Ssorg

Douglas DC-3 in Buffalo Airways colors

Greetings!

Thought of sharing my latest MOC. Some people might already know about this, as it's on CUUSOO and also on my Flickr page.

A Douglas DC-3 airplane in Buffalo Airways colors:

10659974656_6363fab51d_c.jpg

Some of you might remember my first DC-3 MOC, also on CUUSOO: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/17534

Well it happened that Mikey McBryan (https://twitter.com/mikeymcbryan) of the Buffalo Airways, a company operating an entire fleet of real DC-3s and other classic planes, found that project and then contacted me with his idea that we could make a Buffalo Airways DC-3 project on CUUSOO, me taking care of the model and he focusing on the promotion business.

The Buffalo aviation family and their planes star in this TV show Ice Pilots NWT as well. I confess, I have never watched it myself - I don't watch anything on TV, since I don't have a TV. :snicker:

This DC-3 design is smaller than my first one, that is, more affordable and easier to handle, in order to have better chances in the CUUSOO Review - if this project gets that far. :laugh: Maybe FOLs here on Eurobricks like to help?

We've seen how IP-connected licence-requiring ideas tend to succeed at getting 10k supports on CUUSOO far more easily than all-original ideas. So I was thinking, if they gotta be licenced stuff, at least be something that makes sense as a Lego set idea, and can appeal to others too (regular kids & dedicated FOLs) and not just the particular special interest group.

So I'm thinking, a cool airplane with both display & play value, can't go wrong, right? :tongue:

A few more pics:

10660164073_39f0ed8c9e_c.jpg

Some pieces are not yet available in colors used (especially green) so I had to PAINT them! :sceptic:

10659961264_486cb4f19b_c.jpg

Like my bigger DC-3, this too has retractable landing gears, operated from the knob:

10659899875_065007a8d1_c.jpg

And of course some essentials for playability, like the luxury of interior accessible via detachable top sections (a pilot can sit in the cockpit, passengers and/or cargo space in the back):

10660130883_8d5ea86b4d_c.jpg

If you liked this project to have its chance in the final CUUSOO Review, please support - or just check out for more information like piece count and measures:

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/51472

Anyway, my MOC ain't mine no more. As a part of our deal, Mikey paid for the model and I shipped it to Canada. Bye bye baby! But I'm sure she'll be loved there at her new home. :purrr:

And just a little note if there are some new folks here who don't know about my other projects on CUUSOO and might be interested. :grin:

10810861764_eb0e34f651_c.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.c.../Ssorg#projects

Edited by Ssorg

Already supporting this new project of yours 'Ssorg', at least licensing problems are not going to be a problem at all eh ? :wink:

I wish you luck with this AWESOME plane design and Brick On 'Ssorg' ! :grin:

at least licensing problems are not going to be a problem at all eh ? :wink:

Well when it comes to Mikey & rest of the Buffalo Airways family, quite likely not. :laugh:

In normal situations THREE IPs (here the DC-3 plane itself, the Buffalo Airways company and the Ice Pilots TV show) might be problematic for TLG to negotiate through, but luckily the LEGO brand is already doing little cooperation with both Buffalo & Ice Pilots, which should make things little easier:

http://www.legoland....-Pilots-School/

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...oland-1.1220650

Thanks for your early support & all the wishes! :classic:

Edited by Ssorg

Your welcome 'Ssorg', always happy to support another Cuusoo builder. :classic:

You might be right only on the DC-3 front though, but it wouldn't stop Lego designing a similar plane like they did for during the Indiana Jones theme. :wink:

I was not aware that all the models in your signature were from one person. As incredible as it sounds, these are the ONLY projects I ever supported (together with the western modular).

I am so disappointed none of them have yet reached the review stage. I would buy any of these models in a heartbeat.

This last plane is so beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.

If this came out, it would be very high on my "must buy" list. Absolutely beautiful!

What I really love about this is the combination of aesthetics and playability. The aircraft looks amazing (those wings!) *and* has lots of functions. The frame seems to be stable, otherwise there wouldn't be so many detachable parts. It's probably fully swooshable, isn't it?

I'd surely buy this as a set though I wonder if it has a chance to pass the review process - any actual plane in minifig scale would look quite bland compared to this. Anyhow good luck! :thumbup:

It's probably fully swooshable, isn't it?

Sure is! After completing it, I just couldn't stop swooshing it around. :laugh:

Wow, impressive.

The model is great. Nice attention to all the details.

I like the way you did the trailing edge and the fairing of the wing. Makes it look perfect.

I like the way you did the trailing edge and the fairing of the wing. Makes it look perfect.

Looks like the wings in particular are receiving praising attention here. :grin:

And thank you for all the compliments!