10243 Parisian Restaurant Poll  

311 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Delectable (Superb)

Wish I could afford this beautiful set! Definitely my favorite of the modular buildings so far. Thanks for a great review!

I echo this sentiment. Fantastic set, and a great review!

Why is everyone so quick to assume there is no seagull in this set? You're all just assuming that roast bird is a turkey ... ;)

Excellent review, thanks.

Regarding the missing door knob, as mentioned by ronenson there is a spare one besides the spare :wink:. More important, I think this door is put in on purpose it does seem with some minor adjustments another apartment floor (module 2) can be added for people who want some taller buildings. Downside is some upstairs neighbor traffic on the second (American third) floor.

Example as posted on LowLUG (top post image is clickable for larger version)

It is a french balcony and they never have doorknobs on the outside.

Great review. For me this set does not disappoint! Those pieces used for lampshades and plant pots will be very useful in the future. Roll on the official release!

Why is everyone so quick to assume there is no seagull in this set? You're all just assuming that roast bird is a turkey ... ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Nice one.

But it would be a well fed seagull.

Thank you for the review.

There seems to be a lot of details, both the visible kind and details in the building process

Great review, even though there are some major elements of the design that I don't like. First of all, the bright while building elements. Having been to Paris and Prague and Amsterdam and a lot of European cities, I think something more muted than a very sterile bright white would have been appropriate. My opinion is good for lego, because now I will buy two of these and MOD one with darker, more earth tone colors.

A lot of small, non-structural elements that may, I emphasize 'may', have resulted in a smaller size, if not footprint, for the actual structure.

At this point, and my opinion could change once I build it and integrate it into my city, it's about my least favorite of the modular buildings.

Edited by Off the wall

Thank you very much for this outstanding review!

This is going to be another masterpiece. TLC (Jamie) included so many new parts and fantastic colours. :wub_drool:

Surely a must for me.

Sidenote and nit-picking: Your photos lack contrast, because they are too bright. Especially when it comes to the white parts.

And you included tons of photos. For me (and maybe that's just me) less, especially random instruction pics, the bags and various shots from the unfinished building, would be more in this case. :look:

Jamie finds the best ways to cheap out on us and not give us a very deep building. I guess that's what you have to do when you're a designer. Not being mean at all, he did extremely well.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Thank you for a Really a great review, "dj2005". Lots of wonderful pictures and comments. Though I wonder about one of your last comments that TLG has not released any dedicated restaurants until PR. Besides several pizzerias, I guess the hard working chef and waiter at the 6376/10037 Breezeway Café/"Ristorante" (http://brickset.com/detail/?set=6376-1) will be disappointed to read that ;)

But otherwise it's good the citizens of Lego City can choose something else than Italian food and burgers. I can only agree on the advise to buy at least one of the PR.

Good catch, laka. I didn't count that set because I figured it was just a basic café where largely drinks are served and some small side dishes. Now I see the chef has a burger on the frying pan! I'll add it as a side note in my review.

Wonderful review. I can't afford all of the modular buildings so the reviews help me choose - and your review has convinced me to choose this set over the theatre or town hall.

Can I offer one suggestion? Perhaps it's not the same for other readers, but while the photo lighting and quality are great, I don't find the face-on photos very appealing, they compress the depth and prevent appreciation of the space within the model. I understand that the angled views are very typical and you've done something different, but I feel the technique is more suited to street scenes or low-relief tableaux than interiors with lots of depth, although it's perfect for those top-down shots.

Thank you for the suggestion. For this review, I was using a new camera and tripod, and crafted something that somewhat resembles a photography studio ("somewhat resembles" is probably too kind) so it was a learning process. As it happens, I had better angled pictures for the face-on shots but I had to re-do them due to forgetting to include two LEGO pieces and, by then, I already changed the tripod settings.

At first, I thought that as well, but TLG initially stated that the set included a turkey AND a seagull. :classic:

Thank you very much for this outstanding review!

This is going to be another masterpiece. TLC (Jamie) included so many new parts and fantastic colours. :wub_drool:

Surely a must for me.

Sidenote and nit-picking: Your photos lack contrast, because they are too bright. Especially when it comes to the white parts.

And you included tons of photos. For me (and maybe that's just me) less, especially random instruction pics, the bags and various shots from the unfinished building, would be more in this case. :look:

Thanks Holodoc. As I mention earlier in this post, the review was a learning process for me in terms of using a new camera. It also largely depends on the viewer's monitor type. I use a calibrated IPS panel which tends to make things look much different than, say, the basic TN display on my old laptop. I also like to be thorough in my reviews as I figure people can easily skip the stuff they don't want to see, but I know some people want to see as much as they can. And those bag pictures were an absolute pain and still didn't come out well.

Thanks for the review; it was very informative! Your pictures are outstanding - they really show off the set as best as possible.

Thanks for a great review. I enjoyed the reading and inspecting picture from different angles. I'm really looking forward to the release date.

I'm really in love with this set, there are lots of minor clever ideas that look very great. I hope I can get this set. One small thing to mention, your pictures are a bit bright and the white peices are melting in with the background, other than that huge thanks for the effort of making this review!

Jamie Berard is the undisputed master of the modular building. No offense to the other modulars that aren't "his" but this one just looks like it's in a different league....again. Looking forward to it.

Outstanding awesome superb review, that left me coming back for more! :wub:

I totally in love with the amount of details that is very impressive. The modular series has definitely achieved another new level of greatness. Thank you dj2005 for bringing this set review to our EB community! I am extremely enjoying every bit of your wonderful coverage. :grin:

Amazing set. Not the largest in the modular series, but adds a lot of variety and 'fun.' Great use of colours, will definitely be picking this up.

Great review dj2005, amazing photography.

...It is hard not to have a look at your review... i really want to wait when i open the box and experience all details whilst building.. but is is hard to wait for at least 5 to 6 weeks or so....

I will definately buy this modular...also to keep my collection complete as i also have the other 8 ones.. It will be a great addition to the several heights and types of buildings in this series...!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Thanks for the review. I've already read 2 others, I think that says his much I like this set. Definitely going to be taking toward the top for me. I like the number of pictures you included, but I would agree about the contrast issue.

I like all of the details, but it will stand out a bit compared to the others. I realize this is where we not then ourselves, which I am doing, but it is nice having an official interior.

I like the white on the exterior, but I agree a different color could have worked well. I think the subtle amount of white used is what makes it okay. White is hard to work into modular building. I've rarely seen it work. Probably why everyone does tan.

I will say your review was the best of the three I've seen, if that means anything to you.

Thanks for the great review!

January 1st..., may you come soon :classic:

I'm wondering if the small kitchen window on the richt-handside of the restaurant will be covered if placed next to another modular building.

If possible, would you be so kind to show us a picture of a set-up with another modular?

Thanks!