Merging this with the "which set to buy topic"

Hi folks, I'n fairly new to Technic but have about 5 unopened sets, incl Unimog, Arocs, Mobile Crane Mk2. Only reason they're unopened was because I didnt have space at my rental accomodation, but now have moved into my own house with plenty of space for my Lego.

I love Porsche but am really disappointed by the poorly engineered Porsche, especially given the price tag.

I don't have any other car sets, but seriously considering getting 8070 second hand and use the leftover cash for another set. I plan to modify 8070 as I learn more about Technic. 8070 seems to be much better bung for the buck even given its rarity.

Would you recommend 8070 or 42056?

the Porsche is not that badly engineered, by being more complicated than 8070 obviously there are more flaws! But trust me....you'll love the porsche once built! even if you put it on a shelf it simply does the job 10 times better than a 8070! go for it

Merging with the Which Technic Set should I buy topic.

I wouldn't say the porsche is badly engineered, it's just far more ambitious. 8070 plays it safe with boring, unrealistic functions. The porsche attempts to push the boundaries so to speak, so I would have the gorgeous looking 42056 over 8070. But for me, while the functions of 42056 are authentic (for example an impressive paddle shift gearbox), it's the mechanically inauthentic execution of it's functions (in this example no rotary drum cam to shift gears, still using only one size of clutch gear) which puts me off buying it myself. So I wouldn't call it ultimate, but it's still far better than 8070.

I would recommend 8070, it looks awesome and IMHO much better than the Porsche

Thanks for the feedback everyone. What should I get if I want to do MOC supercar? The Porsche looks amazing, but for that price I can get 2 8070s.

If you wanna create a car based on the porsche, you are forced to build in a 1:8 scale without a great possibility to get extra orange parts. I said that based on the absence of some pieces in Orange or some being expensive. In the other hand, if you get the 8070 you could build in smaller size that means an easier job compared to a 1:8 scale. Also it means a better opportunity to share you MOC to the community because almost everyone could build it.

Talking about the pieces, the 8070 has some interesting and useful ones, like those wheel hubs (4x) and the flex axles. If you could buy 2x 8070, well, you'd have a great parts pack. Even if you wanna get extra pieces, you will have a greater situation to get whatever you want like panels that are cheap or few soft axles (I know, they are expensive but 2x 8070 + some panels and soft axles, is cheaper that the Porsche)

Also there is another option like buying 3x 42039 but that's just my opinion

I own neither, but if I compare 8070 and 42056, I'd say 8070 is much more of a Technic set. It has half the parts (and less than half the price) but more functions. Yes, the functions may not be realistic, but it does plenty of things and has enough complexity for a 1300-part set and you can always start modding (and it has a nice alternative model, which the Porsche lacks). The Porsche is much more of a display set, and orange parts pack. So if you're looking for orange parts, get the Porsche. But when I saw 42056's instructions, I was left rather unimpressed. It's mostly beam stacking and panelling. 8070, to me, looks much more technically interesting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. What should I get if I want to do MOC supercar? The Porsche looks amazing, but for that price I can get 2 8070s.

In that case, you'd be better of with 8070 plus another car set, e.g. 42000 (if you can still get it for a reasonable price) or 42039. These have no gearbox, but plenty of nice parts for MOCcing.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I would go for the 42056 Porsche because of the looks and the new parts. In my opinion it looks awesome even though the functions are not that great. One of my fav Technic sets is the 8461 Williams F1 Team just because it looks so sweet :laugh:

I agree with Erik, with 8070 and 42039 you will even get 4 official models (A+B, and quite good ones!), good learning material.

With 42056, you will get only 1 car and well... a suitcase. :tongue:

For gearboxes: there are a lot good ones on Youtube, easy to bricklink them.

Edited by agrof

42039 and 8070 are a great option, though if you are looking for a parts pack, the color combination won't be the best hehe

That's why I suggest 2x 8070. But yeah 8070 + 42000 is the best option (wheels with different sizes, perfect color combination, wishbone arms)

About Porsche, I am agree with Erik. It's just a good looking set without interesting techniques (except for the shifter system) and with a bad gearbox. The model would be perfect if it cost 230EUR. But 300EUR for a set that needs important improvements out the box?..No way!

Hi guys I'm a Lego technic beginner and for now I have two sets which are 42035 (mining truck) and 42040 (fire plane) and I'm wanting to buy a new set my decision is between 42038 (artic truck) or 42049 (mine loader) which would be better?

