Sebeus I

Brick Mania Antwerpen - Pirate Layout

Last weekend I was present at Brickmania Antwerpen, I contributed to possibly the largest pirate layout ever.

12 ships, 4 fortresses, 2 small islands and over 1000 minifigs filled the scene, a scene to remember I'd say.

Besides the pirates there were many other things to see/do, I provided links to some galleries at the end of this post, be sure to check those out if you want to see more of the whole event.

Contributors to the Pirate Layout:

• J.L. Hornblower La Luna Fortress + Army + baseplates
  • Damaximus Mpya Stedor
  • Bonaparte Eldorado Fortress + Prince of Whales + Minerve + Xebec
  • Synbiote Islanders Island + small farm
  • Sebeus I All other ships and responsible for posing minifigures, ships and creating action scenes :pir-grin:
  • diddesen (didier) Lighthouse
  • Jean Marc Nimal no pictures alas...

Unfortunatly Captain Greenhair was unable to show up and contribute... pirate_sad2.gif

p115.jpg

There were over 6000 vistors during the weekend.

p116.jpg

There's so much going on in the layout, too much to describe in one picture so I've taken several, yet most of it can be described in function of a battle between redcoats and bluecoats,

enjoy :pir-classic: .

dsc00833.jpg

The French frigate Minerve has engaged the british brig Intersector, the redcoats are in for a hard time, the Minerve is bigger and more heavely armed and it gets worse...

dsc00842.jpg

The minerve is backed up by the Zephyr!

dsc00975.jpg

Yet hope is not lost for the redcoats...

dsc00849.jpg

The mighty Prince of Wales is turning about to join the battle.

dsc00845.jpg

Eldorado Fortress keeps watch over the naval activities and serves as a base for the redcoats.

dsc00859.jpg

It is being supplied by small trading ships.

dsc00861.jpg

While the battle at sea rages on something is stirring in the east...

dsc00866.jpg

Mpya Stedor, the mighty Kaliphlin port city!

dsc00876.jpg

Hundreds of riders are mobilized to support the redcoats on land.

dsc00885.jpg

Backed up by a Xebec to provide coastal defense...

dsc00888.jpg

...Which is more than welcome since one of the british battleships stranded earlier...

dsc00896.jpg

The battle takes place at the notorious French fortress known as La Luna...

dsc00900.jpg

Hundreds of redcoats are preparing to fight the battle of their life...

dsc00904.jpg

So are the bluecoats...

dsc00909.jpg

Both sides have vast numbers...

p104.jpg

Yet at La Luna seaside life just goes on.

p114.jpg

dsc00939.jpg

Farore's Wind is preparing for battle and will soon join the Minerve and Zephyr to counter the Prince of Wales...

dsc00961.jpg

However, a third party has risen to claim the sea... the Flying Dutchman will be making the outcome more uncertain than it already was.

I took my job as action scene and minifig poser most serious :pir-laugh:

dsc00982.jpg

Kids like to see these kind of details.

dsc00985.jpg

But my favourite scene was this one:

dsc00977.jpg

I hope you liked it, either way you should have been there, my pictures really don't do it justice.

I should have known, my pictures are never of great quality when taken with artificial light, you can check the rest of the pictures at Brickshelf.

Hopefully Damaximus will provide some of his pictures as well so I can update this post.

Besides the pirate layout there were many other layouts, stands etc. It was often very busy so I had to guard the layout a lot, I used the opportunity to take pictures of it. If you wish to see more of the event than just the pirate layout you can check out these galleries:

Perhaps some other Belug members will also be posting detailed reports about the other layouts.

Special thanks to Belug member Tomsche for providing some of the pictures I used in this post.

dsc00987.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I

Wow. Everything in and of itself is impressive. Together, it's beyond words. I can't get over all those minifigures! Very impressive battle scene--in the water, and on land.

Wasn't there more too see ???

This post is only about the Pirate Layout, I don't have much pictures of everything else pir_wacko.gif

Yet I should indeed mention there was more than just the pirates to see pirate_laugh2.gif .

As you should ! 89 people worked there vingers to the bone , and a lot more did their part to make this a very , very sucsesfull event ! Giving the impression that only 5or 6 people did suit the whole show is not very forcoming.

I saw the whole spectrum of every part in the LEGO-hobby. Did you ???

grtz Saint

As you should ! 89 people worked there vingers to the bone , and a lot more did their part to make this a very , very sucsesfull event ! Giving the impression that only 5or 6 people did suit the whole show is not very forcoming.

