The Architect

Whats the rarest/oldest piece of Lego you have in your collections?

Of all the old LEGO parts, among the rarest of all are the red 820 garage baseplates (1955-70). These were produced mainly in white (1955-70) and Gray (1966-70), and are common enough in those colors.

However, a few of these were produced red and released in the 1235 Garage parts pack and 1236 Garage set, only sold in Denmark, Norway, Sweden from 1955-57.

These red ones are so very rare, that I am only aware of 3 collectors (in Europe) that have them. These came without LEGO on the studs (it was printed on the underside). One of the 3 I know of isn't even a 1950s version... it's a 1960s red mold test strike, with "LEGO" on the studs... making this one even rarer.... :wink:

4992117433_172950182f_b_d.jpg

4992726110_d71d68ccd1_b_d.jpg

(From my Collectors Guide - Chapter 17 - LEGO Sets/Parts Prototypes.)

Edited by LEGO Historian

I put a bid in on these today, but then the bidding rapidly went beyond my price range. They sold for 56 GBP (about $91.00 USD).

$_12.JPG

I put a bid in on these today, but then the bidding rapidly went beyond my price range. They sold for 56 GBP (about $91.00 USD).

Not really surprised! Early classic LEGO has been sizzling hot as of late... I've seen a group of 1950s LEGO from Norway sell for over $4000, and a single 1957 retailer price list the $1000 mark for a 4 page piece of literature! :look:

Modern LEGO has been going thru the roof for especially desireable sets, and much of it was produced in large quantities. But the classic LEGO exists (that that survives) in much more limited quantities.

As people become more aware of the old LEGO items (I'll take my bow now... :blush: ) the limited amount of old LEGO means that more people are bidding on a limited number of items.

As for those parts... the half circle macaroni bricks are likely the most desirable....

As for those parts... the half circle macaroni bricks are likely the most desirable....

Those were the ones I was most intrigued by. The same seller has several early LEGO items and is located in Copenhagen. Has some more early slotted bricks (and macaroni bricks) in white. Also has some early wooden toys.

I don't really collect systematically, but I could see myself getting in over my head quickly. Maybe best to just appreciate the occasional odd or rare part that I find in mixed lots.

A newly discovered Opel Kapitän 1:87 scale (HO) LEGO car from 1957. That brings the number of known prototype Opel's to 8. These all appear to have been made in Norway by A/S Norske LEGIO as a 1:87 prototype, since this vehicle was never put into actual production. These rare beauties are worth about $5000 each! :look:

12421762455_b1effe3f40_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Id say that my, Animal Horse Hitching with Hinge (4587) is one of my rare peaces, because i cant seam to find any product information about it. the one i have is black and came in the carvery covered wagon set (6716)

Hey everyone, first post.

I have an old set, and a question on a rare piece.

Here's my 205 set:

pFXoAdn.jpg

and possibly my rare piece, if someone can help me figure out what it is:

1TTbjtE.jpg

anyone know? I've done quite a bit of digging and can't find any info on it.

Welcome to Eurobricks Desmondjg!! Your USA/Canada only Samsonite LEGO 205 Basic Set was produced from fall 1965 until 1971 in the USA, and until 1974 in Canada.

This was just one of the basic sets that Samsonite produced that had the set number equal the parts count. These sets included 125, 205, 285, 375, 450 and 615. There were other sets in this group that had a part count and a "name" that went along with them.... such as the 223 Adventurer Set, the 326 Suburban Set and 536 Designer Set. These "named and numbered" sets were exclusive mail order sets of FAO Schwarz and Sears of that era.

You will also notice a few odd things about your 205 set... such as some parts (in red and yellow) may look odd, since there will likely be some (older) Cellulose Acetate plastic parts mixed in with the newer ABS plastic parts. Also you will notice that the LEGO logo on the brick studs may vary... you could have 3 different font types on the bricks... and in some instances 2 different ones on the same parts! I know, because I wrote a collectors guide about 20th century LEGO! :wink:

2407_2_std.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

I have an old 2x4 white brick that's very battered and it says 'pat. pend.' on the bottom!

