Yes 8258 is less complicated then 8285. But, if you got the change to buy 8285 i advise you to do so, it is a very very nice truck with (in my opinion) one of the best designs out there.

As i am just building the 8285 - compared to the 8258 it is rather dull. The 8258 has a great European design. The 42043 is more or less its successor.

The Unimog is in a league of its own. Not just size wise. It is an ideal base for modding and adding all kind of attachments.

The Unimog is in a league of its own. Not just size wise. It is an ideal base for modding and adding all kind of attachments.

This is what I am doing at the moment, so many options with using the Unimog as a base for attachments :)

You're trying to decide between these three ... Well, I have all three, and in all honesty the red truck is my favorite. A large collection of very useful parts and very intricate design/assembly. Though, either one you pick, you can't go wrong.

8258-1.jpg8285-1.jpg8110-1.jpg

I don't get the hype about 8285. In my view it's pretty average. Yes, it's huge, has a lot of very useful parts for a reasonable price, and has silver elements and a nice design, but purely from a technical perspective, I found it didn't really break new ground. It has a lot of open space.

Also, it has the old style panels which match badly with the new style.

So, it's a pick between the other two, 8258 and 8110. And I think you can't go wrong with either. Both are very nice on functions and complexity, and both have a nice package and a great parts inventory. You can certainly learn new things from both sets.

Edited by Erik Leppen

From my point of view the 8258 is better then 8285 even tough the overall view is nice but not so much parts and Functions.

8258. 8110 is great if you intend to MOC all sorts of attachments to make use of the PTO and/or pneumatic lines.

Hi, I'm new to Technic. I bought the 42032 last month and for being such a small set I have been having a blast with it. I've built the A and B models a few times and have played around MOC'ing various things. I'm looking to get some more sets. My interests are mainly in construction, farming, MOCs and C Models.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a mid-range set that is currently available in stores. I am eyeing the 42043 but won't be able to buy it until later this year. Is the 42042 good for a part set? Would I be better off combining a few smaller sets? Budget for right now is around $150 US.

Edited by cadre

My honest recommendation is not to combine small sets, but instead go for the bigger ones. With bigger sets, the building experience is usually great. Unless of course you are buying for parts and get a good discount on smaller sets.

I think the 42042 is fantastic. I actually bought two, because it's such a great platform for modding into a big big Liebherr crane. But first I just built the basic crane and it was a really good experience. I'd say it's quite close to the Arocs actually.

Hi, I'm new to Technic. I bought the 42032 last month and for being such a small set I have been having a blast with it. I've built the A and B models a few times and have played around MOC'ing various things. I'm looking to get some more sets. My interests are mainly in construction, farming, MOCs and C Models.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a mid-range set that is currently available in stores. I am eyeing the 42043 but won't be able to buy it until later this year. Is the 42042 good for a part set? Would I be better off combining a few smaller sets? Budget for right now is around $150 US.

Another set I'd recommend is 42039. There is lots of C Models for this set.

Though 42042 looks really nice and I might consider that myself in the near future, but haven't followed it much so far. Just jumped back in recently so warming back up.

Got to say though the 42043 is great. About 30min left to assemble the last bit of it. Very exciting build IMO and well worth the money for the parts you get with it.

Also picking up 42030 tonight on my way home, finally arrived at the store.

Are you looking at any RC capabilities?

Are you looking at any RC capabilities?

I'm not looking for RC yet, it might be something I expand into in the future. Right now I'm mainly looking at expanding my stock of parts and learning build techniques. I'm also considering 42038, I like the orange and the tracks.

... I am eyeing the 42043 but won't be able to buy it until later this year. Is the 42042 good for a part set? Would I be better off combining a few smaller sets? Budget for right now is around $150 US.

I bought 42043 when it came out last year and got 42042 for Christmas and out of the two, 42042 is my favourite. Sure the part count is smaller, but it feels like a more impressive model. Plus it has one of the best gearboxes around.

Hi guys, hope you are all good.

I am looking at getting a Technic set or two and was wondering what choice I should get.

I am looking between the 24 Hours Race Car 42039 or getting both Drag Racer 42050 and Race Kart 42048.

I am looking for them to be functional and also having an interesting build.

What would you suggest?

Hi guys, hope you are all good.

I am looking at getting a Technic set or two and was wondering what choice I should get.

I am looking between the 24 Hours Race Car 42039 or getting both Drag Racer 42050 and Race Kart 42048.

I am looking for them to be functional and also having an interesting build.

What would you suggest?

Hi

The 42039 has more unique and useful parts than 42050 and 42048 together: Shock absorbers, steering parts, frames, panels, a differential etc. The model is funny to build (A and B), there are many alternative models with instructions and it's easy to motorize.

The 42050 is only good for the tumbler tires but you get only 2, and being honest the bodywork is simple. The 42048 is a great model but in the small segment

Hi,

I have just picked up a bunch of current and recent Technics sets (at face value and recently retired older sets at a premium).

I noticed the upcoming 2016 sets and am lusting after all of them.

Which of these should I get ahead of others?

I wish I could get them all, but finances will probably prohibit it :look:

Oh also thought I'd ask...

One of the recently retired sets I had my beady eye on was the Unimog and I was monitoring used prices on ebay.

However I have bought the Arocs set and read some posts that Arocs supersedes the Unimog in terms of complexity, functions etc.

Now that I have 42043, should I still have 8110 in my list of sets to acquire? Keep in mind that prices will only go up so the longer I keep it pending, the more it will cost me.

Hard to tell which of the upcoming 2016 sets to recommend since we don't have all the details yet. You can find some videos on youtube from the toy fairs that might help you make a planning decision. I'm looking forward to 42053 since I would like to get some pneumatics.

Oh also thought I'd ask...

One of the recently retired sets I had my beady eye on was the Unimog and I was monitoring used prices on ebay.

However I have bought the Arocs set and read some posts that Arocs supersedes the Unimog in terms of complexity, functions etc.

Now that I have 42043, should I still have 8110 in my list of sets to acquire? Keep in mind that prices will only go up so the longer I keep it pending, the more it will cost me.

I have both the Arocs and Unimog. That being said the Arocs seems has more functionality to it. More complex and overall nicer build IMO. Though having both side by side, who am I to say not to have both of them :)

I have both the Arocs and Unimog. That being said the Arocs seems has more functionality to it. More complex and overall nicer build IMO. Though having both side by side, who am I to say not to have both of them :)

I wish I had been bitten by the technic bug in the days when the crane truck MK2 - 42009, excavator - 8043 and unimog - 8110 were in production. Then I wouldn't have had to pay a premium on account of the sets being retired and could have had all of them side by side with their successors!

Already paid extra for the first 2, now looking at the prospect of a £65 premium for a Unimog :angry:

Is it worth that much more for the pleasure of having it alongside the Arocs?

Edited by brickmeistro

The Unimogs major selling point (for me at least) is that it is a great base for building attachments, if this is something you think you would like to do?

I wish I had been bitten by the technic bug in the days when the crane truck MK2 - 42009, excavator - 8043 and unimog - 8110 were in production. Then I wouldn't have had to pay a premium on account of the sets being retired and could have had all of them side by side with their successors!

Already paid extra for the first 2, now looking at the prospect of a £65 premium for a Unimog :angry:

Is it worth that much more for the pleasure of having it alongside the Arocs?

I am pondering here with the exact same question. I really like the Arocs, and that probably means I will also like the Unimog.

I am pondering here with the exact same question. I really like the Arocs, and that probably means I will also like the Unimog.

You will :)