I saw the whole spectrum of every part in the LEGO-hobby. Did you ???

grtz Saint

I updated the post, I didn't mention it at first because I did post it within the pirate forum but no worries, credits will be provided for and I expect other people to post about other layouts.

You see a post of the whole event would be too long if I want to go into detail like I did for the pirate layout pirate_classic.gif .

Wow, that is amazing. Eldorado Fortress looks great in this new updated form! You really captured the historical accuracy with the alien.

They're real I tell you! They took Virginia Dare!

Sebeus, I really love your story and the pictures. It was great meeting you again and all the others who contributed to this massive pirate layout.

Next time I might bring my armies to make an even mightier layout. And if Captain Green Hair shows up with his ships we'll be needing a bigger see :pir-sweet:

After this event I'm inspirated again to finish a ship that's been half finished on my shelves for a long time.

I came and saw the layout and it was very impressive guys so very well done. I really liked seeing your El Dorado fortress remake too Bonaparte. I took some pictures of the event and they are on my Flickr. If you bring your army next time Bonaparte Im bringing mine then.

Sorry I couldn't come guys. :blush:

Seems like you had a great time, and a job well done. I'm proud of you. Go Blue!!! pirate_laugh2.gif

Best regards,

CGH/CBH/CRH

We missed you pir_laugh2.gif

Sebeus, I really love your story and the pictures. It was great meeting you again and all the others who contributed to this massive pirate layout.

Next time I might bring my armies to make an even mightier layout. And if Captain Green Hair shows up with his ships we'll be needing a bigger see :pir-sweet:

After this event I'm inspirated again to finish a ship that's been half finished on my shelves for a long time.

Likewise, the event inspired me as well to get back to ship-building.

thx Sebues for this nice report.

as a participant (2nd time) i am still impressed with the work that my companions have delivered.

LJ Hornblower with his massive army & coastal fortress,

Damaximus with Kaliphlin port city Mpya Stedor.

Bonaparte with his impressively detailed ships (Personally love the Xebec)

it again was a ton of stress to get everything built (starting just 2 weeks in advance surely didn't help)

The kids loved it & also a lot of the parents were amazed by the level of detail & awesomeness of this HUGE layout..

Special thumbs up to LJ Hornblower who not only manage to hurt his foot while attending, but also for keeping our sails full fo wind in this layout.

@ Bonaparte: even more sea ? :o good thing it didn't go by the "BYOB" principles (bring your own Baseplates) it had already spent all BeLUG's blue baseplates & almost all of LJ Hornblower's.

looking forward to a futur collaboration .

Sincerely.

Synbiote

*oh2* This is quite the masterpiece Seubus, bonaparte, synbiote, Damaxius. You guys have created one of the most amazing and inspirational pirate mocs I have seen. Thank you for sharing this. Edited by cullmancreations

The kids loved it & also a lot of the parents were amazed by the level of detail & awesomeness of this HUGE layout..

Special thumbs up to LJ Hornblower who not only manage to hurt his foot while attending, but also for keeping our sails full fo wind in this layout.

@ Bonaparte: even more sea ? :o good thing it didn't go by the "BYOB" principles (bring your own Baseplates) it had already spent all BeLUG's blue baseplates & almost all of LJ Hornblower's.

looking forward to a futur collaboration .

Sincerely.

Synbiote

Thanks, eventhough your part represented a smaller section of the layout, that Islanders Island of yours attracted a lot of attention pirate_laugh_new.gif

Seems like you had a great time there thumbup.gif

It's an impressive layout and enabled you to make some great photographs.

I'd love to join your fleet some day in a future event!

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Glad you could do something with the pictures. It definitly was a mighty display, so many great small scenes worked into it, I stared at it for half an hour, and hadn't even noticed the alien

great event, great layout and I'm really temted to contribute something next year too ...

glad I had the opportunity to see it in real life, but too bad I didn't get to meet Bonaparte in person

2 weeks ago i exhibited my own layout at a hobby fair, that was the 7 exhibition with my ships. I know all about the stress to set things up before people streams in, ETC. BUT!!! Its all worth the expression on peoples faces and their amazed comments. I would love to some day be able to exhibit in this Pirate layout, or just a pirate layout with more people than me in it. 6000 people?? Thats ALOT!!!! And its all the small scenes and details that contains most humor, like the alien chasing the girl .or the pirates escaping the islanders. Great layout I wish i could've been there. or participated.

This is absolutely awesome!

Great work guys, congrats pirate_satisfied.gif

...wow... Just wow! So much going on - it just got more and more awesome the further I read!

Thanks for sharing!