42030 Volvo

Because i'm not fan of pneumatics, i even don't like them. I like to play more with electrical drive. This also has remote all functions.

Yes, i enjoeyed building 42043 Arocs because of engineering what is in it. But now it stays built. My son even doesn't play with it.

Doesn't have other two, but i think from them as a second would be Unimog.

The 42030 Volvo is great value (especially as it's often reduced right now) if you need to build a good founding Power Functions/RC base for MOCs. If you add up what you would pay buying all the PF/RC elements as separates at RRP, then the Vovlo is great value in terms of all the other parts on top of the electronic bits.

Cracking build too!

Might i suggest 42000? If sets like 42039, 42042 and such tick the "large" box well enough, 42000 will as well (it is a few inches longer then 42039), and it features very interesting suspension (pushrod + wishbones)

Out of the ones you list, id go for the AROCS based on the drivetrain/axle stuff

Might i suggest 42000?

This was my first. Dind't knew, where it will lead. I just wanted coll looking vehicle. :DFrom my thoughts also more interesting than Arocs.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'll look into them in-depth tonight. I must say 42000 looks very bland at first sight so I'm very intrigued how this could compete against an actual flagship. Please enlighten me!!

P.s. might be useful which set out of those 4 you would definitely not take and why. That way I can perhaps compile a shortlist and bring it systematically down.

Edited by Trango

Arocs offer almost same functions as unimog and its new flagship with great price/piece ratio and its very detailed.

If I had money I will buy arocs...

depends what you are seachring for:

Heavily modding for yourself: Unimog - unbeatable - there are also myriads of attachtments out there

Build a lot of different models from one set: 42009 - probabaly the best parts assortment - there are already several c-models out there - some even with pdf-instructions - there are also BI for building an ultimate full RC version of it - BI and model made by Juergen (and for free charge!). Both A- and B-model out of the box are great.

best playability and most PF: 42030 - but quite boring build and almost not modable

most recent set, most functions/features and probably the most interesting build: 42043 - also very good parts assortment.

Best sets for itself and out of the box: 42043 and 42009 (IMO)

Edited by Kumbbl

I own crane, volvo and arocs, and respecting everything you said about default reasons, pricing, etc., this is my view of those sets:

volvo:

This set's only advantage is RC, which is very big advantage if you're into RC models. The building experience is good, but definitely not so good as with other two sets.

Since it is RC, which means lot of motors for every function, it isn't so interesting from mechanical point of view. B model doesn't really offer much in comparison to A.

crane:

For me probably best set ever. Great building experience, mechanically very complex. B model is by far best B model i have seen. It is conceptually very different from A, which is not something we see very often

with lego, and also provides lot of playability, probably more than A model.

arocs:

i said for crane that is "probably" best set ever, because i still can't decide between crane and arocs. Crane is much more mechanically complex, but arocs have suspension, and of course, pneumatics, and both of them are great.

B model is interesting as a final product (it is also very large), but cabin is literally identical to A, and crane is almost identical, so it doesn't actually offer much. It has, although, interesting outrigger system.

I don't have unimog, but what i can see there is probably no reason to go for it instead of arocs, since they have similar functionalities.

So, my conclusion would be:

Go for volvo only if you like RC.

Go for crane if you like mechanically challenging, contraption-like build, using lot of gears.

Go for arocs if you like pneumatics and suspensions.

Since all the sets are great, definitely take into consideration your own preference for loaders vs cranes vs trucks.

Hmm, as I own all of them I can say the Mercedes 42043 is overall the best. It has suspensions, it has some power functions, it has the new pneumatic elements, it has 12 wheels, it looks very good and it is a great parts pack. I just got 42030 and it did not impress me to much, yes it is RC and has a nice bucket but thats all. So I would say a big +1 for the Arocs.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'll look into them in-depth tonight. I must say 42000 looks very bland at first sight so I'm very intrigued how this could compete against an actual flagship. Please enlighten me!!

P.s. might be useful which set out of those 4 you would definitely not take and why. That way I can perhaps compile a shortlist and bring it systematically down.

42000 is very similar to 42039 in size and scope (and price, new anyway), but it has a few improvements (or rather, 42039 has a few downgrades), the wishbone/pushrod suspension is much more interesting (and accurate), it uses a few small linear actuators rather then the worm-wheel/liftarm setup seen in 42039 for the moving parts. Another important bit for me is that 42000 looks "right" out of the box, it doesnt look like any particular car, but it nails the "2013 F1 car" look dead on, high nose, DRS, V8 engine etc.. 42039 on the other hand is rather off, compared to current LMP1/2 cars. Ive been modding my 42039 quite extensively to get it to look "right", whereas i havent had that urge with 42000 (save for getting it tumbler tires once prices drop)

Honestly though, just think of it as 42039 non-identical (slightly prettier) twin sister, not exactly flag-ship sized or complex, but as good as it gets for technic race cars.

