What better way to use the built in Infrared ports available on more and more Android devices these days than to control Power Functions with it? :wink:

I know there was a discussion in an earlier post a while back with someone asking if such an app exists, so here it is : PFremote for Android compatible with Samsung and HTC devices with built in IR : Galaxy S4, Tab 2/3, HTC One, HTC One Max .

It is actually a port from the one already available for iOS, but since no iOS device has ( and probably will never have ) and IR port, the one for iOS requires NXT and some aftermarket sensors ( HITechnic and PFMate ). This one uses the IR port directly.

It will be available for download on the Amazon Appstore on November 9th, but until then here are some teaser videos :)

That looks great. Sadly my phone (Nexus 4) doesn't have an IR blaster, as far as I know...

@camaudio : using 3.5mm IR jacks is on the todo list.

That looks great. Sadly my phone (Nexus 4) doesn't have an IR blaster, as far as I know...

Maybe Nexus 5 has one? If so time for an upgrade :)

I have a note 8 tablet with a IR blaster on it would be curious to see how this worked on it.

Can it do the train remote(the one with the 8-speed dials) commands as well? The IR software on my tablet was never able to fully learn those.

Edited by aurly

I have a note 8 tablet with a IR blaster on it would be curious to see how this worked on it.

It works on all Samsung devices with IR, so it should work fine on Note 8.

Can it do the train remote(the one with the 8-speed dials) commands as well? The IR software on my tablet was never able to fully learn those.

It does have 8 speed steps selectable for each channel so it should work. Is the PF IR Receiver the same as on the Technic ones? ( v1 or v2 ) ? If so, should work just fine.

Finally!

Are you able to customize which functions sit where on the display. Only because it looked a little tricky crossing over to operate the 9398.

It does have 8 speed steps selectable for each channel so it should work. Is the PF IR Receiver the same as on the Technic ones? ( v1 or v2 ) ? If so, should work just fine.

Yes, train receiver is the same as Technic one (this explain why PF receiver is soooo studded!)

A very interesting project, too bad my Nexus 7 doesn't have IR built in...

Are you able to customize which functions sit where on the display. Only because it looked a little tricky crossing over to operate the 9398.

It is actually easier than it looks :classic: . All the buttons are fixed. The IR is placed on top and so the phone needs to be held pointing forward. And the buttons need to be big to be able to touch them without looking at the phone. This limits the way they can be placed on phones. It is a lot better on a tablet.

I found this one recently: http://www.designa.m...oidPF/home.html

I also tried to make the IR transmitter according to the instructions but my first attempt failed :)

I would be careful with the transmitter as it is shown there. IR LEDs can draw quite a lot of current due to their mode of operation. What is the voltage the jack operates? I hope the jack would be overload protected

It is actually a port from the one already available for iOS, but since no iOS device has ( and probably will never have ) and IR port, the one for iOS requires NXT and some aftermarket sensors ( HITechnic and PFMate ). This one uses the IR port directly.

Did you port the app?

May I add a wish? Can you implement the extended address range as well? This would enable further 4 channels that will be outside the normal range of the standard LEGO PF-Remotes

PFremote for Android compatible with Samsung and HTC devices with built in IR : Galaxy S4, Tab 2/3, HTC One, HTC One Max .

Will it only work with those specific devices, or will it work with other devices that have built in IR e.g. the Sony Xperia Tablet Z?

Very nice!

Interface looks cool. Although customizable buttons would be a real asset!

But this is a very nice start.

I just came across another solution for devices without built in IR transmitter: http://www.irdroid.com/

It's a bit more complex but certainly doesn't harm the audio out and should be compatible with the other app (DroidPF).

Does this support the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

I've been waiting for this for ages :classic: and was thinking about trying to code an app myself, even though I know nothing about coding :grin:

@camaudio : using 3.5mm IR jacks is on the todo list.

Maybe Nexus 5 has one? If so time for an upgrade :)

The N5 doesn't include an IR blaster :/

Did you port the app?

May I add a wish? Can you implement the extended address range as well? This would enable further 4 channels that will be outside the normal range of the standard LEGO PF-Remotes

Yes, I ported it, with the help of my team :wink: .

I will look into the extended address range and see if it can be included in the next update.

Interface looks cool. Although customizable buttons would be a real asset!

Thanks. Just to be clear, do you mean being able to move the buttons on screen into different positions? As it is now you can only label them as you wish.

Will it only work with those specific devices, or will it work with other devices that have built in IR e.g. the Sony Xperia Tablet Z?

Only Samsung and HTC devices for now. It will be extended to support Sony and LG devices in a future update.

Does this support the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

It is a definite yes :classic:

No, not on the Google Play Store. It is on the Amazon Appstore only. You can download the Amazon Appstore app from Google Play, and then it is in essence the same, you just need an amazon account ( I doubt there is a living person not having one :)) )

ah didn't realise it was a paid app thought it was free for simple functions with a paid version offering macros, multiple setups and the like....

Edited by Rockbrick

I'd prefer something that works over something other than IR. LIke bluetooth for example. Or even wifi..