Now that I perfected My latest chassis, I want a new challenge. I know my limits of weight/strength/power now and I want to build something different. Also I am going to make another Bricklink order with some random parts I currently lack, so I want to make a list of things I may need.

Here's what I am thinking of at the moment:

• Drift car-either AWD or RWD using fast output of buggy motors. As for wheels:44777.jpg?0
  • A car similar to Chassis V1 for outrageous top speed-suspension would be the main issue.
  • A remake of a crawler using either XL motors or NXT motors with Doc_Brown's Reaper axles.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I would hope to build it before the end of this year, as I then plan to build a small, possibly non-pf vehicle using the new snowmobile suspension pieces.

Use the wheels you've shown with 2 of these motors: http://store.rc4wd.com/540-Crawler-Brushed-Motor-35T_p_821.html

Performance Specs:

• (At no load) RPM @ 7.2V : 12500 *oh2* (?10%), 1.25Amp Current
  • (Max Efficiency) RPM @ 7.2V : 10400 (?10%), 4.62Amp Current
  • Designed oprating temperature range: -30?C to +80?C
  • Motor end play : .50mm max
  • Noise level: < 60db

With some LiPo batteries, and if you're willing to shell out the money for official lego ones, the voltage at max efficiency happens to be exactly the same. It's only 1 stud longer than an XL and I think it will fit in the casing if you slightly modify it. Or are you going for something purist?

Has anyone (really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like) tried using proper RC car parts with a lego chassis? There is a lot of good parts from hobbyking or similar stores that can be suitable. However, i think the whole drive train should be rc in order to handle the power, and then i don't know if it is really lego anymore..

Make one with AWD or RWD, ideally with some sort of mechanism to switch between. It has been done.

Also, as far as reaching top speed, I would recomend you look into aftermarket wheels, for maximum grip.

And, please, make it usable: there are too many RCs which will never be driven, becuase they have so many expensive parts, bah blah blah. Put some L Motors, ideally on the back, and two M Motors up front (to save on space and weight while not being used). Then, use some 9:1 steering with an M up front. Keep it light. Make two of them, so they can race eachother. Put on a front AND rear bumper, for RC crashes, because they are very fun!!!!!!!!

Good luck, keep us posted on WIPs.

You should make a body for it,none of this half done stuff.....

I completely agree with you.This would be easiest with the drift car idea since there's no extra stress on the motors. As for non-lego motors, that's where I draw the line because although they offer crazy performance the rpm/torque would be too much for a plastic drivetrain, even if it's a drift car. I want to see how much one can achieve with buggy motors. Although in the future i would want to make my own metal chassis vehicle and use my current electronics. I think I'll experiment with some new rear independent suspension and if I come out with a breakthrough I'll make the big decision between speed demon and drift machine :laugh: Edited by z3_2drive

Then just don't put a drivetrain. If you can put that motor in a motor casing, just make swing arm suspension with the pivot on the ends of the motors. Who needs drivetrains, anyway? :laugh:

Ah if only lego made ultra strong but compact u-joints!

Yes second that!

Why don't you give tracked vehicles a go, been a while since there has been any. 4 RC motor tank would be too cool!

Now that I perfected My latest chassis, I want a new challenge. I know my limits of weight/strength/power now and I want to build something different. Also I am going to make another Bricklink order with some random parts I currently lack, so I want to make a list of things I may need.

Here's what I am thinking of at the moment:

• Drift car-either AWD or RWD using fast output of buggy motors.
  • A car similar to Chassis V1 for outrageous top speed-suspension would be the main issue.
  • A remake of a crawler using either XL motors or NXT motors with Doc_Brown's Reaper axles.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I would hope to build it before the end of this year, as I then plan to build a small, possibly non-pf vehicle using the new snowmobile suspension pieces.

WOW expensive rare tire!

Would be insane for drifting tho! :thumbup:

Edited by Jim
Removed image from quote

man make a blimp! I seen a video on youtube of someone using buggy motors to work a small helicopter, well it doesn't fly more sort falls slowly, I was thinking if he added some hellium balloons it may just fly. You could have the battery follow very a wire on wheels below. I would love to see that!

I have completed my V5 "speed" chassis and a few videos will be coming up. Before I do pictures I will give a few final thoughts.

1) There's no doubt I've reached the limit of high speed Lego vehicles

2) At said limit, you may run into many problems concerning practicality and safety

3) You may acquire a lust for squeezing out as much performance as possible

4) Such lust may lead to using methods you previously wouldn't consider and there will be casualties

5) Nicjasno's (LPEPower) custom wheel hubs are the best hubs you can buy, and special thanks for sending 4 even when I changed my mind to 2 when I heard the price :blush: :thumbup:

6) Even the best parts have weaknesses when pushed to the limit

7) Mistakes, no matter how severe, will be worth it in the end

I've hinted a lot of things to come, and I hope all of you will enjoy it, even purists :tongue:

Edited by z3_2drive

I have completed my V5 "speed" chassis and a few videos will be coming up. Before I do pictures I will give a few final thoughts.

1) There's no doubt I've reached the limit of high speed Lego vehicles

2) At said limit, you may run into many problems concerning practicality and safety

3) You may acquire a lust for squeezing out as much performance as possible

4) Such lust may lead to using methods you previously wouldn't consider and there will be casualties

5) Nicjasno's (LPEPower) custom wheel hubs are the best hubs you can buy, and special thanks for sending 4 even when I changed my mind to 2 when I heard the price :blush::thumbup:

6) Even the best parts have weaknesses when pushed to the limit

7) Mistakes, no matter how severe, will be worth it in the end

I've hinted a lot of things to come, and I hope all of you will enjoy it, even purists :tongue:

Link to or more info on Nicjasno's custom wheel hubs? Thanks!

Make one with AWD or RWD, ideally with some sort of mechanism to switch between. It has been done.

Also, as far as reaching top speed, I would recomend you look into aftermarket wheels, for maximum grip.

And, please, make it usable: there are too many RCs which will never be driven, becuase they have so many expensive parts, bah blah blah. Put some L Motors, ideally on the back, and two M Motors up front (to save on space and weight while not being used). Then, use some 9:1 steering with an M up front. Keep it light. Make two of them, so they can race eachother. Put on a front AND rear bumper, for RC crashes, because they are very fun!!!!!!!!

Good luck, keep us posted on WIPs.

Sounds good to me! Shocks on the bumper and fender, medium ones. 9:1 is always good- the Technic gods support you.

Does anybody know which wheels, aftermarket, would be best gripping? Have no experience in this area.

Spend some time on the body, though- that matters a lot.