Sign in to follow this  
Leewan

MOC: Jake Silksen

Pop pop ! Here comes an MOC I had forgotten for months. It's a Hero a friend and I designed back in Julk, which uses my DH entry's torso.

Once again, comments and criticisms are appreciated. ;)

I really like the colours, and I really like the torso build. It bares the same proportions as a 'standard' Hero, but its build is much more solid and it actually has back armor, something I really like.

I'm not so sure about the 'Toa Mata' feet here, but it makes it unique, so I like it.

Hmm- maybe a little more dark red to match the Slizer foot on the waist armor? Otherwise nice.

Thanks for commenting !

I'm not so sure about the 'Toa Mata' feet here, but it makes it unique, so I like it.

Probably because they are white. Maybe Metru feet could have been better.

Hmm- maybe a little more dark red to match the Slizer foot on the waist armor? Otherwise nice.

The Slizer foot is actually red. But dark red and white could be an interesting color scheme, I'll give it a try ! ;)

Oh, my mistake, I thought it was dark red for some reason. But yeah, that could be an interesting color scheme for a Hero.

Your mistake is understandable, since, strangely enough, this foot's shade is a bit darker than regular red parts. And since this one is the only one I have...

Well, anyways, I think you guys will see a dark red and white Hero appear very soon ! :laugh: (And I have Worriz since two weeks, it's time to use his parts !)

Yes, some old red parts are very weird, they are darker and almost translucent. I have a red 8t gear from a Slizers set with the same problem as your Slizer foot. The MOC is amazing, I love how you took regular HF scale and elevated it, and the color scheme is perfect! :thumbup:

I think the issue with the red foot and gear is that they're actually not red. I forget the exact color name (I'm sure Aanchir would know), I think it's "rust" or something, but it's a color with barely any parts produced in it.

The MOC is amazing, I love how you took regular HF scale and elevated it, and the color scheme is perfect! :thumbup:

Thanks ! That's what I prefer : build custom bits, but while still keeping the standard size.

About my color issue, according to BL, this is standard red. But it must be made of a different plastic, I don't know... And the gear's color is indeed called rust, at least on bricklink.

Edited by Leewan

Cool color scheme, though I honestly think a black skeleton or a black-and-grey skeleton would suit him better than an all-grey skeleton. The dark stone grey just doesn't contrast as much with the shells as black would have. Similarly, I think a blue head and hero core to match the blue ammo would make the design feel more energetic.

In terms of armor shapes and equipment, this hero doesn't have a whole lot to brag about. It's pretty standard-issue stuff, and works better as a proof-of-concept for the skeleton build than as a unique character design. Did you have a particular theme in mind when you designed this guy and chose his color scheme, or were you just working with colors that you decided looked good together?

Overall, a quality model, but his design doesn't have a whole lot of individual personality.

Cool color scheme, though I honestly think a black skeleton or a black-and-grey skeleton would suit him better than an all-grey skeleton. The dark stone grey just doesn't contrast as much with the shells as black would have. Similarly, I think a blue head and hero core to match the blue ammo would make the design feel more energetic.

I agree with the blue head/core idea, but I don't think adding some black to the skeleton would be a good idea (but it all depends on how colors are spread).

In terms of armor shapes and equipment, this hero doesn't have a whole lot to brag about. It's pretty standard-issue stuff, and works better as a proof-of-concept for the skeleton build than as a unique character design. Did you have a particular theme in mind when you designed this guy and chose his color scheme, or were you just working with colors that you decided looked good together?

I don't really remember, but I probably chose those colors because I had nothing else left. :laugh: Most of my bones were used by MOCs I had built for the Festi'Briques exhibition which took place during the last weekend of October, and a lot of armors were on MOCs too. But you're totally right about the proof-of-concept thing. This MOC was mainly built because I wanted to see if the torso I designed for the contest was buildable IRL.

But this is also a part of how I work. Most of my MOCs have custom torsos, and standard arms and legs.

Also, posting this MOC made me want to rebuild its torso, and I made a little modification to it : I used this to attach the Hordika necks, instead of this assembly, which makes the whole torso lighter and simpler.

I couldn't, although this is possible in LDD thanks to a bug, IRL the Inika leg armor avoids to put a MTIS, unfortunately.