Hi Trango,

There's a pinned Technic Index, which contains most of the useful topics.

Merging topics...

Honestly though, just think of it as 42039 non-identical (slightly prettier) twin sister, not exactly flag-ship sized or complex, but as good as it gets for technic race cars.

Thank you Vectormatic. I won't consider this 42000 set for now, not in my "flagship" lineup, but I am adding it to my wishlist and if I see a nice pricedrop I will pick it up.

Is the 42043 Arocs better in every aspect than the 8110 Unimog? I.e. no point in buying the Unimog nowadays? If this is not the case, what are the pros of the Unimog over the Arocs? Need to check the axles on that Arocs in more detail; are there portalhubs? Are these live axles?

I suppose the Volvo 42030 is dropping to the bottom of the list as well... although some claimed here that it's an interesting build while others said it wasn't. I don't have that type of RC yet (only the one from 4x4 Crawler).

Thank you all for your suggestions, please keep em coming.

Thank you Vectormatic. I won't consider this 42000 set for now, not in my "flagship" lineup, but I am adding it to my wishlist and if I see a nice pricedrop I will pick it up.

Is the 42043 Arocs better in every aspect than the 8110 Unimog? I.e. no point in buying the Unimog nowadays? If this is not the case, what are the pros of the Unimog over the Arocs? Need to check the axles on that Arocs in more detail; are there portalhubs? Are these live axles?

I suppose the Volvo 42030 is dropping to the bottom of the list as well... although some claimed here that it's an interesting build while others said it wasn't. I don't have that type of RC yet (only the one from 4x4 Crawler).

Thank you all for your suggestions, please keep em coming.

I own all 4, so I'd say at least my personal order for buying them (if I had to again) would be:

1-Unimog

2-Arocs

3-Volvo

4-Crane

Some of the pros for the Unimog is it has portals and the Arocs doesn't, and another thing is the Unimog has nearly infinite MODs, because of the box, PTOs and PPTOs, so it's a good way to get started MODing. But I do have to say, the pneumatics on the Arocs are somewhat easier to control.

I don't think Arocs have portahubs like the Unimog. You can download the PDF instructions for the sets your interested in from LEGO.com or Brickset to get an idea of the build and parts.

I don't think Arocs have portahubs like the Unimog. You can download the PDF instructions for the sets your interested in from LEGO.com or Brickset to get an idea of the build and parts.

^

Concerning the only 4 flagship sets you listed, I will definitely go with Arocs - it has more mechanical functions than the Unimog, fixed a few asymmetries of it, and has the new pneumatic (v2) components. The motorized pump is a big plus too, so in one set you get both pneumatic and electric plays and later on if you do MOC/MOD you could start from there.

Crane MK2 is even more mechanically complex than 42043 (in my opinion), but it is yellow again :sadnew: if you don't mind and you can find one cheap it will definitely be your next target.

Volvo, as all the other posters said, is PF components rich and you get 2 RC from it. The downside is that it has very simple mechanics and since you already build quite a few recent years Technic sets, it might not be that attractive to you. Another downside (maybe just for me) is the steering of Volvo seems... slacking. I would say even the Crane Crawler and the Crane Truck are much more fun than Volvo - although one of them is not the flagship and the other one is older, they still give me better play time than Volvo. That being said, I got Volvo last year first when I came out from the dark age just because of the RC... :grin:

So... for me, Arocs > Crane MK2 > Volvo > Unimog. Of course you will eventually get them all once you get addicted like everyone else :laugh:

The motorized pump is a big plus too, so in one set you get both pneumatic and electric plays and later on if you do MOC/MOD you could start from there.

To be fair, the Unimog has a motorized pump too, and electrical/pneumatic

No worries, i know it isnt a true flagship, but considering you had 42039 and 42042 in the lineup i figured it was worth mentioning :classic:

No worries, i know it isnt a true flagship, but considering you had 42039 and 42042 in the lineup i figured it was worth mentioning :classic:

I'd still like to find 42000 some day

To be fair, the Unimog has a motorized pump too, and electrical/pneumatic

Yep, I'm comparing this to 42009 and 42030. Sorry for the confusion.

Wow. I see flaws in every model now, reading the feedback and watching the speedbuilds.

Volvo has RC but limited functions.

Unimog has cool frame but pneumatics don't interest me that much.

Mobile Crane is nicely complex but too slow and lacks suspension and a more realistic drivetrain.

Arocs has cool but limited suspension but again pneumatics.

Dang. Analysis paralysis!

I personally like both the Unimog.

Don't like the Volvo, to bulky.

Love the MOC Volvo L250G M-Longer has build