The Unimogs major selling point (for me at least) is that it is a great base for building attachments, if this is something you think you would like to do?

That certainly appeals to me. I saw your post about the scissor lift... fantastic project and very interesting to see the progress!

Right now it's become a matter of cost-benefit for me. At the RRP of £155, Unimog was good value for money. At more than £250, it becomes less so for me. I do however love the look of the cabin and the overall structure and am drawn to buy it for that alone. :wacko: don't know what to do!!

Hello All,

So I currently have two RC Buggy motors and numerous PF elements. I want to purchase one of the older Technic Racers sets with the entire RC system included. I have narrowed my choices down to the 8475 Race Buggy and the 8366 Supersonic RC.

8475 Race Buggy

- Has a great array of shock absorbers including 4 soft 6.5L shocks in red and 2 hard 10L springs in red.

- Has rare tires in an ideal size for some of my builds

8366 Supersonic RC

- Has a decent amount of tubes and hoses of which I have few

- Has tires that I do not have

- Is more popular and therefore there are more Supersonic RCs available to buy

Please let me know of any suggestions about which one I should or should not buy. I am very open to new ideas!

Thanks

P.s Just making sure, the 8675 Outdoor Challenger does not have buggy motors, correct?

I think Supersonic is better, and no, the Outdoor Challenger doesn't has any buggy motors, it is entirely another system

Edited by LXF

I would choose the supersonic rc, it has many more parts an rare plastic wheels, plus it uses the faster output of the motors.

The 8475 indeed has shock absorbers, but the rest of the parts selection is not that useful.

If you also want to 'play' with them, the supersonic is much more fun to drive (but you can easily loose the light bars) and faster but the 8475 is a bit more nimble due to it's shorter wheelbase.

i have two of both models and the 2 8475's are parted out.

Just to help the discussion ... The OP is debating between these two vehicles

8475-1.jpg

8366-1.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Just to help the discussion ... The OP is debating between these two vehicles

8475-1.jpg

8366-1.jpg

Thanks.

And to everyone else, I agree. It seems that the 8366 has more pieces and is therefore more useful.

Edited by PunkTacoNYC

While 8366 has more parts I'd take 8475, here's why:

1. 8475 has some of pieces in hard to get colours (red shock absorbers, Black axle pins)

2. greater number of pieces in 8366 are in Light Gray, which is pretty much useless these days

3. 8475 has 8 tyres in two sizes, rather than 4 of one size in 8366

4. seems like 8366 doesn't have a suspension at all.

That's what kind of decision I made before acquiring 8475. Now I'm passively looking for 8366.

Hello Forum seniors:

I am a newbie from India.

I have a whole load of the earlier / smaller Technic sets (Sub $50) - Cars/ bikes from around 2012. I purchased a 42009 (MK II Crane) in 2015 and trust me, after converting the $ to Rupee equation, it was a huge amount.

Well, I now have a nice situation where I need your guidance - I got a tidy bonus in this month and friends from US can bring a Technic set for me. I am looking at the 42043 (Arocs) or the 42030 (Volvo). I have been reading this section for some answers on which to select and honestly, am not able to make a decision.

I am seeing the 42043 at around $200 while the 42030 is a shade higher at around $240. So, my lead question is - starting with 42009 (MK II Crane) already at home, which should be the second set I buy - the 42043 (Arocs) or the 42030 (Volvo)? I'm looking at reusability for possible MOD pieces between the 2 sets with 42009 already in the house.

I'm tilting a little towards the 42043 because of its cool looks (the yellow Volvo in 42030 does not look that cool since I have already got the 42009 Volvo crane) but then the guidance of this Forum is most appreciated.

On a related note, can you also please give me some recommendations on storage boxes for the smaller Technics (I intend to merge them) as well as for the 42009?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Newbie from India

So, my lead question is - starting with 42009 (MK II Crane) already at home, which should be the second set I buy - the 42043 (Arocs) or the 42030 (Volvo)? I'm looking at reusability for possible MOD pieces between the 2 sets with 42009 already in the house.

