The Architect

Whats the rarest/oldest piece of Lego you have in your collections?

What is that and where did it come from?

From the early 60s to the early 90s there was a LEGO factory in Wrexkham, Wales. They got their plastic from the Borg/Warner plastics company in Grangemouth, Scotland. Borg/Warner had their own LEGO mold that could make 4 2x4 bricks at a time - they used it to test their plastics. In the late 70s a couple of employees decided to play around with excess plastic pellets and they experimented by making marbled bricks. As the story goes, when TLG found out they weren't too happy at all, and they took the mold away.

Earlier this year someone on BrickLink sold a big stash of these bricks that he had been given as a child. They went fast, and they are now quite hard to come by. A few other "flavors" are known, and are being hoarded by other collectors. They're unique gems among people like me who collect 2x4 bricks!

More info and pics:

Grangemouth

LEGO: Wrexham Marble red/white

Jammy bricks  (2)

Edited by mpfirnhaber

Dear LEGO Friends,

I am not sure if you know more details about the «mysterious» LEGO Mursten 1309 "Kirke med «lys-sten»", the 1309/309 Church set, but I may have some news.

I will reproduce below the description I created in my Excel file of collectibles:

«In September 1957 Lego presented in Norway, along the new item 245 Light Brick, the "Kirke med «lys-sten»" set 1309, with interior light.

Only one exemplar of this "Kirke med «lys-sten»" (*) set is known, although it is mentioned in the 1957 Norwegian pricelist, for 18,50 NOK.

This unique exemplar of the Lego 1309 "Kirke med «lys-sten»" was found by a Swedish collector, Mr. Daniel Johanssen, in the Danish toy museum "Nordsjællands Legetøjsmuseum". The model was «glued» for display, as usual in display LEGO models or prototypes.

It appears that this VERY early 1309 set was not only produced in Norway (by A/S Norske LEGIO, the Norwegian licensee for Lego), but also in Denmark.

It is believed that Lego discontinued this version "Kirke med «lys-sten»", both in Denmark and in Norway, soon after its presentation, for still unknown reasons.

From the only known picture of this set in a 1957 Norwegian Lego black & white leaflet, in Norway the windows and front doors were RED, and not WHITE like the Danish display model recently found in the "Nordsjællands Legetøjsmuseum".

The curator of the Museum, Mrs. Hilda Svanes, bought this incredibly rare Lego model in 1997, without knowing the extreme rarity and/or value of this Lego Church display model, in good/average complete «glued» condition (Lego display models have always been glued).

Unfortunatly, the original box has been lost many years ago, and no surviving exemplars of the "Kirke med «lys-sten»" box seems to exist.

On the 12th June 2014, this unique exemplar of the Lego"Kirke med «lys-sten»", ref. 1309, was sold at Bruun Rasmussen Auctioneers, in København, Denmark, for 1,500,000 DKK (about 201,132 €, at 2014 exchange rate) !!!»

Final note:

I have a particular interest in the LEGO Church, because...

...it was my very first LEGO toy in 1960, when I was 4 years old.

Please accept the most warm and friendly regards from your Portuguese friend!

Armando Fernandes

Post script:

I forgot to include the following note to mu text above:

(*) Translation to English of Norsk language "Kirke med «lys-sten»":

- "Church with «light brick»".

A mis-molded Darth Vader head where a corner of the head is flattened instead of the perfect circle on a normal head.

Oh and an Orange Kanohi Vahi, which I figure isn't THAT rare compared to some stuff on this thread.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Probably the wheel centers and the wheels color pearl gold on this UCS bat mobile I got for my birthday a few years back when it was in production, I think this is the only set they came in, but I could be wrong, a strange first post I know but im a bit of a lurker sitting in the shadows waiting for the right time to post..........hello all

7784-1.jpg

Edited by Dean_1987

The oldest/rarest pieces I have are some old Samsonite Lego pieces from the late 1960s and early 1970s. These sets are well before my time, but my wife's grandmother (well, her stepmother's mother) saved them and, knowing of my love of Lego, shipped them to me from halfway across the continent (you can find some pictures of them in this topic: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72698).

