Dang. Analysis paralysis!

LOL.

The Unimog didn't seem to go up that much in price. It was $250 CAD originally. Now it is going for around $280 CAD new on Bricklink.

LOL.

The Unimog didn't seem to go up that much in price. It was $250 CAD originally. Now it is going for around $280 CAD new on Bricklink.

I got one for $240 CAN on an ebay auction (plus shipping)

Edited by Kman860

I think the Unimog is my favorite so far even though I don't care for pneumatics. Modding those accessories seems fun.

The Arocs has cool suspension but I would probably be only interested in the first few 'booklets' until the frame is finished. So buying top dollar unless the price is really low might not be worth it.

Well... At least this thread is entertaining! :-)

the uminog is a great model for modders like me

i bought mine a year ago for €200 and i loved it. Made it RC drive and went of to the forest.

the arocs isn't you don't have much place to make it better or you would have to get rid of the pneumatics and the gearbox

Yeah I think I brought it down to 2 sets now:

- 8110 Unimog: for it's modding, suspension is very similar to 4x4 Crawler after studying the instructions (correct?)

- 42043 Arocs: for it's suspension and drivetrain, and I'm assuming I should be able to find it at a nicely discounted price, new, over the next couple of weeks

42009 Mobile Crane fell off, since the drivetrain is too simple, just 6 wheel steering, and I'm familiar already with complex gearboxes from the Crawler Crane. 42030 Volvo didn't make the shortlist since it's really a very simple build from a technical standpoint, and actually unrealistic since it uses multiple motors vs multiple drivetrains connecting both sides of the vehicle. I liked the double RC set though.

Unimog vs Arocs:

Unimog has more realistic and better looks (IMO)

And the unmog itself is much more modd-able than the Arocs cause of the plenty of room inside

Cincerning MODs i doubt the Unimog is beatable by any set

And you can add all missing Features the Arocs has out of the Box (like openable doors or tiltable bed) by yourself

But out of the Box the Arocs has more Features and also the better crane...

About the Unimog - you might need to mod the steering straight out of the box, it really isn't up to the same standard as the rest of the model (for comparison the Arocs steering isn't a masterpiece, but I think it's better and quite clever given the lack of space). However with the Unimog being so easy to mod, you can take your pick from a quick fix like removing the stoppers to redesigning the whole front axle depending on time/parts availability. A quick Google will show you what other owners have done.

Speaking of availability, generally I've been better served buying older (i.e. out of print) sets first while looking out for a good price for a set still in production. The price of 8110 hasn't moved much from what I can see, and I think there will still be some room for the price of the Arocs to drop so if I were you I would get 8110 now and leave 42043 for later. Of course, this all depends on where you are and if you can buy sets locally or have to get them shipped to you from elsewhere.

Edited by Jay Psi

Yeah, i would confirm the steering issue...but simple ti fix for at least reasonable performance

About MODs: no need ti Google. Just search this forum- there is a 80 pages thread just for Unimog MODs

The very bad bump steering is IMHO the biggest pitfall of the Unimog. And this is only fixable by a complete redesign of the whole front axle

Only problem is that's not for sale :laugh:

I know, but he had made a better version than TLG will ever make and I think it doesn't cost much more parts wise.

I know, but he had made a better version than TLG will ever make and I think it doesn't cost much more parts wise.

I agree

Its a cool MOC no question. But it has Not a Technic line finish which i like more. But this is probably personal taste.

Anyway: of you modify the steering using M Motor + 2 mini LAs instead of the servo the 42030 becomes a very well performing model

Efferman has offered this fix Even with stepped BI

Probably an oversight. I don't think regular members can edit tags themselves but a quick message to a mod/admin should do the trick.

Probably an oversight. I don't think regular members can edit tags themselves but a quick message to a mod/admin should do the trick.

Probably. I will send an email.

Hi,

I want to get my second Technic Set - Already I have the 42038 and I want to increase my inventory in terms of quantity and unique parts - so What would you say?

42029, 42039/42025 for 20USD more

My budget is 100-115USD (20-25USD for Shipping)

PS. Looks quiet obvious, and of course, you will choose the biggest sets, but I wanna know if the extra bucks are justified, because my first option is the cheapest one (42029)

Edited by Jonfensu

Hi,

I want to get my second Technic Set - Already I have the 42038 and I want to increase my inventory in terms of quantity and unique parts - so What would you say?

