Thank You,

You are right, it all depends of my goal. I was a little excited because of attractive price of 8466, but it looks that 9398 will be better for me.

8275 vs 8421 the better set of the two. as in which has the better / design value for money/

regards doug

Well, i do not own 8421 but from what i have heard it is a great set. On the other hand, i just got 8275 and i can tell you it is a great looking set, the RC functions work as they should and its movement is very fast due to the 2 XL motors that drive the beast. The design is ok, nice and big (almost as the same size as 8043) with some nice details. The one thing i love about it and in my opinion it makes it special is the way that it includes studded and studless bricks. The front blade is just amazing (i do not think LEGO will ever make a better looking blade with the new studless beams and panels).

So, i can't really tell you what to do and what to buy, but i can tell you 8275 is a great flagship and if you can find it at a good price is a must have !

Between 42025 (Cargo Plane) and 9396 (Helicopter), which is the better purchase if I can only get one? Both are very similar in that they both have four main functions that can be motorized and one really cool mechanical function (the four way lever and the blade tilt, respectively). In terms of mechanical complexity and overall cleverness, how do the two compare?

In a similar vein, how do 42000 (Grand Prix Racer) and 8070 (Super Car) compare on the same criteria? The Super Car contains two more functions than the Grand Prix Racer, but it costs significantly more since it is discontinued. I know 8070 comes with motors and 42000 does not, but that is not at all a significant benefit to me, considering how they were used.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

For the first part of the question i do not now what to tell you, i do not own any of the sets and don't like planes/helicopters.

Between 42000 and 8070 i would say the Grand Prix Racer is better, it looks great, it has nice tires, nice part assortment and a VERY nice display model. 8070 is a nice set too, but the price is pretty high for what you are getting.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new technic set and am confused between 9398(4x4 crawler) and 42009( mobile crane 2)

The confusion is because I can't decide which would be better option to buy, the price I am getting is almost same.

My problem building moc is I have few pf items. And buying individual parts is a costly option because of extremely high shipping charges for importing in India. So I do want pf elements. I have 1 speed ctrl remote, 2 m motors, 1 xl and 2 receivers. I need normal remote and new motors especially servo for steering.

Another problem is I have only 1 uv joint :laugh: and no differentials! I am new in this.

Also for reference, only technic pieces I have is from 8109 and 1 or 2 small sets.

In 9398, my pf problem is solved but overall I will have few parts.

In 42009 I would miss servo and remote but will have a large number of technic parts.

So there is my confusion :cry_sad:

Ashir

Indian AFOL

If you want to build RC MOCs go for the 9398 but if you preffer MOCs with a lot of functions or more complex the 42009 is the answer, in my opinion of course.

I came out of the dark ages about a year ago, starting from the Architecture line and since then I've built several Star Wars UCS sets and some Creator Expert sets including most of the Modulars.

I'm thinking about jumping back into Technic with 42009... Anyone think I should start smaller? 42006 or 9397 maybe? Or are the instructions for that big-@$$ crane clear enough for someone who's not made a technic set since the 80's?

Edited by rollermonkey

I'm thinking about jumping back into Technic with 42009... Anyone think I should start smaller? 42006 or 9397 maybe? Or are the instructions for that big-@$$ crane clear enough for someone who's not made a technic set since the 80's?

42009 is a great starter set, at least as a parts pack. Playability is a bit mediocre though. The instructions are fine, but make sure the 12t bevel gears on the stabilizers are installed correctly. Should be fine otherwise.

I am sure you will be just fine with the 42009 instructions, i not think you will encounter any problems building the model. However, i find 9397 a very good model and if you can still find it i would say, buy it !

I'm glad I went with 42009.

Despite my last pre-dark ages sets being 850 and 854, (yeah, I'm old) picked it up yesterday, and I'm up to step 32 in book 4, and everything seems to be going well. I had to unwind steps twice earlier, but nothing too drastic. One was a bevel gear on the wrong side of its mated gear and the other was a 4211567 I put in 90* out of position.

I just keep checking everything meshes and spins freely every few steps. :)

Edited by rollermonkey

Hey Guys,

Looking into buying myself a Technic set. I've been playing with Lego since childhood, and I had always been interested in the Technic sets. Since now I have more financial power than when I was a kid :grin: I decided to try some sets out. Last year I bought the 42009 and the 42000 and now I'm looking for another set. I'm not interested in MOCs (yet) so I'm just after a nice build a set that will look good next to my other 2.

I would appreciate any opinions and reasons behind them. Right now I was looking at 3 sets :

Thoughts? Should I consider any other sets?

Thanks and well done to all the contributors in the forum for all the informative content!

Edited by Dr3

9398 is ugly imho, 41999 was way better.

42030 is big, looks good, is playable and you get one motor of each kind in case you get interested in MOCing at some point.

42008... there are better sets. Not a big fan.

9398 is a great set, especially if you like to play around with RC models. To me, it's a fun build.

42030 is fantastic, and like mentioned above, it comes with a ton of great parts. Plus, it's huge, and it'll go great with your 42009.

42008, i wouldn't buy it myself.

I don't think 42008 stands up to the other two and after seeing it IRL its disappointing. However it gives you pneumatics and LAs which are helpful. I would say the 42030 as it seems fun and is huge. 9398 is pretty good and is a good parts pack and its probably going to go out of production soon so if you want it I would buy it soon.

For a set to go with 42009 then 42030 would be best, both construction type machines, 42030 is a fantastic set for working functions also.

9398 is a great functional set which would go with the car theme of 42000 but is a completely different style.

42008 is a smaller set which doesnt really fit with your others, just fits with mid size trucks and machines. Best feature of it is pneumatics, though limited in this style of model.

9398!!!! You have like 4 or 5 different models you can build with it

8110... the Unimog!! A MUST have!!!!

8043 and 9396 after that ;)

Before getting sets 42030, 9398 or Even One of the worst 42008 please get the Unimog 8110 or the Heil 9396 or 9397 which are all better and are all sets where you can't get wrong...

Overall at least the Unimog is a must have and o e of the best sets ever... Just modify the steering and it is the best one cause of the incredible modding possibilities...at least it is the best if that property is important for you ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

8110 is a great set and if you still find in stores you should get it. But if i were you i would look for some earlier sets, like 8258 or 8043. In my opinion, if you find them at good prices these are the sets to get and with little luck you will get them in the second hand market at a decent price.