kabel

Thorshaven - Evolution

Alright, so I've decided to keep my city layout together and simply add more modules to it: My kids threatened me to leave me if I ever took it apart. So what's a man to do? :laugh:

Anyway, I'm not going to open more threads anymore but simply add on to this thread and show how the thing evolves over time.

Link to Flickr Album

Current Status - 4 waterfront modules, 2 behind the wall modules, two water modules with two ships. One Kaliphlin embassy by DM:

16157455946_a08f5a5875_b.jpg

Modules:

Waterfront I - done:

9239807916_0c1b8cc472.jpg

Waterfront II - done:

9423696912_8a988a3c00.jpg

Waterfront III - done:

9545551685_07afeb835c.jpg

Waterfront IV - done:

12499743814_f912eb3d58.jpg

Behind the Wall II - done:

Behind the Wall III - done:

Behind the Wall III - WIP

Water III + "Arandela Negra" - done:

9545549087_4dd7978a2d.jpg

Water IV + "Rose of Asgard" - done:

12499397663_dc965cce42.jpg

Water V + New Ship - WIP

Third row III - WIP

future plans:

behind the wall I (big tower)

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'll add the missing pics later this weeks and keep you updated on whatever else I'm adding to this. As for the UoK program, I already have 2 university degrees, I don't really have to worry :laugh:

Edited by kabel

My kids threatened me to leave me if I ever took it apart

xDD

lovely layout man :wink:

It's very nice, since brickmania I've been thinking about doing some modular island city.

So, are you going to take care of the water side? I mean it looked a bit unfinished.

I really like this project! Looking forward to the updates here :classic:

A pity to "lock up" a lot of nice pieces, but at least it's for a good cause.

thanks guys, glad you like it!

@sebeus: yes, the water will expand, and DM will have to adjust the water around his modules as it ran perpendicular to mine. Getting all these blue bricks is a pain in the butt. Acutually, I will scrap my james cook project and build another caravell or carrack.

@gideon: my wife doens't want me to take this apart either, so she had to agree on me having to get new bricks :thumbup:

This means however, that I will only be able to enter categories A and B in the current challenge.

Edited by kabel

It sure looks nice :)..really nice..

Maybe join a LUG to get cheaper access to bricks every once a year?

Maybe we can join hands & expend on modules :).

hey sny,

I'M sure if you, sebeus and dm joined forces you could build some add ons to this. I think it'd be cool. As for joining a lug, I have actually researched that matter in recent days, but didn't really find anything suitable in Germany. Not sure why that is ... Anyway, as long as I got this place in town, I'm good to go with decently priced bricks!

As for joining a lug, I have actually researched that matter in recent days, but didn't really find anything suitable in Germany. Not sure why that is ... Anyway, as long as I got this place in town, I'm good to go with decently priced bricks!

That's strange, here they are listing 5 German-speaking LUGs (even though one looks Swiss).

The "Schmidts-bunte-Steinewelt" looks nice, although I struggle to understand all of their website...do they have some kind of Pick-a-Brick there?

Looks great, vivid colors and amazing sense of activity. :classic:

As soon as you posted the first section I knew this was going to be something special, and it just keeps getting better :thumbup:

I hope you give us some good pictures of the behind the wall modules soon (and the wall too, from what I see it looks pretty neat) :classic:

thanks for the positive feedback, it got me going to finish more stuff, and lego addict that I am, I simply can't resist clicking to bricks together for too long,

Anyway, I started a new ship:

10910113095_5cccc6f9a0_z.jpg

10910109925_7d89f40073_z.jpg

tried to finish module IV and ran out of bricks, started a new wall module (not sure what's going to be there) and started a sorting system, wonder when I ever get to do the stuff I have to do for work ...

@gideon: Not really sure whether those are lugs, looks more like some forums to me. So it might be Belug for me then, who knows. Kinda strange with so many Germans around here, but it's the people I got to know. As for the brick place, it's kinda like a physical brinlink shop (there is also a web one) so I go there and tell my dealer wich bricks I need. We then discuss the price and most of the time both of us end up happy :thumbup: BTW, I sorta copied your collecting system and have run out of space already ...

@infernum: why evolution in "... "?

@sk: yeah mate, you'll get to see the pics soon, but light was really shitty these last days, and for some dumb reason I left my white cardboard out in the rain ...

@sebeus and sny: more water modules with some small middle age style vessels and boats would make some really nice additions to this!

BTW, I sorta copied your collecting system and have run out of space already ...

I recognized them! Are those red cabinets also Raaco or just some very similar system?

Wow everything about your moc is fantastic. It really feels and looks like a little cove with run-down buildings and a small port. Keep up the good work.

I've just realized that I still havn't taken any pics of what's behind the wall, so here you go:

Wall module II:

11307426973_efdb71d0e1_z.jpg

11307436873_cf8a59cdb9_z.jpg

some buildings are getting an interiour:

11307379594_971f60cb72_z.jpg

Wall module III:

11307304535_5d9ee30955_z.jpg

11307307415_8920a42511_z.jpg

modules w II and w III connected:

11307333966_cb237a093a_z.jpg

Yes! I've been itching to see what lay behind the wall, and the walls themselves! Great as always. That dwarf doesn't look too happy at going to a human blacksmith!

hehe, there are actually a lot of small stories like this all over the layout. In this case the dwarves are pissed off because the sword they bought at there doesn't fulfill their understanding of quality weapons. Now they want their money back ... So next year in Antwerpen you can have a look at the real thing and see what else is going on there :wink:

Great incorporation of the bear shields :thumbup: I like all the interiors, they add a lot of life to the build :wub:

The wall works nicely for a Mitgardian city, somewhat simple, but very solid. Is that Elon walking around?

thanks for the feedback mates

@sk: it might be Elon, at least it's the head, havn't really thought about it yet, guess it's up for Eccs to say whether Elon should take a stroll through the city or not. As for the wall, I actually tried to keep it simple on, as most medieval cities were actually not really able to afford a very elaborate wall, that was something for the capitals. I also keept it in light bley on purpose in order to keep a contrast between the wall and the rock formations. Instead I tried to add variation by putting in brick bricks and stuff like that. Sorta like you usually do :wink: And yes, I'm glad I finally got some bear shields, the bear being the Mitgardia sigil. So by adding them to the gate I propose them to be the official shield of Mitgardia!

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: I like in particular the gate :wink:

So much inspiration here! I love your city layout! The little gatehouse is so neat and good looking!

I want to do something similar as well! I have one of my villages that will develop into a larger city in Benoic!

well thanks dg, it's good to hear that I inspire you, as you actually inspired me too! Anyways, if there was one advise I could give you for expanding Beonic it would be to work on indivdual 32*32 modules. That way you can easily work on something else once you get really frustrated with one particular piece. So currently I'm working on the w IV module, a new ship and the wf IV mudule at the same time!

Also I think it would be really cool to one day exibit all the GoH long term projects at one single exhibition next to each other ...

Edited by kabel