Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#87: The Marketplace Mystery

"Do you suspect anyone? Were the weapons stolen all of a particular type?" asks Avalanche.

Avalanche takes a step towards the monk, "I am not an animal. If I was, do you think I would be intelligent enough to come to Heroica and partake in this quest. You're a complete hypocrite and a racist! All you do is discriminate racially! And as for a shave...well, I could do with a knife right now..." He glares again at Pretzel.

"Stop fighting. Just ignore this little Monk. He's a freak."

:facepalm: "Dwarf!" I hiss. "It may be worthwhile that you do not antagonize those who we are hear to assist. You wouldn't want to give our Town Watch friend the wrong idea would you? Besides, I'm not so sure that his origin has anything to do with what is happening here."

"Ha!" Amma laughs out loud. "He is a liar! He pretends to be a dwarf and pretends to sell dwarven made weapons. Look at him, look at his feet, at his beard. This man is no dwarf. He is a cheater."

*to Anwyl*

"I'd like to see through your warehouse. To 'prove' what is 'missing'. Or what might be there what isn't supposed to be there."

Edited by PsyKater

"Thanks," replies Avalanche, sheathing his club, "I'll just ignore him." He turns his back on Pretzel.

Edited by Dragonfire

Heckz looks at Monk Pretzel impaetenlty. Does he take me for a fool? He's the foolish one to not take care of his body. Maybe I could kill him. I've done it a lot of times before, I'm stilla little rusty at it though. And my new magical powers may help me in the progress.

"Mr. Warlock, you appear to be sweating. Care for a kerchief?"

The detective takes the handkerchief with pleasure.

heroicanpc-warlock1.jpg

"Oh, thank you, dear friar! I'm just really nervous... and this itchy wig does not exactly help my condition."

"It appears so, my good dwarf...if you are indeed a dwarf. I'll be honest with you and tell you that your weapons' rack looks pretty tidy as it is. Are you missing any items and if so, would you mind telling me what is missing?"

heroicanpc-anwylsmokebeard.jpg

"Bah, this rack is just for show. You should have seen my smithy a few days ago! Didn't that sketchy creature show you the picture of it he took yet? It seems some of my more precious weapons were taken, but I've yet to organize everything so I cannot be sure."

"Aside from that, can you tell us if you remember someone coming to your smithy in the last few days, acting unusual? For example, someone just asking you questions about your shop and leaving without buying anything?" Thalion addressed Anwyl.

"You wouldn't believe the amount of strange customers I get! Some days ago there was this shady dark-skinned guy with a wide-brimmed hat and a raggedy cape. Also, a smelly barbarian and a hulking ogre. There was also a yeti... Oh, that yeti there to be exact! I do remember a werehen popping up a few days ago, asking about a lost chicken, too..."

"So, Mister Doesn't look like he takes care of his facial hair, do you know of anyone who might be jealous of any of you five merchant's succesfulnes?"

"Ha, only every other merchant in this city! The deal we have made with Heroica has proven to be very lucrative."

"Tell us the truth before you say anything else: Who are you? Where do you come from? What are your origins?"

"Wow, calm down, madame! I am Anwyl son of Hammar son of Forgin, of the Blackbeard Clan under the Mountains of Titaan. My whole bloodline consists of blacksmiths and armorers, and we are all devout worshippers of Mythra, the Mythril Maiden. How dare you question my heritage?!"

"And why in the name of my fabulous clothes, credit to Fabian for that, does smoke come out of your beard?"

"My profession has it's downsides. Fire and a long beard are not the safest of combinations."

"Are you aware of the method of entry?"

"Yes. The bastard picked the lock on the back door."

"Do you suspect anyone? Were the weapons stolen all of a particular type?"

"I mass produce weapons of... err, inferior quality, but it seems the burglar took at least some of the unique weapons I have in store for special customers. Hey, you critter, care to show the picture you took now?"

heroicaquest87-watsap1.jpg

"Not if you keep mocking me, beardy. Oh well, here goes."