42029 or 42039 for 20USD more

For unique parts, I'd say 42039

Hi,

42029, 42039/42025 for 20USD more

PS. Looks quiet obvious, and of course, you will choose the biggest sets, but I wanna know if the extra bucks are justified, because my first option is the cheapest one (42029)

42029 is retiring, so if you know you want it, get it NOW, 42025 might suffer the same fate, 42039 will stick around for another year.

Id probably go for 42025 in your case, since it also comes with some power functions stuff, which is cool to play with in MOCs, but i think 42039 is the coolest model (currently modding one myself, and i have another one boxed up for a rainy day)

42029 is retiring, so if you know you want it, get it NOW, 42025 might suffer the same fate, 42039 will stick around for another year.

Id probably go for 42025 in your case, since it also comes with some power functions stuff, which is cool to play with in MOCs, but i think 42039 is the coolest model (currently modding one myself, and i have another one boxed up for a rainy day)

I got your point. Seems like the best set for me is 42025. White and orange (42038) make a great combination - just look at the 42052 -. Also It has A LOT panels, and I like the design of A and B Models.

We´ll see what can I do, especially when the COP (Colombian Peso) has been depreciating rapidly in the last months. Atleast, buying in BL is still cheaper than going to a local store

(In example: 42008 cost here, in a local store 236USD !!!!! :wacko: )

Thank you Vector

PS. I envy you :tongue: I wish I had another Technic set "flying" over there in my house, wating for a `rainy day´

Edited by Jonfensu

Well, I´ve done another research and the 42008 that comes with pneumatics and PF looks like a good parts donor. Also the 42000

Forget the 42029 and the 42039 because this will be available in the future.

So

42000, 42008 or 42025 :tongue:

Edited by Jonfensu

Go for the 42008, it was a great build for me, two small pneumatic cylinders, LA, PF and gears, panels and liftarms

Hello everyone :)

I have never thought I will get into Lego again... it was a long time ago I have build something. Too long actually - probably more then 25 years ago :) At that time, growing in communist Czechoslovakia it was almost impossible to get Lego... I still remember how my amazing dad spend days before x-mass trying to get a box of bricks for me... Then I got older and forgot Lego for a long time... till my sister gave me prank gift this x-mass - small box with 42033 so I can run race with my small cousin :) Well I opened the box, smelled fresh bricks, and before I even finished the tiny model I found myself hooked again :)

So now living in (relatively) normal country without fckin communists planning me what I can buy, being adult and having good job I have decided to give myself a treat and spend up to 1000Euro on my old/new hobby - so the reason why I post my first post in this thread - what to get :D

What I like/want:

Obviously - Technic :)

Heavy machinery - cranes mostly! Do not fancy planes/cars much.

Motorized models preferable.

Tracked models and/or models with complex suspension.

Good bang for bucks - ie probably big sets with good price/piece ratio.

Will for sure want to mod/customize - found "ultimate 42009" and am very impressed

As for now I have chosen to order following sets:

This will set me back approx. 600E and seems to me to be reasonable starter set - but I am more then open to suggestions about different options, additional sets etc.

Especially from the point of pieces variety!

TY in advance.

Edited by bru7us

Hello everyone :)

I have never thought I will get into Lego again... it was a long time ago I have build something. Too long actually - probably more then 25 years ago :) At that time, growing in communist Czechoslovakia it was almost impossible to get Lego... I still remember how my amazing dad spend days before x-mass trying to get a box of bricks for me... Then I got older and forgot Lego for a long time... till my sister gave me prank gift this x-mass - small box with 42033 so I can run race with my small cousin :) Well I opened the box, smelled fresh bricks, and before I even finished the tiny model I found myself hooked again :)

So now living in (relatively) normal country without fckin communists planning me what I can buy, being adult and having good job I have decided to give myself a treat and spend up to 1000Euro on my old/new hobby - so the reason why I post my first post in this thread - what to get :D

This brought a genuine tear to my eye. :cry_happy: As a Pole, I feel you, mate.

What I like/want:

Obviously - Technic :)

Heavy machinery - cranes mostly! Do not fancy planes/cars much.

Motorized models preferable.

Good bang for bucks - ie probably big sets with good price/piece ratio.

Will for sure want to mod/customize.

As for now I have chosen to order following sets:

This will set me back approx. 600E and seems to me to be reasonable starter set - but I am more then open to suggestions about different options, additional sets etc.

Especially from the point of pieces variety!

TY in advance.

Dude, you already ordered the best sets to fulfill your needs. My advice? Look for some used sets with not more than 200-300 parts.

8067, 8259, 9390, 9391, stuff like that. Building intricate constructions from a limited set of parts is the best thing to boost your creativity and ingenuity.