Well, both are satisfying sets to have and build, so your options are great. The Arocs has much more pieces and it's more complex. It's a better platform for modding and MOCing because of the number of pieces. It also has pneumatis, which are fun. All in all, I think the Arocs is the best Technic set of them all. But, the Volvo has one very important asset, which is the remote control. It has the servo motor and a complete RC, so if you think you might want to build something with an RC, it has you covered. I suggest you weigh the importance of these to you:

- lots of parts with a more challenging / satisfying build (Arocs)

- pneumatics (Arocs)

- RC with 3 motors (Volvo)

I hope this helps even a bit.

On a related note, can you also please give me some recommendations on storage boxes for the smaller Technics (I intend to merge them) as well as for the 42009?

Have you checked the working place thread at http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86174, it may give you some inspiration.

Edited by Beard

Dear Vassal:

Many thanks for taking time out to reply and for your pointers on the choice. You reduced the entire debate to such a fine distillate ;)

I'm getting a new Arocs for around US$180 while a used Volvo set seems to be available at around US$170. Should that change the discussion? Currently, I am still veering towards the Arocs from my heart but my mind is considering the Volvo for the same reason that you mention - from a cost/ efficiency perspective for the RC parts.

For the boxes/ storage solution, with my 2 kids in the apartment, asking for a dedicated work area is unthinkable. I do however need some proper storage boxes/ containers as the sets are loosing pieces now. I will look at the thread you linked and then try to buy something similar - in terms of size etc. Thanks for that too.

Regards,

Sandeep

For the boxes/ storage solution, with my 2 kids in the apartment, asking for a dedicated work area is unthinkable. I do however need some proper storage boxes/ containers as the sets are loosing pieces now. I will look at the thread you linked and then try to buy something similar - in terms of size etc. Thanks for that too.

Regards,

Sandeep

Hi Sandeep,

Simple Tupperware boxes of suitable size might help you keep your pieces locked up and out of reach of younger builders in your apartment until they are of suitable age as to not lose precious bricks. I think in your case security and ease of storage is more important than being organized (which can wait maybe until you have the luxury of a separate work space). I would suggest stackable and air tight boxes which are big enough to hold all your bricks and which can be conveniently stored out of reach until you want to access them.

Thanks for the replies,

I have gone with the 8475 Buggy!

I am also happy to announce that I plan to make a review of it, perhaps the first of the 8475 set on youtube! (as I cannot find any :grin: ).

Now I must wait for my order to arrive..... :wacko:

What about Hot Flame? - http://brickset.com/sets/8376-1/Hot-Flame-RC-Car

I have 2 HotFlames, and one 8475...

and Hotflame is sometimes more fun to play with, as it comes with hard-plastic 'drifting' wheels.. as well as the ability to pop wheelies...

Be aware, that even in mint condition, the old 9V wires may be in poor condition - the plastic coating breaks down after many years

What about Hot Flame? - http://brickset.com/...ot-Flame-RC-Car

I have 2 HotFlames, and one 8475...

and Hotflame is sometimes more fun to play with, as it comes with hard-plastic 'drifting' wheels.. as well as the ability to pop wheelies...

Be aware, that even in mint condition, the old 9V wires may be in poor condition - the plastic coating breaks down after many years

At first I was considering the hot flame. This was until, however, I realized that the hot flame sets have RC units that DO NOT have the secondary, auxiliary output. I just figured that the 8475 had everything I wanted plus the auxiliary output for extra motors/functions.

But thanks anyway!

Merging with the generic which set should I buy topic.

Any idea what kind of mocs you would use them for?

Unimog attachments, maybe a trailer of some sort. The large wheels and panels in 42050 would be good but it is 30% more here than 42049...

Why not order the pieces that you really need? It should be cheaper, I guess.

Anyway, from my point of view, both sets don't have enough pieces to build a trailer in the proportions of the unimog. I'd say that the best set for you could be 42029

I agree but between the two you said Paul, I'd say 42050 is better (more panels).

Why not order the pieces that you really need? It should be cheaper, I guess.

Anyway, from my point of view, both sets don't have enough pieces to build a trailer in the proportions of the unimog. I'd say that the best set for you could be 42029

Because I want the parts tomorrow :)

This was not just t build a trailer but to add to my parts collection to do it...

I agree but between the two you said Paul, I'd say 42050 is better (more panels).

That is what I am thinking...