Sadly, I missed out on even more Samsonite. I live in Colorado, and my wife's family has lived in Denver (where Samsonite was founded) and its metro area for over 60 years. As such, the kids growing up at that time had early access to Lego, and my wife's uncle was said to have had an old Samsonite town plan set that he might give to me if he ever found it. Alas, I think it might have been sold--the patriarch of the family died within the past few years, and my mother-in-law has not found anything Lego-related as they've cleaned out the house.

Your avatar adds a lot to your post haha :)

The glitter bricks, the gray and yellow transparent bricks, and the woodgrain brick are all prototypes made by German plastic companies Bayer and BASF. In the 60s and 70s LEGO gave them molds to try new plastics and new colors, and these are a few of the more unusual bricks they came up with.

The two marbled bricks are from Scotland. See the story here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110823entry2426990

@Desmondjg You asked what your rare piece is. I have or had it myself. It is a tow bar for connecting a trailer to a car. You stick it on the underside of the rear end of a car you've built, then stick the other end on the underside of the front of the trailer you've built....

Heres one of those flexi links in use:

23807331280_d2f958efc1_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5699) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Appoligies for tuning up late to the party, but saw the above post and thought I had something relevant :-)

Lawrence

Just to add, I think these are possibly the oldest (rather than rarest) elements in my collection:

23476223753_7851e07d7c_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (241A5724) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

We have 4 of the 8x4 round corner plates, but all of the same hand.

We (my sister and I) also had the family set 200 from 1974 ? - although we appear to be missing a bit (sons head & shoulders and a bit of Mothers arm) :-(

24850010935_94a5309269_c.jpg[

url=https://flic.kr/p/DRUNup]www.loz.pics (Lego People)[/url] by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

Lawrence

Having collected my old Lego from my parents over Christmas, I finally have it cleaned and am going throught it.

This caught my attention:

24486289839_527b7a7130_c.jpg

www.loz.pics (www.loz.pics (241A7176)) by Lawrence Fowler, on Flickr

I have no box or instructions, but I did spot the two white 1x1 windows and the "Y" & "3" 1x1 printed studs - I therefore assume we had the 1963 Lego System Set 315 (European Taxie) - curiously, I (being the oldest) was not born until late 1964, so I guess my Father was an AFOL back in the 60's ;-)

Lawrence

25125192452_abb98a4b82_b.jpg

The brick on the left is the top shell of an old wheel holder, but it's red (this part was never produced in red), and the holes have not been drilled for the axles. Presumably a prototype.

The brick on the right is a complete wheel holder, but it's a rare transparent version. These were provided to retailers when TLG released this part back in early 60s so they could show customers how the part works.

Some new bricks, most are quite rare :)

Those are so pretty! I always loved translucent bricks but translucent and glitter!

The rest of those look super interesting too. But they do look a bit like some mega blocks

I know the Frozen castle set had some glitter trans rock walls in it....

This is more of a puzzle. Anyone know what this piece is. I just saw this on a facebook group. They stated that is has the Lego Log on it, but I cannot find the piece anywhere.

25128169874_f92047f40f_b.jpg

25734637476_96ea6b88cb_b.jpg

I'm pretty sure lego uses those types of pieces for the trade show displays.

I wonder how they would attach to the model though, seems like it would be a little loose without a healthy amount of glue.

I have a Taxi sign on a 1x2 tile from 1979.

According to BL it was only part of one set (608).

I therefore assume we had the 1963 Lego System Set 315 (European Taxie) - curiously, I (being the oldest) was not born until late 1964, so I guess my Father was an AFOL back in the 60's ;-)

Not necessarily as sets had a much longer shelve life back then.

I have a Taxi sign on a 1x2 tile from 1979.

According to BL it was only part of one set (608).

Judging by my own collection, there should have been two in the set.

These are rare to me atleast

M-Tron printed pieces, the big Blacktron printed transgreen windsheld.

The red pull back motor from 1990, set number 818-1

d4e4o5g414p4n5x5m444t2u2a4x2q2w214i4w5d41433v234t20314x2.jpg

The printed pieces and pizzas from Pizza To Go 6350

Oldest would be my mom's Legos from when she was a kid, a mixed bin from the 60s or so. Rarest though are a pair of 1x1 corner panels in Old Dark Grey - this was not a production color for that part and it was not in any set. I bought them in two separate BL buys for my WW2 models.