There seems to be a flood of "What should I buy" type topics lately. The problem with these topics is that if everyone made one over ever purchase the forum would become unreadable. Thus to solve this problem this topic has been created to be the new home for all such questions. Do note though that there there's a topic about this already but since a lot of you Technic guys seem to not want to hang out with the System guys I'll make a similar topic here, but please do realise that EB is one site, not a collection of many small ones. I'm making an exception here, not a rule... :wink:

Ask away!

Hey there, this is my first post on this forum (please excuse my english but i'm from Romania and my skills aren't so great - only member from this country i think ).

Last year i bought Technic set 8053, which was the first big Lego Technic sets, so this year i plan on buying another one. I have 2 sets that raised my interest 8265 and 8069. In your opinion, which should i buy ? I looked over some reviews and 8265 looks much complex / bigger / better but 8069 looks ok too.

So, what should i buy ? :D

Those two are not in same price class, but I definetly think that 8265 is worth paying more. It's really nice, large and complex set, whilst 8069 is just (at least for me), bad copy of 8455.

8265 all the way!

8069 is probably the best set in its price class. The good thing about it imo is that it's not in any way a copy of 8455. The designer has approaches the task of building a backhoe in a completely different way, and does that just perfectly.

The build and looks of 8265 are just magnificent, its weakness is the hard steering and the endless cranking if you don't motorize it.

Personally, i'de get 8439

8439-00.jpg

It has all the same functionality of 8265 but IMO does what it does in a much better way and the whole design just seems much more thought out. The steering is not heavy or flimsy like it is in 8265, and the steering wheel works too. It has 4WD and a V6 engine, like the 8265, and there is no need to endlessly turn a crank until your fingers wear down! Motorisation of the 8265 is an added cost not needed of the 8439 and the end result is a loader that can't lift as much as 8439. 8265 does have a nice amount of complexity tho, but this is one of the very rare cases where it seems to be complex only for the sake of complexity, but that's just my opinion :classic:

Edited by allanp

First of all, i can't find 8439 anywhere, so that's a big thumbs down for this set (i would have enjoyed a pneumatic set, kinda tired of turning a knob on my 8053). I think i'm going to buy the 8265, because i see that is not in production anymore, so i can buy 8069 next year.

Thx for the advice :)

8439-00.jpg

It has all the same functionality of 8265 but IMO does what it does in a much better way and the whole design just seems much more thought out. The steering is not heavy or flimsy like it is in 8265, and the steering wheel works too. It has 4WD and a V6 engine, like the 8265, and there is no need to endlessly turn a crank until your fingers wear down! Motorisation of the 8265 is an added cost not needed of the 8439 and the end result is a loader that can't lift as much as 8439. 8265 does have a nice amount of complexity tho, but this is one of the very rare cases where it seems to be complex only for the sake of complexity, but that's just my opinion :classic:

I totally agree, :) 8439/8459 is really nice I ordered 8459 for the box :)

Just finished building 8265 set, and i can say it was a tricky set to do. Lots of gears, tiny pieces, my fingers are sore because some parts fit very hard, but overall a very nice build (harder then 8053 set). This set is enormous, if you'd like i can take a picture of it beside 8053 to see the difference.

I have 2 complains about this set:

1. Steering is kinda hard, i think they could have done a better job.

2. No cardboard under the manuals (but i think that's because it was released in 2009).

PS: I love this set because it does not have many stickers (only 4).

Overall this is a great and complex set.

If we do not consider the size, it is really hard to tell which is better.

Both are very well designed, with nice features and very interesting parts.