42038 so far. Many many useful pieces: Tracks, shock absorbers, ball joints........ Also it's an interesting build and the B Model is awesome. The 42049 is an overpriced set.

Edited by Jonfensu

I was thinking of getting another set which is not a lot hard like 42040 but jumping into a bit advanced is better I guess I have a little experience of advanced sets cause one of my friends have 42039 and one day I just helped him a bit to build it and it was a bit hard but I enjoyed it but I can't buy that set cause it is a bit too expensive and a bit advanced for me soo 42038 might be a good set I also like the b model by the looks

Hi guys I'm a Lego technic beginner and for now I have two sets which are 42035 (mining truck) and 42040 (fire plane) and I'm wanting to buy a new set my decision is between 42038 (artic truck) or 42049 (mine loader) which would be better?

42038 so far. Many many useful pieces: Tracks, shock absorbers, ball joints........ Also it's an interesting build and the B Model is awesome. The 42049 is an overpriced set.

Seconded on the Arctic truck recommendation. I have the 42049 and whilst it looks good (similar scale) with the 42030 volvo and other mining related sets its a pretty plain model (no suspension, diff, only 2cl motor).

42048 (go kart) is a really cool set for the price, lots of parts, easy build and a good intro to gearboxes and gear ratios. Also a couple cool user made C models for the kart which is uncommon for smaller sets.

As far as bigger sets go the 42053 from 2h2016 is a great intro to advanced sets. It has the new pneumatic parts, decent B model and im sure the C models will begin coming through in the next few months.

Depending on what you plan to build. While 42038 is source of nice suspension parts and tracks, 42049 giving you 4 wheels, large turntable and more yellow parts. So, if you plan to develop some trucks, cherry pickers and other machinery i vote for Mine Loader. 42038 is a good set, but only if you plan to build tracked vehicles - there's largest assortment of sprockets for that price. For suspension parts better to choose some other sets.

So... I've pretty much given up on my TC10 entry, finding that my lack of parts is holding me back from building what I want. I know that bricklink can solve this problem, but I don't feel like spending hundreds of euros on loose parts when I can buy a set and just build it.

I'm having trouble choosing though, and I would like some advice on which set to buy.

First of all I'm a sucker for tractors, loaders, excavators and the like. I also have a soft spot for pneumatics, so I've considered the 42053 volvo ew160. I'm just wondering if it's better to buy the 42043 mb arocs, since I practically have nothing else to build with, and it gets me almost 3 times the parts for less than double the price of the 42053 + 8293 to motorize it.

I've looked at the 42054 Claas too, which seems to be an interesting build even though there's no pneumatics.

So which of the 3 sets would you buy?

In Sweden they cost around:

42053 + 8293: €100+€35

42054: €150

42043: €190

Respectively.

I dont mind getting other recommended sets, just keep in mind that I'm not interested in building car replicas or the like. I want a model with functions and interesting technical solutions, preferably jammed in a compact model. :)

Hmm as consideration I would buy 42038 cause I'm just looking for a bit advanced sets once I get hold of them I'll jump into Pneumatic sets and other motorized sets. Another reason I won't jump into them is the price. Many sets in my country are expensive considering other countries. So I mostly buy my sets from other countries. In my country 42038 and 42042 are rare and 42053,42054,42055 are not there yet.

Between those three I would buy the Mercedes for sure, it has a lot of pneumatic parts and other cool stuff on the side.

Okay. Wanna buy 42043, 42053. 42055 or 42056, but I have a difficult time comparing them, what are the best recommendation?

Edited by Chimaninja454

Okay. Wanna buy 42043, 42053. 42055 or 42056, but I have a difficult time comparing them, what are the best recommendation?

Depends on what you like to build and what you plan to do with sets later.

I have pretty much decided on the 42043, (I asked just before you) because:

A) it seems to contain a little bit of everything, both pf, pneumatics, gearbox, suspension and panels, in a compact model.

B) the other sets will be available longer, since they are newer.

Of course it's up to you to decide, but I made my decision on those grounds.

What are the cheapest set with suspension and cheapest set with pneumatics. I'm guessing the cheapest suspension set for ones available is 42038 and pneumatics 42053. Which makes me wanna buy the 42038 cause it's kinda not bad for the price.

Edited by Kmuffin