Sign in to follow this  
mostlytechnic

Random quick car question for the Europeans amongst us...

How many miles (or km, I may be American but I work in the science field so I do know how to convert) do typical Europeans drive in a year?

I'm asking cause I'm employed in the tire industry, and was reading about how different tires are designed for American vs Euro markets. My particular business is heavy truck tires, so I'm not as knowledgeable about differences in consumer use.

I think Europeans mix more rubber in their asphalt. Americans mix more stone/gravel.

European weather is also milder, so roads last longer.

:shrug:

Edited by Dilvish

For the Dutch, I'd say 20.000km. That is regular, daily commute to work and 2 vacations.

People who drive for their work (like salespeople) drive some more.

We love our ZOAB roads :grin:

But, The Netherlands is a small country, and everything is located on a short distance.

Or try Wolfram Alpha:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28distance+travelled+by+car+europe%29+divided+by+%28number+of+cars+europe%29

Distance travelled per car in use:

- European average = 10,100 km

- USA = 19,800 km

- Australia = 15,700 km

- Denmark = 18,000 km

- UK = 14,430 km

- Germany = 12,590 km

- France = 13,720 km

- China = insufficient data

- India = 27,400 km

- Japan = 9,350 km

Thanks - that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Basically, in a tire design discussion, it was stated that US tires are typically marketed as long life - 40,000 miles or more. The rep from a big tire company said their Euro section designed very differently - the goal was wet traction and people were ok with tire life of 20000 miles. Here in the US, that tire would never sell. So I was curious how much was explanable by the tire life in years being similar or not - if Wolfram there is accurate, then tires in either continent are looking at 3-4 year life. So if the tires cost the same, then $/year is similar between the two and Europe gets better traction at the same price by virtue of driving less distance.

I've had my car for 3 years and 2 months since I got my license. I've drove about 21.000 km since then. An average of about 6.000 km a year, I think.

I don't remember, but I think I've had to replace my tires every 2nd years. Maybe every 3rd, depending.

interesting to see the americans are not adapting to the downward trend seen in the other countries on that graph

It said "America" had, but surely you can't expect it to be that noticeable with a country of it's size, population, and huge variations of roads and driving conditions. Like many northern states in mountainous areas, you have to drive additional miles (or km's) around or along mountain roads, even if the destination is a mile away in a straight direction. Case and point, there's a road about a half mile straight behind my house. Following the roads it takes about 7 minutes of driving to get a car over there. I would only get a year or so out of my tires if they were only rated for 20,000 mi. :classic:

...and for those of us living in ultra-rural parts and driving on dirt tracks and riverbeds a tire rated for 40,000 miles lasts about 15,000.

It's like a tax we poor country folk have to pay for living in the sticks...

I used to drive some 60-70.000 km a year for my job, these days it's about 25.000 km in my company car and some 5.000 in our own car. On one of my company cars I had my tires last for 100.000 km, but that was kind of a record. Usualy they get changed at about 50.000 km. It's harder to keep track now, though, because these days I drive on wintertires in the winter.

Edited by jfbat

Apologies for bumping a thread

...and for those of us living in ultra-rural parts and driving on dirt tracks and riverbeds a tire rated for 40,000 miles lasts about 15,000.

It's like a tax we poor country folk have to pay for living in the sticks...

And just over a week later on from that statement I get...

11123799364_b2ec7b0ed3_c.jpg

15,000 miles worth of driving....