Well, if I were in your shoes, I would buy 8265. Not because it is more impressive or more interesting, but because it probably will be discontinued very soon.

it has pneumatics ! :grin:

I have to say when I first got 8265 I loved it but I soon got bored of it,it's functions are not playable even with pf pack, it's just a display model now :) I'm still waiting on my new 8459 pneumatic front loader which I'm sure is a more realistic more playable set,also u really can't compare 8069 to 8265 as there differant classes and scales, dam I really do love my 8455 tho :)

Pneumatics beats the crap outta LA's :)

Now now, lets be civil here and not start another VS style debate, we must offer balanced opinion hear and stay on topic, I mean, i'm sure LAs can be good for something, like.....um.....powerful, no wait that's not right, ok....um.....fast, no wait that's not right either, ok.....um......realistic, oh I give up! :grin:

I have to say when I first got 8265 I loved it but I soon got bored of it,it's functions are not playable even with pf pack, it's just a display model now :) I'm still waiting on my new 8459 pneumatic front loader which I'm sure is a more realistic more playable set,also u really can't compare 8069 to 8265 as there differant classes and scales, dam I really do love my 8455 tho :)

Your gonna love it! I might set aside a couple hours to build mine later. One other thing is that there are instructions to replace the v6 with a 9v geared motor, giving you motorised 4WD. Can't think of another set that has that off the top of my head.

Edited by allanp

Now now, lets be civil here and not start another VS style debate, we must offer balanced opinion hear and stay on topic, I mean, i'm sure LAs can be good for something, like.....um.....powerful, no wait that's not right, ok....um.....fast, no wait that's not right either, ok.....um......realistic, oh I give up! :grin:

Your gonna love it! I might set aside a couple hours to build mine later. One other thing is that there are instructions to replace the v6 with a 9v geared motor, giving you motorised 4WD. Can't think of another set that has that off the top of my head.

How do u mean motorised? Have u 8439or 8459 ? Take a picture if u build it :)

How do u mean motorised? Have u 8439or 8459 ? Take a picture if u build it :)

Motorised as in the wheels are motorised so that it moves. I have the original one from 1997 (the one with the cool box!).

Motorised as in the wheels are motorised so that it moves. I have the original one from 1997 (the one with the cool box!).

Cool I'm looking forward to getting it now,it's going to be just hard to open a misb box :( I love the older boxes but there is shelf ware on the one I'm getting I think.

I quite enjoyed the build of 8265. Had the crane truck not been around, then the 8265 would have passed as a flagship, albeit cheaper. before the model was finished, II was already ripping it apart to rework it with full RC with instructions that were floating about the internet. Full RC really did make the model interesting and less tedious. Very worthwhile as a good source of parts. 3 LAs, bucket, wheels, new diffs, etc.

Cool I'm looking forward to getting it now,it's going to be just hard to open a misb box

I've never had that problem :grin:

I got the loader and i did motorize it,you could fit a ram to the steering to add more pneumaticability, (new word i made up?....... :laugh:) or you could just fit a motor.

I got the loader and i did motorize it,you could fit a ram to the steering to add more pneumaticability, (new word i made up?....... :laugh:) or you could just fit a motor.

Pneumatic steering sounds good :)

8265 fo sho! :sweet:

I think it's an awesome set! The looks are unprecedented!

I quite enjoyed the build of 8265. Had the crane truck not been around, then the 8265 would have passed as a flagship, albeit cheaper. before the model was finished, II was already ripping it apart to rework it with full RC with instructions that were floating about the internet. Full RC really did make the model interesting and less tedious. Very worthwhile as a good source of parts. 3 LAs, bucket, wheels, new diffs, etc.

True!

I've never had that problem :grin:

Just received my new 8459 everything sealed,box about 85% good some shelf ware,now do I build it or keep it :)

Just received my new 8459 everything sealed,box about 85% good some shelf ware,now do I build it or keep it :)

Well that one is entirely up to you. I know what I would do, but if you are not too keen to open a new one, then why not get a used complete one?

Well that one is entirely up to you. I know what I would do, but if you are not too keen to open a new one, then why not get a used complete one?

Ah I want to build it , like I said before don't like second hand sets, I'll just keep the box in storage :) iv just ordered a misb 8421 and an misb 8436 :) today.