I have both. I got 42030 first and I found it a nice build (my first studless Technic set) and I liked that everything was RC. Lots of PF bits there (every current motor type, 2 IR receivers and remotes, and a battery box) and large wheels that are free for MOCs. Certainly good for a starter model, particularly if you're missing PF. Functions are what you'd expect, but a little limited.

42009 is WAY more complex, functionally. I thought the truck was pretty complicated, but then I got to the cab. You're basically assembling a ton of axles and transferring power between them with regular gears, and past them with clutch gears. Still haven't figured the cab out. Once assembled, it's interesting to play with and see the functions working, but a lack of RC is annoying—solved in this MOC though: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/jurgen/ultimate-42009

You get a ton of gears, panels, and useful stuff in 42009. 42030 is worth it if you want the RC stuff and the wheels.

Im not fan of RC sets, so I rather choose huge pile of bricks with adding building practice for same bucks.

I also have both. i would say if you are looking to get power functions, go for 42030. if you are not into the power functions, then just go for 42009. both are good, both have lots of parts, and both are playable

What kind of guy are you? I'm a crane guy, so I got 42009 and passed on 42030.

I am an rc guy but i want to get more pieces. Especially the long steering bars. But i also want more motors and a 4th normal remote. I found these sites and questioned which price was better, i know that the volvo has 135 euro of rc so that's 50 euro for the parts with this reduction. But the crane has 1000 parts more than the volvo.

So is the crane with 2606 parts at €150 worth his price more than the volvo at €180 with €135 of pf functions

I have a vague ambition to start MOCing in technic with RC cars in mind for my 4yo son. I have 8110, 8070, 8265, 8043. I treated myself to 42008 and 42029 for Christmas. Now I have a choice of 42000 or 42039 and I'm leaning to 42039. 42000 is EOL and 42039 will be available for a couple of years, I'm not really into F1 or white though. Is there any reason to prefer 42000?

Thanks!

Edited by robuko

42000 has the bigger tires, linear acuators, and lots of good panels. 42039 has lots of panels, but in odd colors. Both are good starter packs, but I like 42000 better

Picked up hot rod 42022 the other day for $15. I am not too excited about the model. But for the money seems like an ok parts box. Dont know if to keep for myself or just give to someone as present :tongue:

42000 has the bigger tires, linear acuators, and lots of good panels. 42039 has lots of panels, but in odd colors. Both are good starter packs, but I like 42000 better

Also, 42000 has the new wheel hubs/spindles, though you could always get those from Bricklink

Hey there, this is my first post on this forum (please excuse my english but i'm from Romania and my skills aren't so great - only member from this country i think ).

Last year i bought Technic set 8053, which was the first big Lego Technic sets, so this year i plan on buying another one. I have 2 sets that raised my interest 8265 and 8069. In your opinion, which should i buy ? I looked over some reviews and 8265 looks much complex / bigger / better but 8069 looks ok too.

So, what should i buy ? :D

Both are great sets IMO. 8069 is a large backhoe/loader chock full of functions. Back in 2003, in case you didn't know, the 8455 Backhoe/Loader came out and it was incredible. Fully pneumatic and very realistic. The 8069 looks very similar and is about the same size, but everything is manually operated with gearknobs, levers, but functions great, and suprisingly being a 2011 release the price hasn't risen much on the market. As far as the 8265, good luck getting a good price on it nowadays, they are worlds away in term of cost, but it is an incredible loader, but definitely get an 8293 Power Functions set complete w/ motor, battery box, switch, and LED light kit, unless you want to crank the gearknobs about 200x to use the front bucket. And, the alternate model of the 8265, a log grabber, is fun to mess with also.

Like I said, both great sets, but if you want a great functioning model on a budget, the 8069 really delivers. Another great mention that came out same time as the 8265 is the 8258 Crane Truck. That's a fun one too, but costs somewhat more than the 8265 Loader, but the offset is motorization is included out of the box. Check out www.bricklink.com, its a great source and about the best prices, and many times you can find a good used one as well.

Btw, as far as the 8053 set, I prefer the alternate Harbor Crane over the mobile crane version, but I also heavily modified the harbor crane, but even if not modified, its fun to watch the device on the crane grab onto the containers, one of the better alternate models. I had a heck of a time with the string staying on the pulley as it was reeled back in, and here again unless you motorize the mobile crane, its a LOT of cranking to raise the boom.