ANWYL SMOKEBEARD'S CASE

The smithy was raided and left in disarray. Search the picture for weapons that are unique, one-of-a-kind. How many can you find and where are they situated?

heroicaquest87-anwylssmithy2.jpg

Thalion looks over and points to several weapons, "The fist-guard on the table, to the right (If it is a weapon and not equipment for smithing...); the sai on the right rack, the rapier in the barrel to the left; the staff-mace in the barrel to the right; the short sword next to the blue crystal on the far left; and the strange looking black bow in the crate in the center. Those seem to be the unique weapons left... " He looks at Anwyl, "Care to guess why the burglar would leave them, and take the other ones?"

After a short pause he added, to no one in particular, "Why is all this food in here? And that chicken..."

Edited by -obelix-

Avalanche frowns at Anwyl, "I never bought anything from you...maybe you have me confused with Nagure. Besides, the halberd hanging on the wall on the far left of the room is unique...."

Edited by Dragonfire

Avalanche frowns at Anwyl, "I never bought anything from you...maybe you have me confused with Nagure. Besides, the halberd hanging on the wall on the far left of the room is unique...."

Thalion smiles and nods at Avalanche, "You are right my friend it does look like the only one of its kind here, I missed that one. You have a good eye."

"...Is there any reason there is a carrot cooling off with the other weapons, Mr. Smokebeard?"

Thalion looks over and points to several weapons, "The fist-guard on the table, to the right (If it is a weapon and not equipment for smithing...); the sai on the right rack, the rapier in the barrel to the left; the staff-mace in the barrel to the right; the short sword next to the blue crystal on the far left; and the strange looking black bow in the crate in the center. Those seem to be the unique weapons left... " He looks at Anwyl, "Care to guess why the burglar would leave them, and take the other ones?"

Avalanche frowns at Anwyl, "I never bought anything from you...maybe you have me confused with Nagure. "Besides, the halberd hanging on the wall on the far left of the room is unique...."

QM Note: Ahem...

"I'm sure it was you. I know there's another yeti around, but he's not as vertically challenged as you are. But you are right: those seven weapons are indeed unique. Now I know what's missing: my Warhammer of Dwarven Legacy. Curse the son-of-a-bitch that took it!"

heroicanpc-warlock1.jpg

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss, dear smith. Is there anything else we can do for you? I can't think of what it could possibly be, but I thought I should at least ask..."

"Just catch the thief and bring me back my hammer. Show that the Town Watch isn't completely worthless, son."

Warlock gulps. The pressure is really getting to him...

ANWYL'S CASE SOLVED!

Thalion gains a third of a level while Avalance gains a full level!

"...Is there any reason there is a carrot cooling off with the other weapons, Mr. Smokebeard?"

"How should I know? Maybe the burglar liked carrots, and left one behind...?"

heroicaquest87-watsap1.jpg

"Are we really staying here to gawk at random vegetables, or should we rather visit one of the other victims?"

Hm. i look at the photo, still marvelling over the technology behind it.

"it's still something the criminal left behind at the scene, is it not?"

"Yes, let's get away from here. Should we spend our beloved Portia a little visit next? I think nobody earns with the Hero business as much as she does."

"Good call!" I nod appreciatively at Thalion.

I should adopt this one as my understudy for the duration of this quest. Perhaps I will need to find out more about him though.

"Hmmm..."

I scribble in my notebook:

Yeti pretends not to be present at crime scene when actually he was...LEAD 1.

"Oh, thank you, dear friar! I'm just really nervous... and this itchy wig does not exactly help my condition."

"It is nothing."

"You wouldn't believe the amount of strange customers I get! Some days ago there was this shady dark-skinned guy with a wide-brimmed hat and a raggedy cape. Also, a smelly barbarian and a hulking ogre. There was also a yeti... Oh, that yeti there to be exact! I do remember a werehen popping up a few days ago, asking about a lost chicken, too..."

