate, I said the spring rate was the most accurate. There are surely lots of problems with 8466 suspension but those are not because of the springs and are not solved by using harder springs. We've never had an official model with a truly accurate suspension (camber, caster, toe, spring rate).

Well, to avoid an endless discussion: I(and maybe only i) strongly recommend applying Hans MOD and using the Unimog springs because this finally makes the whole suspension working much better. Regardless what are the underlying reasons of the IMHO faulty design. And let us finally agree that we here disagree ;-) well it's Fine for me

So I plan on buying another Technic set soon, but I really can't decide.

Should I wait for the Mercedes-Benz Arocs to come out, or should I pick up the Mobile Crane Mk.II?

What do you recommend?

Uhm...depends of what you are looking for..which parts..if you need parts otherwise if you are a collector...on what you are keen to..

I have the 42009, and I absolutely love it. The telescopic boom and the outriggers in particular are fantastically designed and the gearbox is a maze of gears.

However from the looks of it the 42043 is going to be a better set in terms of both parts and complexity. If I had to choose between the two I would go for the latter.

If you can swing it, both, but buy 42009 first.

42009 Has been out for a while and probably wont be in circulation for more than another year or so (I think, I may be wrong on this). Its a great kit with tons of parts and a lengthy build time which I found pretty fun.

The Arocs won't be released until august or so, which means it will be difficult to find in North America for quite some time after release (this might be a local Canadian problem, things usually lag a bit behind here). It will be in circulation for quite some time after release, allowing more time to save up if required.

My answer will be a bit different than those above. I have the 42009 and found it to be a little 'boring'. Maybe because I also have all the other cranes that came before it. If you must choose only one, then wait for the 42043. If you can afford both, then by all means. The problem with Lego is, you never have enough, and somehow you're always drawn to get more.

There's a dedicated topic called Which Technic Set to Buy. Please check the Index. I will merge it with this one.

The only problem with merging is the conversations can be blended together, making things quite confusing, on the 42009, it will not be around after this year, as the previous flagship was discontinued late last year.

The only problem with merging is the conversations can be blended together, making things quite confusing, on the 42009, it will not be around after this year, as the previous flagship was discontinued late last year.

While you might be correct, the alternative is that we have hundreds of "should I get this or that set" topics. I think a single centralized topic has more value.

Hello Technic fans! My first post here.

I have an opportunity to by one of the two sets on discount: 42024 for 59€ or 42008 for 89€. Which one would you recommend me?

So far I own 42023, 42025, 42028 and 42029. This year I also plan to buy 42009 and 42043 so that will cover all the technic functions for me (except RC function).

Hi. I would buy 42008, because it is older, has more parts and includes both Pf and pneumatic. Did you think about the 42030? (it is a real rc set)

Between those two, 42008 is better, you get more for your money - pf, pneumatic and some nice green parts.

You might want to think about what kind of parts you want (panels/fairings, wheels, liftarms, anything special like pneumatics or motors) and what colours (if any) you want them in.

If you don't have any idea, then work your way back through the high parts count sets until you get to a price you can afford. You may find buying specific sets of parts you need through bricklink cheaper overall though, since you won't be buying bits you're unlikely to use.

what do you think would be a good set for for parts but not too expensive

42009 is a good start as it has a nice variety of parts, but its expensive. The 42038 is also good(cheaper) option as it has suspension parts and such. the 8070 gives everything you need for a car. The 42025 gives a lot of panels.

As bonox said ,It all depends on what you're specifically looking for