Because I want the parts tomorrow :)

Hahaha.. I know that feeling :laugh:. So if you have those sets in mind, go for 42050 as Kman said. The only "downside" are the tire setup because you get 2 pairs in different sizes, but hey! 2 are tumbler tires :classic:

i would not buy any old set at this point and wait/save money for 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

I purchased both of them, 42049 and 42050, and out of those two I recommend 42050.

So glancing at Amazon (U.S), Technic sets are discounted. So I was looking at a few of the mid size sets to buy. I'm debating between buying the 42039 or biuying 42038 and 42040 together as I can get them for roughly the same price. Which would provide the best parts and building experience? I like the 42039 as I'm a fan of cars, but the other 2 sets offer more parts for the same price and plus instead of having one set I'll have 2 to build.

Thoughts?

I would go for the 42038 and 42040 just for the value, parts selection and the whole having two things instead of one. If the 42039 had standard green parts I'd already have one, but as it is, I might regret not having one if the bright green parts selection expands significantly in future. Orange and white seem to be safer bets in this respect.

Get them both and show us a tracked arctic plane!

A hard decision. Well, it depends on what pieces are you looking for. For example 42039 provides enough pieces to build your own car because you get the basic pieces for that. It has also a great variety of panels and the well appreciated 19l soft axles. The downside is the bright green. About 42038, it has a great variety of special pieces, but the downside is the quantity of each one.

In terms of building experience, having booth, the 42039 is a lot better than 42038, especially when you can build the endless and great alternative models.

I can't say anything about 42040

BUT

Looking you Bricksafe I think that the best option to you is buying 42038 and 42040. You have too many cars/trucks, so I think it's time for a tracked vehicle and plane :laugh:

Currently, 42043, 42030, 42009, 42042 will give you a great set of parts in their own field giving you the ability to make and design your mocs with satisfying freedom

I'm currently building up my collection, having picked up the Merc AROCS, Volvo Wheel Loader and the Mobile Crane Mk II. But which flagship set would you get next?

I have offers on the Motorised Excavator 8043 and the Crane Truck 8258 - but what do you seasoned Technics collectors think? Which flagship sets are definite must-haves at any price, and which ones could you live without?

Thanks!

No, I mean what current (or retired) sets should I get next. Some of them are prohibitively expensive, like the Limited Edition 4x4 Crawler - but are they worth it?

Edited by Weezer

It depends what you like/want. If you are looking for flagships, both 8043 and 8258 are worth to try. Some older supercars like 8880 and 8448 are good choice as well. 41999 is essentially a different body over 9398 chassis, so if you not looking for exlusiveness you'd better look just for 9398. There is nothing much spectacular about this set apart crawling remotely.

Yup...merging...

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I've been in two minds about the Crawler 4x4, but maybe I'll promote it up the list! I think 8043 and 8258 are definitely next, although I do like the look and size of the blue Crawler Crane too. With the new sets due in August, this could be an expensive year...

Edited by Weezer

What do you think about 42005 as parts pack? How much you would pay for it? In Colombia Lego Store costs 35USD

I wouldn't buy it, more expensive sets get you more parts per dollar

True. Though I can't spend too much. But doing some maths I think is better to buy specific parts. Thank you anyway

Hi everyone,

I recently came back to this amazing world of Lego Technic, and within a few months I collected a few sets that I consider to be great.

Long story short, I have the following: 8043, 9398, 42000, 42009, 42030, 42039, 42043, 42056.

Any other flagship set from the studless era that you recommend buying?

Thanks.

Edited by Catalinanmb

I can think of a few, but if I were you I would look for these first:

8110 - A fine set on its own (albeit with a glaring flaw - it's steering), but the sheer scope and ease of modding the set makes it stand out.

42043 - Like 8110, but more recent. In particular, the chassis and steering stand out as solid, clever pieces of design.

8258 - Still one of the best looking vehicles TLG has designed, and provides some excellent functionality on top.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the 42043, that's why 8110 does not sound so interesting anymore.

I like the 8258, maybe I'll get a good deal on ebay or bricklink for it.

Whoops, I read that as 42042, my bad :blush:

I would still give the Unimog a look though, there's a thread on here where someone made an "Ultimate Unimog" out of all the best fixes and mods.

Oh, 8455 is also worth your time. It's quite old now, but legendary for the sheer volume and complexity of pneumatics (10 cylinders!).

Hi everyone,

I recently came back to this amazing world of Lego Technic, and within a few months I collected a few sets that I consider to be great.

Long story short, I have the following: 8043, 9398, 42000, 42009, 42030, 42039, 42043, 42056.

Any other flagship set from the studless era that you recommend buying?

Thanks.

I have the 42043 - great set at a great price. When 42055 comes out, that's the set that I've got my sights on. I've heard it'll be considerably cheaper than 42056, and it has so many more pieces.