"Shady, dark-skinned person...sounds like Nur, doesn't it Stigveladi? Smelly barbarian? I've seen the ogre around the hall... A werehen. There was a hen in the painting, was there not? Sounds as if the culprit may have left a trace and made the mistake of coming back to look for it. It does sound a bit convenient though."

"I mass produce weapons of... err, inferior quality, but it seems the burglar took at least some of the unique weapons I have in store for special customers. Hey, you critter, care to show the picture you took now?"

"Inferior quality? Are the ones you sell to Heroica inferior as well? Hmm...I have to say I am glad I've never bought a weapon directly from you. At least you do a decent job with the merging of the gems. Perhaps we can discuss the cost of some of your more unique weapons a little later on," I suggest.

Stigveladi is already heading to Portia's, so I follow her.

"Portia's shop is next on the list. Let's go."

Edited by Palathadric

"Are we still not going to Fabian's?" Heckz crosses his arms and slowly walks to Portia's.

"Fabian's shop is next on the list after Portia's. No need to be impatient."

Avalanche pulled his club from his back. "Vertically challenged? Vertically challenged? You can talk, you overgrown dwarf! Nagure is about ten years older than me! Have you never heard that older beings are normally larger than younger beings? And guess what, you just admitted that your weapons are useless. I'm never buying from you!" He turned to the Monk, "Perhaps you would care to look in my haversack? I only own two weapons, and one was spoils from a battle. The other, I had with me before I joined Heroica. Anwyl only sells weapons. It's quite clear that I've never been to his stall. He's a liar and a cheat!" After this outburst, Avalanche follows the others to Portia's.

Hearing another outburst of that little Yeti, Stigveladi starts to smile. "Anwyl will finally have to close his shop as soon as I have convicted him of being a liar, a thief and most probably a murderer as well. Well, at least some of you now realize and stop buying from him."

"You're jumping to conclusions, dwarf. We have yet to convict anyone of any crime.

Now then, to Portia's."

Avalanche, panting, returns his club to its sheath once again. You must control your temper, Avalanche. It will be the death of you. Avalanche, startled, says, "Who said that?" He then realises that nobody else has heard the voice, "Sorry guys, just thought I heard...Never mind."

Edited by Dragonfire

QM Note: D'oh! I totally forgot to reward Avalanche and Thalion for their good job in solving Anwyl's case with experience, like I was supposed to! It's fixed now!

Party:

fb957f5f-eb76-4fed-ab00-fcf7d3e8445a_zps36439132.jpg

Avalanche (Dragonfire)

29 years old male yeti Barbarian

Level 4
*Natural Respite*

Power:
(4+5)

Health:
11/11
(7 + 4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Trollsbane (club, WP:5,
earth
-elemental)

Inventory:
Potion, Bottle of Mead, Smoke Bomb, Venom, Phoenix Essence, Pumpkin Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Bone

10632256334_a9ff1c7529_o.jpg

John 'Heckz' Brutenhal
,The Ghostbuster
(Eric-Su)

32 year old male Sorcerer.

Level 15
*Immune
to
Sealed

Power:
(15+9)
(
Spellpower:
(15+9+5)
)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(5+14+4)

Ether:
26/26
(5+14+1+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Rawr (WP:9), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5, handwear) Robe Of The Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether + 5, Immune to Sealed

Inventory:
Rat Scepter (WP:3, 4x damage to enemies named “rat”; wand), Lovelorn Wand (WP 6, deals
Enamored
effect),
Pitchfork of Abomination (WP:1, pierces all defenses including SP but breaks after one use; suitable to all classes), Opal (
Ice
), Garnet (
Earth
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Health Core, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Grand Potion, Ether Core, Remedy, Elixir, Smelling Salts, Mead, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Shovel.

