Apologies if this isn't the place for it, but for UK technic fans it's well worth checking out the prices on asda direct just now (e.g. Arocs £111, Claas £80, heavy lift helicopter £68, mindstorms £183). Google shopping results don't seem to find these, so well hidden...

Edited by Josephiah

3 hours ago, Josephiah said:

Apologies if this isn't the place for it, but for UK technic fans it's well worth checking out the prices on asda direct just now (e.g. Arocs £111, Claas £80, heavy lift helicopter £68, mindstorms £183). Google shopping results don't seem to find these, so well hidden...

I noticed that and managed to get the Arocs at that price which is lower than the £130+ I've ever seen it before anywhere. Not long afterwards (but not immediately) it was showing as Out of Stock. They also had the BWE showing at an amazing £115 but already Out of Stock. I've noticed before that Asda (and another store, I think it was Tesco but might have been Argos) sometimes show very good prices for items that are Out of Stock, but when they are back in stock the price reverts to a more normal level. So although I have no way of knowing, I suspect when their online stock goes down to the last 2 or 3 items, their system automatically cuts the price significantly - simply so that they can then justify showing a very attractive price all the time it is OOS, without having to sell any more at that price (I don't think you can reserve one at that price while it's OOS). If this is true (and not just me being cynical), it's possible to get a very good deal but you have to be browsing at just the right time.

I suspect you are quite right: the Mindstorms set (which if our theory is correct was probably singular!) has also gone now.

Edited by Josephiah

Hiya,

Long time lurker here, just registered to ask a question about the best way to get remote-control of my technic. I've got a few sets so I'm fine for standard parts (42043, 42055 and a few smaller sets) but I'd like to get into making RC technic, perhaps do the TC11 if I have time. I've got an M-Motor and an XL motor from the two big sets. So here are my choices, I have around £100 to spend:

* Buy an S-Brick - I like the idea but its expensive for just one component to add to my set.

* Buy 42065 - RC + 2 motors great. Rest of the components are duplicates parts of what I already own.

* But a train set such as 60051 - I quite like the idea of lego trains as I have a 3 yr old and they seem quite fun.

Any money left over would go towards some more motors, another M or XL to make tracked RC, and/or a servo for car RC.

Which is going to give me the best experience? I like the idea of the s-brick as its range is higher and seems more flexible, but its a lot of money for just one Lego component. Any other suggestions for routes I could go down that give me best bang for buck & compliment my collection?

Cheers!

-wolfman

1 hour ago, Wolfman122 said:

I've got an M-Motor and an XL motor from the two big sets. So here are my choices, I have around £100 to spend:

* Buy an S-Brick - I like the idea but its expensive for just one component to add to my set.

* Buy 42065 - RC + 2 motors great. Rest of the components are duplicates parts of what I already own.

* But a train set such as 60051 - I quite like the idea of lego trains as I have a 3 yr old and they seem quite fun.

Any money left over would go towards some more motors, another M or XL to make tracked RC, and/or a servo for car RC.

I'd say, S-Brick is very interesting, but not that necessary,while you still don't have RC receivers ...

I would bit the bullet and go for a 42030! Four motors - all available types - two receivers and two remote controls. You can motorized and RC a lot with this setup. It's maybe a bit out of your money range, but in my opinion the best choice for what you want to do. Plus some yellow beams.

42065 would be only my choice, if I wanted to build only tracked vehicles. Otherwise I'm always lacking some Servos and receivers.

My next order, for example, will only be receivers and Servos, as much as I can afford.

Hope, that helped.

2 hours ago, Wolfman122 said:

I've got a few sets so I'm fine for standard parts (42043, 42055 and a few smaller sets) but I'd like to get into making RC technic, perhaps do the TC11 if I have time. I've got an M-Motor and an XL motor from the two big sets. So here are my choices, I have around £100 to spend: routes I could go down that give me best bang for buck & compliment my collection?

Since you are happy with the standard parts you have, price the individual RC parts at the Lego Shop at Home site. Buying from Bricklink is another option. 

4 hours ago, Wolfman122 said:

Which is going to give me the best experience? I like the idea of the s-brick as its range is higher and seems more flexible, but its a lot of money for just one Lego component. Any other suggestions for routes I could go down that give me best bang for buck & compliment my collection?

Individual parts or 42065 is the cheapest way to get to RC. I wouldn't worry about having duplicate motors though because you will quickly find that more motors leads to flexibility and often better performance.  Having said that, your next purchase should be an S Brick after you have the 42065/parts.  Having to follow your RC vehicle closely due to Lego's RC range and having to expose the receiver for visibility/range isn't the best.  I was in your shoes last year and bought an S Brick and 42030 but had a bigger budget.   My niece wants to go RC too and I told her to buy 42065 as it's the cheapest ready made RC kit made by Lego.

Edited by GBTechnic
Grammar and spelling police!

Thanks for the help!

So in the end I've ordered single XL & M motors as well as some pf cables from lego online store, and then got myself an S-Brick - and that leaves me under budget if I want to get something else if what I got is not enough to satisfy!

