2 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes. You don't get any better than that.

Yes I do! The seller is ready to sell it for $195! Now I'm waiting for additional photos to make sure the box is unopened.

Edited by Yevhen

I recently got into technic. I've been really enjoying the really large technic set builds. So far I have the Bucket Wheel Excavator, the Volvo excavator, the Mercedes Arocs, the Porche, the Bugatti, and the newest forklift set. I've been really wanting the old Volvo powerfunction loader. 

I've really enjoyed all these builds so far. What are some of the other must-have ones? I've also kind of had my eye on the big motorized excavator from 2009, but it's really expensive now. 

I'd say the Arocs 42043 is the only must-have. (I don't have it, ironically.) But you already have that one. To add a set you don't have yet, I'd suggest the Claas tractor (42054) which I found a very enjoyable, non-repetitive build, in a very nice color scheme with a lot of dark-grey, interesting functions (steering modes), and a very good size, imposing model (2000 parts, not unwieldily large) with good variety and playability. Only thing lacking is a complete B model, but there have been great C models on the forums.

If you want to go a bit further back in time (before the 42xxx numbering), the Unimog 8110 was another really nice set. PF + pneumatics (not V2 though) + suspension, a very complete package resulting in a striking orange model. Same B-model problem as Claas though. Also, might be very expensive (I have no idea).

Edited by Erik Leppen

Well, most of the flagships. Each one had that something-something inside, which make them interesting.

8275 started all that Power Functions powered madness, a must have for me.
42030 was a fully remote operated wheel loader.
8043 had 6 motorized functions driven by three motors (and fourth switching the internal gearboxes)
42009 was biggest and most complicated crane to date.
42043 had many pneumatic parts,m including new long cylinders.
8258 was one of the best looking Technic t rucks to date (and had interesting mechanism for driving two functions trough one turntable).

Personally I'd reccomend also a 42008 tow truck, for its complexicity, and 8109 Flatbed, for marvelous lifting fork and great designed lowering of the tow ramp.

Edited by M_longer

The list of sets that everybody recognizes even without numbers (Claas, Arocs, BWE, Volvo etc).

Edited by Yevhen

I think we had similar topic and Arocs, Xerion, Unimog and Volvo's were mostly chosen...

19 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

The list of sets that everybody recognizes even without numbers (Claas, Arocs, BWE, Volvo etc).

You'd need to be more specific on the Volvos, especially on the subject of loaders. :laugh:

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

Well, most of the flagships. Each one had that something-something inside, which make them interesting.

8275 started all that Power Functions powered madness, a must have for me.
42030 was a fully remote operated wheel loader.
8043 had 6 motorized functions driven by three motors (and fourth switching the internal gearboxes)
42009 was biggest and most complicated crane to date.
42043 had many pneumatic parts,m including new long cylinders.
8258 was one of the best looking Technic t rucks to date (and had interesting mechanism for driving two functions trough one turntable).

Personally I'd reccomend also a 42008 tow truck, for its complexicity, and 8109 Flatbed, for marvelous lifting fork and great designed lowering of the tow ramp.

Almost agree but I would change the Volvo 42030 for the Komatsu 8265, the thing is still between wheel loaders :wink: .

My most beloved Technic Set is 8043 in Jurgen Krooshop's Ultimate version: :wub_drool:

u8043.JPG

Click on the pic to go to the instructions.
Alone the remote control is a pure masterpiece and fun to play with.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

You'd need to be more specific on the Volvos, especially on the subject of loaders. :laugh:

I really want to see a side-by-side of the new loader and old loader. I'm leaning heavily towards the old version mostly due to PF, but I could probably add PF to the new loader too. 

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

Almost agree but I would change the Volvo 42030 for the Komatsu 8265, the thing is still between wheel loaders :wink: .

True, 8265 was a really great set. Good functionality, great looks, not overly large, and I can remember I was surprised by the motorization option.

8043, as @M_longer mentions, is also a good one. Very compact, a lot happens in a little space, and in my opinion a much more interesting rendition of the "full RC construction vehicle" concept than 42030, with 6 (!) motorized functions in less than 1400 parts. It's one of the sets I would have overlooked had I not seen reviews on it (I'm not into excavators myself).

1 hour ago, Holodoc said:

My most beloved Technic Set is 8043 in Jurgen Krooshop's Ultimate version: :wub_drool:

+1. Just rebuilding this now. Fitting six motors, three receivers, lights and the battery box in the body, then having it work so intuitively with the remote design is genius.

11 hours ago, M_longer said:

Thanks for the tip! These are two sets I had ignored ...

15 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

What are some of the other must-have ones?

All and none at the same time?! Dunno, but it really depends too much on what you're after. There are some really nice sets like the Claas Xerion that everyone just loves, but as far as I am concerned, things deviate rather quickly from mainstream tastes. I found e.g. the Arocs rather boring and much more enjoyed the Extreme Adventure (42060). Conversely, living in an area where coal mining used to be a thing I just don't get any kicks out of the Bucket Wheel Excavator (42055) because it just doesn't look realistic, though a lot of others just seem to love it. On the other hand I got some enjoyment out of the B-model for set 42077, the sand buggy. In the end it's still a typical case of "your mileage may vary", especially since you already have done most of the better, bigger sets. Once you move on from there, many things will simply feel lesser and inferior and you must find something special to derive some enjoyment from it.

Mylenium

You might want to consider 9398 Crawler. It's fun to play with as well as build. It has has 2 large steering ball joints, 4 portal axles, 2 large motors and 1 servo motor amonst it's parts. Plus 4 shock absorbers with extra hard springs.

42054 Claas for wheels and hubs and 9398 for electric components and extra hard shock absorbers. You really need one of sets with these shocks (9398 or 8110), they are excellent and very useful.

I bought 3 Arocs. Only one Unimog. Wish I had come out of my self induced mini dark period when Unimogs were under $250.  My recommendation is buy used, buy cheap, or buy on discount two of everything you can afford. Keep one in the box unopened. Wait. Sell your doubles for profit. Repeat. Play with the other one and put it in the parts bins. Your collection grows, your Lego bill goes down. Win win.

16 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

For those who still need it you can buy the arocs for retail price from Walmart.com

Good advice. But they don't ship to Europe. :hmpf_bad:

Some truly great Technic sets have been released during the last decade. 8258 Crane Truck, 8043 Excavator and 8110 Unimog were some of the early must buys for me. I really like those sets and my favorite was the Unimog.

In 2015 the Arocs stole the number one according to me. 

The following year I totally fell in love with the CLAAS and I have liked it ever since. I think it offers a perfect level of functionality, and it looks awesome. The steering system is totally ingenious, yet not that complicated actually. I still think of the CLAAS as the best Technic set I've ever built and certainly a must have. 

I never got the 42009, and I haven't purchased the Porsche and Bugatti yet but I think those are some great sets as well.