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel
(Palathadric) *Party Leader*

463-year-old male "hermit" Paladin

Level:

Power:
19 + 15
(+5, In the Front Row)

Defense:
9 (+5, in the Back Row)

Health:
43/43
41 + 2*

Ether:
31/31
27 + 4

Gold:

Equipment:
Conspirator (WP; 15; deals "Blinded" effect; Longsword), Fashionable Shield (SP:7), Strategist's Shako (Suitable for anyone, +5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back, headwear), Ethereal Cloak (Backwear; SP:2; Max Ether +4), Soothing Slippers (Footwear, Meditate restores 5 ether)

Inventory:
The Muckraker (WP: 13;
Earth
Water
Wood
; deals "Weakened" effect; Greatsword), Heavy Flail (WP: 5; deals "Fragile" effect; Mace), Dual staff (WP:8;
Ice
Lightning
; Dual Strike), Flying Cross (WP:6;
Darkness
Fire
Wind
; Broomstick), Steak (WP:1, instantly kills vampires on successful hits, suitable for all), Impervious Shield (SP: 5) (Grants immunity to Fire), Shackles of War,
Diamond
, Scroll of Sealing, Potion (2), Grand Potion (4), Ether Core (2), Remedy (5), Soma, Smelling Salts (2), Phoenix Essence (2), Phoenix Incense, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), Venom (4), Deadly Venom (5), Paralyzing Venom (2), Smoke Bomb (2), Bone (3), Rito Feather (consumable, grants the hastened- and blessed-effects upon use for one battle), Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
when used, limited to three uses per quest)
, Magnificent Magniscope (Magnifying Glass/Telescope)

V916GDK.jpg

Sorrow
(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 24 1/3
*Immune to
Light
and Blinded*

Power:
(24+27+1)

Defense:

Health:
35/35
(7+21+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27
Ice
and
Darkness
Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear), Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory:
Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x5, Health Core x2, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x15, Smelling Salts x15, Nostrum x15, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.),
Root beer
(Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.), Tonic x1, Exterium (Can be used on an enemy to make them Confused and Plagued (15 damage, -1 SP) for 3 rounds), Ambrosia, Shark Jaw Scythe (WP 15/30 vs. Aquatic Monsters)

Amma_ava100.jpg

Stigveladi
"Amma"
Kötturin
, the Ghost Buster, the Krakenwhacker and the Titan Smiter (played by PsyKater)

247 years old dwarven Battle Mage

Level 21 1/3
*Immune to
Sealed

Power:
(21+20)

Defense:
(2+3)

Health:
31/31
(5+5+20+1)

Ether:
31/31
(5+1+20+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Ġeofon (WP:20, 4x damage to enemies weak to
Water
axe
), Winged Helmet (+2 SP;
headwear
), Robe of the Archmagi (+3 SP; +5 Ether;
bodywear
), Medal of Glory (Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles;
accessory
)

Inventory:
Wishing Wand (WP:12; each successful hit has ½ chance of inflicting either
asleep
blinded
sealed
- or
confused
-effect, according to what the user wishes;
wand
), Stealth Dagger (WP: 12;
dagger
), Wand of Poking (WP: 10; double WP for physical attacks;
wand
), Dwarven Broomstick (WP: 3;
broomstick
), Enchanted Bracelet (Protects from Sealed effect), Crown of the Sea Kings (gives the wearer +20 SP, +20 max. health and +20 max. ether when fighting at a sea, lake or river;
headwear
), Cat Statuette (
"Grettir"
, +1 HP,
a
ccessory
), Pointy Hat (Suitable for mages and clerics, +2 max ether,
headwear
), Lover's Ring (+2 HP;
a
ccessory
), Spiked Collar (+1 P;
accessory
),
Opal (
Ice
),
Topaz (
Lightning
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Garnet (
Earth
),
Sapphire (
Wind
),
Ruby (
Fire
),
Emerald (
Wood
),
Scroll of Inspiration,
Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening
, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep,
2x Titan Heart (Grants
encouraged
- and
inspired
-effects when consumed), 2x Kraken Fang (grants
hastened
- and
reinforced
-effects when consumed),
5x Potion,
4x Tonic,
3x Grand Potion,
2x Grand Tonic,
3x Remedy,
4x Phoenix Incense,
4x Mead, 4x Nostrum, 6x Venom, 3x Dirt Bomb, 8x Water Bomb, Fire Bomb,
Skeleton Decoy, 2x Bone,
Bedroll, Shovel,
1x Silver Ore (worth 60 gold),Gold Bar (worth 50 gold)