Edited by DarkShadow73

I've never been interested in technic but 42035 really catches my eyes.

So true. It really captures the looks of the real machine in such a cute little set.

Both are great sets IMO. 8069 is a large backhoe/loader chock full of functions. Back in 2003, in case you didn't know, the 8455 Backhoe/Loader came out and it was incredible. Fully pneumatic and very realistic. The 8069 looks very similar and is about the same size, but everything is manually operated with gearknobs, levers, but functions great, and suprisingly being a 2011 release the price hasn't risen much on the market. As far as the 8265, good luck getting a good price on it nowadays, they are worlds away in term of cost, but it is an incredible loader, but definitely get an 8293 Power Functions set complete w/ motor, battery box, switch, and LED light kit, unless you want to crank the gearknobs about 200x to use the front bucket. And, the alternate model of the 8265, a log grabber, is fun to mess with also.

Like I said, both great sets, but if you want a great functioning model on a budget, the 8069 really delivers. Another great mention that came out same time as the 8265 is the 8258 Crane Truck. That's a fun one too, but costs somewhat more than the 8265 Loader, but the offset is motorization is included out of the box. Check out www.bricklink.com, its a great source and about the best prices, and many times you can find a good used one as well.

Btw, as far as the 8053 set, I prefer the alternate Harbor Crane over the mobile crane version, but I also heavily modified the harbor crane, but even if not modified, its fun to watch the device on the crane grab onto the containers, one of the better alternate models. I had a heck of a time with the string staying on the pulley as it was reeled back in, and here again unless you motorize the mobile crane, its a LOT of cranking to raise the boom.

Well, since that post was from 2011 I must admit i bought all the sets that you mentioned :grin: . Tho, i must admit the hardest one to get was 8258.

I've never been interested in technic but 42035 really catches my eyes.

42035 is a nice small-medium size truck. The thing that caught my eye we're the new angled yellow panels on the dump bed.

Well, since that post was from 2011 I must admit i bought all the sets that you mentioned :grin: . Tho, i must admit the hardest one to get was 8258.

Oops...guess I didn't look at the date when I replied. Now I see it does stretch all the way back to 2011...my bad. Have you been able to find an 8258? They can be found from Amazon Marketplace sellers, but at a premium now, possibly eBay. But, I have 5 of them right now still in the box and only have partially built one. I bought a bunch back when they came out in 2009. I did have one assembled but had to take it down when moving, so I'm just now rebuilding it. I had modified it some and one thing it lacked with PF was the LED light kit, so I added one and put the lights in the holes of the front end fairings, it lit up my bathroom, pretty cool.

I own just about every Technic set that has been released since 2003, starting with the 8455 Backhoe/Loader and then the 8436 Truck, it revived my interest in Lego as a whole. Since then, I have pretty much every set with the exception a few of the smaller ones that didn't interest me, I keep my inventory on Brickset. I went retro as well and bought quite a few pre-2003 sets. I find all of them have their different interests to me, and some, esp in past couple years, amaze me for not only the massive amount of functions, but their good looks too. Then, I joined here and lurked for a while, reading other's posts and have built some nice MOCs and modified quite a few other sets, changed colors on certain parts of a set. Bricklink has been great for buying parts you need, although like many of you if I can get a good deal on a set that has many useful parts or some I need for an MOC I will part it out. I need to get some pics uploaded to show off some of my work. I'm no master, wouldn't even consider calling myself that, but I've learned a great deal here, and like many of you have also tried other's mods, I think the Ultimate 8043 is my favorite.

Hello. I want to buy one of this set, both are very good and I can't decide... I want to see yours opinions :sweet: .

8458 Silver champion - from 2000, 1431 pieces

or

8466 4x4 Off-roader - from 2001, 1102 pieces

Personally, I like the 8466 is the better of the two. I love the military color panels. But, each have their own genre too, 8458 being a F-1 Racer and 8466 being an off-roader. I'm rather biased, not much into race cars, except for maybe the street racing car 8448, and I love off-roaders and 4x4's. I have the 8297 (not true off-roader, a Jeep replica in many respects), 8466, 8110, 41999, 9398, and I love them all, the latter 2 being RC. It would be nice if there was a motor/RC decoupler of sorts so you could move it around without using the remote, but that doesn't detract from the fun, and all are great builds.

