To be honest I never understood the praise for 42030. Sure, it looks great, has a cool licence, it's a good PF parts pack, and is a very playable toy when built, but the one area I find it lacking is the interesting Technic functions, which is the area Technic should give preference, in my opinion. In that respect, 42043 performs miles better. I think 42043 is one of the most interesting sets to build.

But in the end, it all depends on what you're after. If you want a satisfying building experience and learn something about techniques, get 42043. If you want ideas for how to use power functions, get 42030. If you're in it for the parts, check out both inventories on Bricklink. If you want to get both in the end, get the oldest set first (which is 42030).

6 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Sure, it looks great, has a cool licence, it's a good PF parts pack, and is a very playable toy when built

This answers why it's a cool model :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

but the one area I find it lacking is the interesting Technic functions, which is the area Technic should give preference, in my opinion. In that respect, 42043 performs miles better. I think 42043 is one of the most interesting sets to build.

The 42043 sure is by far a better model, no doubt. It has a lot of interesting Technic functions to build. And when you are finished they kinda work, if you know how to operate them :tongue:

So, it indeed boils down to playability vs buildability :thumbup:

Hello everyone,

I am new to technic and would like to buy my first technic set.. I understand most of these sets can be modified to create various C models and MOC... Which technic sets would you recommend for a beginner? I have got a Lego Mindstorm as well. I am looking for something which I can create loads of things as well as MOC.

haven't set a budget, but i prefer to buy once and use it for ages by creating MOC or model c. I prefer PF

Forget it and let go of it or get hooked and pay for many sets or Bricklink orders. There is not one or two sets with which you can fulfill your MOC dreams with.

I would start with Technic set 42068 if you like fire trucks and its over 1000 pieces and a fake engine with 4 wheel steering . Great for parts !! or if you want something easy and smaller , something smaller like the 500+ pieces the Lego set 42075 First Respond truck is a well rounded model and i would recommend to any one who never built a Technic set before   

Buy what interests you. Eventually you'll want to buy the biggest set you can afford. You'll get more for your money and also get more choice parts. Bear in mind one set won't do it. Yes, you can get many excellent parts on sites like Bricklink, but you will pay shipping too. 

I would tend to agree with sirslayer get 42075 First Responder, good medium size set with many useful parts. That way you will know if you even like Technic then you can decide which direction you want to go with your MOCs. There really isn't one set that gives you everything you need or want, so figure on buying several sets and remember the biggest most expensive isn't necessarily the best way to go, if you want to build a solid collection of parts. 

Edit

I tend to scour the clearance sales for smaller sets I have little or no interest in, just for parts on the cheap. 

Edited by Johnny1360

8 hours ago, aq2725 said:

I [...] would like to buy my first technic set.

If you're starting out and have no Technic building experience yet, start by make sure you enjoy Technic building; so I'd advice to start with a small set. 

See https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&catString=36&itemBrand=1000&catType=S&v=2 for a list. I think 42057, 42060, 42071, 42084 I think are all nice small starter sets. (I'd advice against the pullbacks, because they are not really Technic as they have no functions other than the pullback.)

Then if you like this, then as a second ste you can go slightly bigger, such as 42048, 42049 (if still available), or the 42075 already mentioned. 42077 is also interesting if you're into cars. The hovercraft 42076 seems a really nice part supplier, but I remember the model was not great.

If you made sure you really enjoy Technic building and you want more parts, you can check the bigger sets. Such as indeed the Claas tractor, which I think is the best large set still available (unless you can find 42043). 42069 also seems quite good. I'd avoid the two exclusive supercars (42056, 42083) as parts packs; these are more expensive per part than other sets.

I would suggest 42029 or 42006, I made lots of MOCs with them and 4 M motors, one receiver, one remote and one big battery box.

Edit: if you find the sets at a good price.

Edited by Matty04

I love radio control and robotics, I am looking at 42030 as its rc out of the box... any other kits like this which are rc or can be made into rc with little cost? 

16 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

The hovercraft 42076 seems a really nice part supplier, but I remember the model was not great.

Yes, even room for C models. The set itself was alright.

Hi folks,

my name is Jannik, a 28 year old automotive engineer from northern Germany with a two year old son. Playing with Lego was my biggest childhood passion and I re-discovered it when I got the 42059 Stunt Truck as an unexpected birthday present. Of course it was a simple build but my son loves to play with it.

As next step, I got the 42057 Ultralight Helicopter. I built the A and the B model together with my son. Of course, he is not able to build it on his own but he loves to merge the parts and to see the functions (fake engine, rotor).

Now I wonder what we will do next. I think I will buy myself a 42055 or a 42082 as christmas present (at least if my lust for it continues). My heart beats for the 42054 but it has become very expensive (more expensive than 42055 and 42082). I am aware that the build will be way to complicated and too long to build it together with my son so I need a nice small and playable kit to build next. I thought of the 42062, 42075 or the 42079. Can you give me some advice for this special case (building together with a child)?

Kind Regards, Jannik

Hi @Yonnix,

Welcome to EB!

The 42079 is a very interesting set, for a small set. It packs a lot of nice functions, and has a decent B-model. You can read my review tomorrow. I am very enthusiastic about it.

The 42055....well....there seem to be two camps. The ones who thinks it's a great set and the ones who think the build is okay, but the functions don't work good enough. I am in the second group. I appreciate what TLG has tried to do, but operating the BWE sucks, plain and simple. Unless you love BWE's, I'd go for the 42082, which is a great set. You can read all about it tomorrow too :wink: 

As always....YMMV!

Thank you very much, Jim! I am also excited about 42079, it looks very well rounded and can be used like a real forklift. I also like its colors and think that the light on the roof as a control is a Lego Technic classic. Just ordered it, I got it with a voucher for 34€ which seems to be very fair for a set that looks nice and functional enough despite being not the largest.

I like the BWE more for its parts, I think a lot of nice large parts are included. The functionality looks interesting but it is not nice that it doesn't work smooth. I will opt for the 42082, I think everybody needs a crane and having black and red parts is also very universal for the start.

BWE is a great parts pack. No doubt about it. I own two copies, which says it all. Ordered the second one for the frames.

17 minutes ago, Yonnix said:

Thank you very much, Jim! I am also excited about 42079, it looks very well rounded and can be used like a real forklift. I also like its colors and think that the light on the roof as a control is a Lego Technic classic. Just ordered it, I got it with a voucher for 34€ which seems to be very fair for a set that looks nice and functional enough despite being not the largest.

I like the BWE more for its parts, I think a lot of nice large parts are included. The functionality looks interesting but it is not nice that it doesn't work smooth. I will opt for the 42082, I think everybody needs a crane and having black and red parts is also very universal for the start.

42082 has 4 small actuators, 2 big actuators and a boom. Add medium wheels from your 42079 and you'll be able to build any construction vehicles like cranes, excavators or telehandlers. Any!

Edited by Yevhen

Wow, that sounds awesome, that's a good argument for 42082! I can't wait to have enough parts for my own constructions, that was always the biggest fun for me and probably one of the reasons why I have become an engineer.

42030 becomes absolutely fantastic when you modify it to use linear actuators for smooth steering, and give it an openable claw that can grab multiple attachments.