However, it doesn't have the slits on the sides, it has tubes on the bottom like modern bricks. It has the very old lego logo and ~0.5 mm raised edges on the studs.

Id say that my, Animal Horse Hitching with Hinge (4587) is one of my rare peaces, because i cant seam to find any product information about it. the one i have is black and came in the carvery covered wagon set (6716)

What are you talking about? 994 sellers has it for sale on Bricklink right now, 218 of these has it in black! And what do you mean by product information? Isn´t this good enough?

Here's something that you won't find anywhere... so rare that it was never released... :look:

Good thing too, since the parts don't match the packaging! :sweet: Something new in my collectors guide!

img_1942.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

I have this bracelet set, which i would consider rare.

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?S=309-1

Also the minifig found on the right of this picture, except mine is neither glued or have the keyring attached.

dismantling_keyring_1_front.jpg

Then offcourse all these sets which are mostly vintage LEGO:

tfol%20(47).JPG

You can have a closer look at them in this post:

http://www.eurobrick...tfol lego&st=0

A lot of those old trans bricks mentioned on last page.

I probably have a whole lot of other rare stuff that im not aware of. :P

Here's something that you won't find anywhere... so rare that it was never released... :look:

Good thing too, since the parts don't match the packaging! :sweet: Something new in my collectors guide!

Haha .... Nice find.

Does make sense it wasnt released. :)

Edited by LEGO Family

I inherited the instructions and bricks for several Wheetabix promotional sets: House 1, House 2, Windmill. It took a whille to figure out what these sets were, they don't really have any set number.

This is what House 2 looks like when I first took a picture using my budget DIY lightbox.

hmGlVLXl.jpg?1

Severall pieces were missing so I substituted some parts from my existing collection.

The Lego Wheetabix Triad:

6635600189_9c941bac2b_z.jpg

Edited by Ambo100

Ambo100 nice inheritance!!

Those 1976 Weetabix (UK chocolate-like cereal) sets never did have a number... neither did the 1970 castle set.

And ironically the 3 Weetabix village sets were only sold as a group...

00-7.jpg

Also... each of these 3 buildings came in a simple box with an image of the building on the front. And these 3 boxes were found inside a larger plain brown shipping box, but they were held in place within, via inserts.

Edited by LEGO Historian

Ambo100 those are so lovely :wub:.

Do you know ( otherwise i bet LEGO Historian) know if those were "only" sold in UK, if thats even where they originate from ?

Well that unreleased 6690 set I just showed... apparently it was released... in 1984.... but under the 6628 number...

Now i feel even dumber or just thinking that the flow of time is catching up on me.

When you showed that set in your previous post i thought, Hmmm i got that as a youngster. But it definately didnt have a firebrigade in it.

Then havin read your post i offcourse understood that i didnt get it since it was a ( one of the few im a aware of ) flaw from TLG.

Now you are saying it was released after all, im thinking that ... Hmmmm , so i did have it afterall as a TFOL ! ?

My mind is not sure about it. But i do have loads of the old construction workers in my collection, so maybe i might have gotten it.

Thanks for messing with my memories LEGO historian ... Hahaha ... :wink:

I do love it ... Its a lovely trip down memory lane reading up on this post over and over .. :classic:

Ambo100 those are so lovely :wub:.

Do you know ( otherwise i bet LEGO Historian) know if those were "only" sold in UK, if thats even where they originate from ?

The Bricklink notes say that the sets were only released in the UK.

@Desmondjg You asked what your rare piece is. I have or had it myself. It is a tow bar for connecting a trailer to a car. You stick it on the underside of the rear end of a car you've built, then stick the other end on the underside of the front of the trailer you've built.

I don't remember if it was part of a set.

My oldest Lego piece is this wood lorry from around 1955: http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/212545952/camionette-lego-en-bois-ref-801.html and it is for sale. There are plenty of photos on the link. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach a photo here.