1aa.jpg

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Sorcerer

Level:
*Immune to
Fragile
Sealed,
Poisoned
and
Badly Poisoned

Power:
(21 + 13)

Defense
: 7
(3 + 4)

Health:
29/29
(5 + 20 + 4)

Ether:
31/31
(5 + 20 + 1 + 5)

Gold
: 2

Equipment:
Alpha and Omega (WP:13, dual healing/spellcasting at the cost of 2 ether, staves), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5,
Immunity to
Se
aled,
bodywear
),
Emerald Hood (SP:4, Immunity to
Fragile,
headwear
)
, Sterile Gloves (
Immunity to
Poisoned
and
Badly Poisoned,
handwear
)

Inventory
:

Gems:
Zirconia (Gem containing all elements; cannot be merged into equipment),
Amethyst (
Darkness
), Diamond (
Light
), Garnet (
Earth
),
Opal (
Ice
)
, Aquamarine (
Water
), Topaz (
Lightning
)

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening
, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep

Weapons:
Sleeper (WP:5, deals
Asleep
to enemies it hits, Hollow Upgrade [Grand Potion stored], melee/throwing weapon), Ratsbane (WP:10, absorbs 2 health on successful hits, dagger), Batarang (WP:13,
darkness
-elemental, throwing weapon),

Artifacts:
Duplovian Helmet of the Guard (SP:2, Immune to
Magic
and
Healing
headwear
), Cloak of Espionage (Allows the wearer to examine enemy stats before a battle,
backwear
), Snake Eye Charm (Protects from
Petrified
-effect,
accessory
)

Tools
: Magic Compass,
Shovel,
Bedroll

Consumables:
Copy of
The Eubric Herald
(Gives the target the
transcended
- and
inspired
- effects for the duration of one battle), Nostrum (3), Smelling Salts (3), Phoenix Essence, Elixir, Health Core, Potion, Grand Potion (3), Grand Tonic, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy (2), Smoke Bomb, Bone

The detective and the party move next door to the stall where the ever-smiling blonde merchant is waiting for them.

heroicaquest87-portiaspotionshack1.jpg

heroicanpc-portia.jpg

"Wow, what a pickle we're in! When I heard the other stores got broken into, I put extra locks into my warehouse - but it was no use! At least that smelly monster managed to took picture of my wares before the raid, so you guys can tell what was taken. I sure don't know, my job is to just look pretty and take in the gold!"

heroicanpc-warlock1.jpg

"Well, Miss Portia, what did you...? Eh, what were we supposed to ask, again?"

Warlock looks at the heroes for support.

"Before we get to the warehouse and the missing items, miss Portia, in the last few days, did you have any costumers acting unusually, having requests for items you don't normally sell, or is there anything out of ordinary happening, other then ransacking of course, that you can think of...?"

"Portia, were the stolen items of a higher value than the rest? And did the thieves completely ransack your shop like they did with Anwyl's?" asks Avalanche, "And I personally have been one of Portia's customers in the last week; I bought a dirt bomb from her for this quest."

OOC: Thanks for the XP, Sandy!

Edited by Dragonfire

"Miss Portia, dio you know of anyone who could have wanted to steal your items? Do you even know which Items were stolen?"

I wonder if Portia remembers me from the massive amount of meads, smelling slats, and nostrums I've purchased rom the woman? Probably not in f avorable light, considering my... status.

"Monster? What makes you think it wasn't a human?"