Lately I've been looking to get back into Technic.

It's been quite a while since my last set, and I'm going to have to lurk around get reassociated with many of the terms and new parts.I do want to grab a set or two to get the feel for the lineup again, and am not sure what's really going to give me the most. I'm not interested in construction or utility vehicles, or anything along those lines at the moment. my main interest lies in supercars, indy cars, etc. I was looking at the Indy car from last year, however I felt the price was outrageous and the sale prices seemed pretty steep even still, and after doing some research here in the Technic forum it appears that you guys agree.

I'm not looking to really MOC just yet as my parts supply is far too low. When I do get into it I plan on pursuing supercars, however that's a story for another day. What I'm looking for here is a set in my criteria that is a good set within itself; Looks good, a lot of nice functions, possibly some cool alternate models, and is within a reasonable price range, somewhere around $50-100.

I fully agree with Blackbird, 42000 is a nice set and you should give it a chance. I think you won t be dissapointed.

Thanks guys, 42000 is a possibility now. I do love the look of the set, I'm just apprehensive about a set that is upwards of $160-170 around me- only sale I have seen it for is about 130, again I'm not familiar with other sets costs and still have much research to do, so I didn't have much to consider it's price against. And right now it's the most easily available set that looks like what I want (I am indeed a big fan of Indy cars)

And I'll be sure to check those out.

If you aren't interested in construction equipment, the pickings get slim. None of the 2014 sets are available in North America until October, so no luck there. The 8070 super car is long out of production. Personally, I recommend you think again about the 42000 race car. I reviewed it here on Eurobricks and did not find it to be overpriced compared with other sets. It is a HUGE model and will certainly reintroduce you to all the modern parts including linear actuators. After that, you can't miss RoscoPCs cars if you like Formula 1.

I fully agree with Blackbird, 42000 is a nice set and you should give it a chance. I think you won t be dissapointed.

Well, at $170 the price is indeed pretty steep, i hope you find it at a much lower price ! Good luck !

Thanks guys, 42000 is a possibility now. I do love the look of the set, I'm just apprehensive about a set that is upwards of $160-170 around me- only sale I have seen it for is about 130, again I'm not familiar with other sets costs and still have much research to do, so I didn't have much to consider it's price against. And right now it's the most easily available set that looks like what I want (I am indeed a big fan of Indy cars)

And I'll be sure to check those out.

$160-$170 for 42000? Someone wants to rob you...

hi

is 8868 set good for start? i allready bought it (price was good) and now i want to know your opinion about this set

ps it was on of my childhood dreams, next to 8880

hi

is 8868 set good for start? i allready bought it (price was good) and now i want to know your opinion about this set

ps it was on of my childhood dreams, next to 8880

Hello amers! Welcome to EB :)

8868 is a great set to start your adventure with Technic - for some people it is the ultimate set :)

The only drawback is that you will not get the idea of what is Lego Technic like nowadays - studless, panels, power functions.

Lately I've been looking to get back into Technic.

It's been quite a while since my last set, and I'm going to have to lurk around get reassociated with many of the terms and new parts.I do want to grab a set or two to get the feel for the lineup again, and am not sure what's really going to give me the most. I'm not interested in construction or utility vehicles, or anything along those lines at the moment. my main interest lies in supercars, indy cars, etc. I was looking at the Indy car from last year, however I felt the price was outrageous and the sale prices seemed pretty steep even still, and after doing some research here in the Technic forum it appears that you guys agree.

I'm not looking to really MOC just yet as my parts supply is far too low. When I do get into it I plan on pursuing supercars, however that's a story for another day. What I'm looking for here is a set in my criteria that is a good set within itself; Looks good, a lot of nice functions, possibly some cool alternate models, and is within a reasonable price range, somewhere around $50-100.

Lego S@H U.S.A site has the 42000 for $129.99 and available now

...wow, that is really high. Just got my for approx 66 Euro

prizes in USA are much higher than in europe or germany...

Hello to all. I am a 22 year old guy. I was fond of Lego when I was 8-14 years old. After I had a period where I have not bought anything. my last set, bought in about 2002, there were a 8462 and a 8479. Now let me start with the lego. I am undecided on two sets of purchase: 8110 and 8043. I have a budget of approximately € 250 +. Which of the two sets is the most interesting in terms of the solutions adopted and mechanisms?

I was very convinced by 8043 but I saw the Volvo 42030 will be released in August that surely will take. I would not find myself with two sets are very similar so I took into consideration the Unimog. What do you say?Do you think that they are too similar? It is worthwhile to buy now the 8043 and the 42030 in August or instead being sure to buy the volvo is best to take the Unimog now and then the 42030?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

Hi, considered that you wanna buy the 42030, i would take the 8110 too. But it depends if you want sets for parts or for the model itself... if you can buy them by second hand, with 250euro you can ;)

Both 8043 and 8110 sets are really good, and I think selecting which one to buy really depends on what you plan to do with the sets. If you are into displaying the sets, then both sets have a nice wow-factor. If you are looking at playability, then I think the remote controlled 8043 is better. If you want a set that offers a good parts assortment, then it really depends on what you want to build. 8110 would be more useful if you want suspension parts for 4x4 Crawlers, or other off road vehicles. 8043 would be more useful if you plan on building construction equipment. 8110 has pneumatics, 8043 has linear actuators. 8110 has more parts, but 8043 has more PF elements. They are very different sets, and It's hard to say which one is better. They are both great. It really depends on what you want to do with the set.

Kroes, since you specifically asked which of the two sets is the most interesting in terms of the solutions adopted and mechanisms, I would say 8043. The gearbox is marvelous, as well as the drivetrain going down to the tracks and boom LAs. Because 8110 uses pneumatics, it mechanisms aren't as complicated as 8043.

8110, 8043, and 42030 are all pretty different and compliment each other well.

Hi Guys!

Today i have question for you, which set do you can propose, for max. 40$

Regards, Andrzej!

42022 Hot rod: New tires, new colour scheme and a little masterpiece of technique ;)

Uwe Wabra rules! :wink:

First of all thanks for the replies. :sweet: Regarding the playability is not a problem, because as I said I will buy the 42030 which I think is very playable. I think the best choice is to buy now the Unimog+42030. In this way I will have a set with Pneumatic and cool features and also a set with RC and linear actuator. The only thing that stops me is that I think I miss some interesting mechanisms present in 8043. I think the 42030 has not sophisticated mechanisms such as the 8043, confirmed or is it just me?

Damn it is very difficult to choose! :wacko:

Edited by Kroes

I think the 42030 has not sophisticated mechanisms such as the 8043, confirmed or is it just me?

That is correct. :classic:

42009 is also an excellent set, especially from a parts-pack perspective.

Both 8110 and 8043 are way better than forthcoming 42030.... So my decision would be clear ;-)

Apart from the really crappy steering the 8110 is a quite perfect set... Same for the 8043 because the latter One also needs some small and cheap mods to work perfectly...

42030 instead seems to become quite boring and seems to have an crappy steering too...

8110 is number one by a million miles, as for the others I wouldn't be so sure to get 42030. 8043 is probably a better alternative.

I second allans opinion. I love the 8110. I bought the 8043 only for parts, the same I'll do with the 42030.