Edited by DarkShadow73

Not a technic set but we got this for my son recently '70165 Ultra Agents Mission HQ'

and I was impressed that it came with :

2 x 5by7 Beam Frames

12 x Black Flatpanels

and

6 x Silver metallic 11M Beams

plus many other technic pieces (oh and 8 wheels)

Edited by Rockbrick

the 8466 has no equivalents (and when buying second hand make sure you get the proper wheels with it - I see some sellers putting the 9398 type crawler wheels on instead).

The silver champion is pretty much identical to the licensed williams and ferrari F1 sets (8461 and 8674)

Mind you , this is 3-4 years after the original request.

I'd have said if you can find an 8466 for reasonable money, go with that one, then think about the F1 later if you want it.

If you have both, you can put together NK's most awesome supercar too!

Edited by bonox

the 8466 has no equivalents (and when buying second hand make sure you get the proper wheels with it - I see some sellers putting the 9398 type crawler wheels on instead).

The silver champion is pretty much identical to the licensed williams and ferrari F1 sets (8461 and 8674)

I can't disagree with the recommendation to buy 8466, but I must point out that the silver champion is nothing like the 8674 Ferrari. They are built completely differently. The only similarity is that they are the same scale and both F1 racers. On the other hand silver champion and williams racer are nearly identical.

One recommendation to the 8466 vs 8458 question. With no doubt the 4x4 is by far the more interesting set. For a formula one i would either buy 8461 ( which is 99% identical but has the modern panels and has therefore smoother lines) or the 8674 Ferrari which is acomplete different build because completely studdless ( and it is designed by one of my favorite designer/builder ever: nat Kuipers)

Recommend. to 8466: you MUST apply Designer Han's steering MOD (very simple and cheap but nevertheless essential for good steering or better playability Performance) and you must replace the shocks with the harder ones from the Unimog 8110 because the original ones are way to weak at least ob the front axle (BTW. Han's MOD is Not a full redesign but just a quite simple but Important mod on the front axle - it needs about a hand Full of extra parts and enhances also the suspension geometry)

Edited by Kumbbl

The only similarity is that they are the same scale and both F1 racers.

oops. :grin:

I can't disagree with the recommendation to buy 8466, but I must point out that the silver champion is nothing like the 8674 Ferrari. They are built completely differently. The only similarity is that they are the same scale and both F1 racers. On the other hand silver champion and williams racer are nearly identical.

if I had knew back then I would have purchased the Ferrari, at first it looked to me that they were trying to pull another williams :sceptic:

.... you must replace the shocks with the harder ones from the Unimog 8110 because the original ones are way to weak at least ob the front axle....

I disagree. I actually think that the 8466 has the most accurate spring rate of any Technic model ever. The springs compress about halfway with the vehicle weight, exactly like they should.

if I had knew back then I would have purchased the Ferrari, at first it looked to me that they were trying to pull another williams :sceptic:

I had the same thought. When I first saw the box of the Ferrari I thought we were just getting another copy in a new color. Only after I built it did I realize it was completely different.

I disagree. I actually think that the 8466 has the most accurate spring rate of any Technic model ever. The springs compress about halfway with the vehicle weight, exactly like they should.

i disagree... i agree that sometimes in lego models with suspension the suspension is too stiff... but the original suspension of 8466 is IMHO far away from being the most accurate - well you are right, the front axle compresses halfway with the vehicle weight and this alone would not be a drawback but only if the model would come back to this halfway position when compressed further or even completely on the front axle... but this doesn't happen - most of the time the front come only back a little bit but not to its "home position", ie. not to this halfway position... well, the rear axle is overall ok, but i have to repeat, the front axle is a faulty design... not only cause of this too weak suspension but also concerning the big wheels: here a cite from Designer Han's website: "The original steering unit of this model is constructed in such way that both wheels (due to their size and friction) will not stay 'parallel' when this model is pushed forward. Even childs complain about this problem. Therefore, I improved the steering unit by adding a 'front stabilizer'

I completely agree with Han...

here is the link to the needed small MOD: http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/original%20modifications.htm (scoll down to 8466)