In the end I thought it would be better to go straight to S-Brick rather than purchase a PF IR now and an S-Brick later, because, lets face it, I'd still want one even if I had PF IR! ;)

-wolfman

Not sure if this topic is still the place to post this question but I am looking for advice regarding my next purchase. I want to buy one of the pull-back models for my nephew and I am wondering which one is the best in terms of playability. If you were to choose one pullback set, which one would it be? And which one, if your options were limited to 2016/2017 lineup?

There's really not much difference between sets when it comes to the pullback series. The one thing of note is that they are released in couples which will make a third model when combined. You can't go wrong here.

@Huaojozu my kids like the green jungle racer the best, it comes with an additional winch. But it is from 2014 or 2015 I think. The hotrod and police interceptor make for some nice roleplaying together. And the 2017 sets come with an additional ramp for jumping. Other than that, they are all quite the same actually...

Hey guys. I'm looking for a set on the smaller end to keep on my work desk. Just want something to keep my hands busy if needed. I was thinking something such as 8837, a small set with good functionality, and price well under 50 dollars, although it does command a premium now due to the metal hook.  Any suggestions?

I'm going to pick up either 42052 and 42053 today after work.  Playability is a factor as it will primarily be played with by my 4.5 year old.  

We do have 42043 already (which he loves) and the bucket mechanism seems very similar on 42053.  I do have plenty of spare PF parts so I would probably motorize 42053 but i almost think the pump may be cool for my younger one as he would be more "hands on" making it work.  42053 seems like it may have more modding potential (treads might be a simple mod).  

But on the other hand, who doesnt love a helicopter!?  42052 just seems like a much more impressive for only slightly more money and I havent had a big Technic helicopter since 8856 way back in the day.  

In terms of overlap, we do already have 42061, 42049, 42023 and 42030.

What do you guys think???

@r12ax7 42053 suits perfectly for your kid.  I feel the helicopter a bit big for him and the playability is limited . About 42053: Though the bucket is similar to 42043, you could mod the attachment and make proper excavator.  You may need another big/long pneumatic cylinder 

24 minutes ago, Paknaloid said:

Quick question- I can only afford one new set; for those who have both, would you recommend 42054 or 42069?

Cheers

Full disclosure, I do not own 42069, but I like it, especially seeing some of the RC potential it has.  That said, at least here in the States you can usually find 42054 discounted at least 20% and frequently 30%.  Comparing 42054 at ~$130 USD versus $180 for 42069 I think its a no-brainer to go with 42054.  From a mod potential standpoint 42069 may win in terms of the actual model, but with 42054 you have all the possibilities the PTO offers and create all kinds of attachments.  

Just my 2 cents...

@r12ax7 thanks - I am leaning more towards 42054, I can pick it up here for around £80.  I'm not big into full RC, I prefer manual with a couple of PF elements.  The only things that are swaying me towards 42069 is that I love how it looks with wheels, and the higher part count, but to mod to wheels it would cost even more money...

I suspect I can probably guess the answer to this, but which of the following should I go for:

42043 Arocs @ £130,

42054 Claas @ £90, or

42069 Extreme Adventure @ £120?

Like the look of all three, but can probably only justify one (if that!) at the moment. Like the pneumatics of the Arocs, and motorised stuff of the first two, but realistically after the joy of building, most of my technic sits on the shelf until I dismantle/rebuild it. Love the look of the Claas, but the lack of B-model is a major negative for me. 42069 looks great but fewer interesting functions.

Your thoughts please!

Edit: P.s. I have plenty of old flagships from the 90s, but 42009 is my only major modern set so far (so closest to the Arocs in form/function of the three).

Edited by Josephiah

23 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Always oldest first. Arocs will go out of production very soon and then the price will likely increase. 

Heh, exactly the answer I was expecting. For the sake of argument, leaving the availability aspect out of it, and assuming I can only buy one in total, which would you go for?

7 minutes ago, Josephiah said:

Heh, exactly the answer I was expecting. For the sake of argument, leaving the availability aspect out of it, and assuming I can only buy one in total, which would you go for?

If i compare the prices, i think the arocs seems pretty cheap. On german Ebay, new arocs goes for 180 or more, and claas goes for 100 or more... but €.

Meaning arocs is 80% more expensive then the claas. In your example the arocs is just 45% more expensive.

I allways look at what parts i could need (for my next mocs), to make such a decision.

The missing B-model should not influence the decision at all, since there are a lot of nice C-models of this set... for example @BrickbyBrickTechnic made a few :)

I have all 3 sets so I think I'm qualified for this. I'd go for Arocs because it has the highest display value. There are a lot of realistic details in the model that I only learned about them all after several months of admiring it.

Even the Arocs B model has realistic details of its own: battery cover, fuel tank, trailer landing legs, spare tires, trailer bulk head, and the wire from the truck to the trailer. In real life the wire is used to power navigation lights in the trailer. I intend to buy another Arocs just for the B model.

The Xerion also has a lot of realistic details but is nowhere as near the Arocs. And it has little playability.

The 42069 A is also a display model with little play value. But its B model offers some fun. I play with the crane a lot. Hoisting the cargo and releasing the winch make it go THUD to the ground, which is really fun.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

I would go for the Arocs without hesitation. It is a real flagship set and one of the best Lego technic trucks/sets, a real classic. It provides you lots of pieces + PF and pneumatics. Another interesting aspect: there are some excellent C models for this set. What else do you need?