Sign in to follow this  
danth

80s-something Space Guy poster with Space Ship

I don't think that canopy exists in yellow.

A rumor of someone claiming to have seen a modern style canopy in classic space yellow is part of what has been fueling speculation that this will be a set somewhere.

i love the blue dude :sweet: but it'll never be in an official set like this, obviously... i mean, the broken helmet, the bitemarks, fading space logo... in any case, it's great to see the classic space dudes back in full force in a film! :laugh:

i love the blue dude :sweet: but it'll never be in an official set like this, obviously... i mean, the broken helmet, the bitemarks, fading space logo... in any case, it's great to see the classic space dudes back in full force in a film! :laugh:

Actually, there's mounting evidence that the fading logo and broken helmet, at least, WILL show up in a set. My brother observed on Benny's character page from the LEGO Movie website, Benny appears in a CGI form that is slightly different than his proper movie appearance. Specifically, the "fading" of the print is simulated with dots, as if it were actually designed to be printed as-is on a LEGO piece (after all, LEGO torsos generally use a limited color palette). Also, his "cracked helmet" actually appears to be joined in the center as if it is a new mold with a crack incorporated as part of the original design, rather than a result of later damage.

Note also that all the other characters who have their own character pages on the site appear in at least one set — the only possible exception is Batman, who has appeared in LEGO Super Heroes sets but not in any sets with the LEGO Movie branding.

I was the one who found some Transparent Yellow modern canopy pieces among other new 2014 parts in the LEGO Group's parts database (which I trawl through occasionally on the off chance I might learn something new). However, it was unclear at the time what theme they might belong to. None of the ones I found are the same as the one in Benny's poster, but they might still be intended for a LEGO Movie set, since they have failed to show up in any other 2014 themes.

Also, on the character page, they appear as they do in sets, not as in movie- cross ref Vitruvius staff- lollipop in movie stills, brick built in character profile.

If they make the space man and this ship, I will buy it, although making him "broken" and faded might be a dealbreaker. Like many people, this set could help me relive the good times in the 1980's. My Galaxy Explorer, All Terrian Vehicle, and Alpha I Rocket Base are long gone in a garage sale, but the memory lives on.

Fantastic! Just getting back into space, and finally completed my little Jelly Bean troop by getting the quite surprising yellow astronaut. Great to see this possible revamp, even if the set were expensive I'd buy a few. As for the simulated damage, why not have him as a battle damaged astronaut, making his way back to the Inter-Galactic Command Base after falling down a pit or getting caught in a rock slide?

It seems there will be at least one classic style spaceship and it's going to be a whopper:

11599705254_fa55713074_z.jpg

Discussion over here: Special Themes

Boy do I want this one… those classic style "engines"!

There are those windscreens I found in TLG's database earlier this year! Also the spacesuit for Unikitty is an adorable touch. I wonder if this set will be for a mid-year release. That'd explain why we hadn't seen it until now.

That's an awesome design. There are some 'modern' touches to the details, but the overall structure and shape really does appeal to 'old-school' fans. The best of both really.

If it's a conscious decision to pay homage to the classic Space designs while utilising up-to-date pieces, I'd call it a roaring success. I kinda want one!

It's an instant must-buy. If those Classic Space logos are printed on and not stickers, I'm going to buy at least 3 of them.

And I still want the space ship from the poster. It's a great little design as well.

It's an instant must-buy. If those Classic Space logos are printed on and not stickers, I'm going to buy at least 3 of them.

And I still want the space ship from the poster. It's a great little design as well.

From the photographic shots, they look to be printed. It would make sense for them to be, since the Classic Space logo is versatile and time-tested, and the same part is used at least three times in this set with the same decoration.

From the photographic shots, they look to be printed. It would make sense for them to be, since the Classic Space logo is versatile and time-tested, and the same part is used at least three times in this set with the same decoration.

I like hearing those words. Also according to Lego Historian's post in that sticker thread you responded to, sloped pieces with textured surfaces tend to be printed. Fingers crossed!

Edited by danth

Oh my goodness! If this set IS, in fact, going to be released this summer, I am definitely getting one, price be damned! I wish I'd have kept some of the classic space sets I had as a kid, and this would definitely make up for that bit of regret.

This goes double if it has Wyldstyle in it.

Sadly, the LL929 looks like a sticker to me. But, the classic space logo on the blue slopes does look printed.

Sadly, the LL929 looks like a sticker to me. But, the classic space logo on the blue slopes does look printed.

Printed Classic Space logos will make me happy enough that I won't care about the other designs being stickers.

Printed Classic Space logos will make me happy enough that I won't care about the other designs being stickers.

I second this thought. Classic Space/Futuron (which I considered to be the "last hurrah" of the classic space line anyways) was one of my favorite space themes of all time (along with the original Blacktron and Space Police I), and would LOVE to have some new parts with the Classic Space logo on them.

Makes sense about the registration number being stickered. The LL919 plate would only be able to be used in this set, it's too restricted to its use unlike the classic space slopes. Hence, it's cost ineffective too print a part that has no use outside of the desired set. I've got to say, I've never been so excited over a set, ever.

Its predecessor, Galaxy Explorer had no stickers. The LL928 piece was printed. It is possible to have parts printed and meant for only one set. Most recently, the Chez Albert sign in Parisian Restaurant comes to mind. With that said, yes, there is the distinct possibility that the Benny ship will have stickers. As long as the slope pieces are printed, it will probably work out OK.

Its predecessor, Galaxy Explorer had no stickers. The LL928 piece was printed. It is possible to have parts printed and meant for only one set. Most recently, the Chez Albert sign in Parisian Restaurant comes to mind. With that said, yes, there is the distinct possibility that the Benny ship will have stickers. As long as the slope pieces are printed, it will probably work out OK.

Good point, however the 928 came out in 1979, and the PR is a Modular. Lego tend to go the extra mile when you exceed £150 ish. As you say as long as the textured slopes are printed, I'm fine. I've got loads of sets that have the same sort of textured slope and the stickers practically slide of them. On a side note, how many people do you think you could cram into the cockpit? I haven't got that specific design, though I'm guessing if they squeeze up three, it all depends on if there's an interior.