Robr

Lego Duplo locomotive stops after 1 second

I was asked to repair a DUPLO locomotive (52088) The one that has a rotary sensor at the front axle.

The problem is that when I push the top button the horn sounds and it moves forward for 1 second. Then stops. Every time....

When I push fast two times the stopping sound also works and the wheels stop directly.

I've dismantled it and looked if the reed sensor was defect. But that works good.

I looked at the motor unit but do not see any strange things.

The water intake "sound" works fine.

When I bypass the print plate and put the + at motor directly the motor runs fine too.

I cannot find what makes the motor stop every time

What could I check or do more?

Sincerely

Rob

Edited by Robr

Can you maybe upload pictures? That would help. Better also try to find or reproduce the circuit.

I'll try to do the pictures. The one from my iPad are too big. I'm no Elektro technician so to reproduce the circuit will be a challenge...:0)

now and then it is a challenge since often manufactures seal the chips... I'm suspecting a motor driver IC is the cause. (not an electrical engineer myself, but do teach Informatica / Embedded systems so have some professional knowledge).

I bought a new Duplo train for my nephew a few years back. I tested the locomotive to prevent disappointment when playing with the present after opening it.

I put batteries in it, pressed the run button and it had the same behaviour you described. Then I put the dang thing on the ground pressed again and I had to chase it through my room. Apparently there is a pressure sensor in those trains to prevent, I assume, kids hurting themselves when the wheels spin without touching the rails/ground.

You say it moves forward 1 second so I assume you put it on a surface, but if not you might have the same problem I experienced and almost made me claim warranty.

It is an older version but it is always a good ice to check with LEGO for a replacement. My brother in law has good experiences with that (accidentally one of my nieces drowned the train in a bucket of water ;)) although he told LEGO the cause, they just replaced it without any charge.

On 11/10/2013 at 2:09 PM, NoEinstein said:

Apparently there is a pressure sensor in those trains to prevent, I assume, kids hurting themselves when the wheels spin without touching the rails/ground.

NoEinstein, thanks for this info. Saved me a bit of a headache repairing an eBay purchase 3 days before xmas. Let me know if you have Venmo or something; I'll buy you a beer.

@Domhnall: this is a topic from 2013, so I guess the original poster @Robr  either found a solution or his kids are probably too old for Duplo in the meantime, welcome to Eurobricks but please adhere to the rules.