NiceMarmot

The University of Petraea's Doctorate of Historica Program

@Kai NRG, this is my one-time post for these credits (I myself am a willing grader in Kaliphlin).  I can put it elsewhere if that would be better.

@Grover, I approve of all credits, except the Military Battle Scene and see my notes about the “Fishery and Shrine” MOC being in too many categories. In general, I like how thoroughly you have thought through and represented the real-world needs and situations that these buildings, people and objects inhabit.

Architecture

Early Spring in Prenmôr - Technic pin roof
I agree on a single layer of pins being too thin – thatch roofs are usually thick and your technique looks good.  I disagree with the completely open hole at the top, I would have had a raised or layered level to keep the rain out.  Having a path for the smoke to leave the building is a good feature to have.

Prenmôr Forge - Staggered tiles roof
Looks great!  The uneven technique gives a realistic and imperfect look.  My favorite part is the sideways 1x2 tiles that fill in the half-stud offset to every other row.  My only complaint is the top row is more even than the rest.  But I cannot be critical, since I recently tried a similar technique and had the same issue.  I’d be curios. if other have a technique to avoid this.

Early Spring in Prenmôr - Half-timbered Tudor
I like the subtle inset using what I call the ‘tiled tudor’ technique.  The seam between the titles is my only gripe with this technique.

Secret Meeting Room and the Rego's Mansion - SNOT tiled
The beautiful stairway steals the show!  In both MOCs, the tiled (interior) walls disappear into the background.  You have to look closely to appreciate it.  I’d say that means you achieved your goal.  Well done.

The Pool (Curved corners) tower walls
I like the lighting of the MOC.  I’d like the curved corners better if you could have continued the arches through.

Secret Meeting Room - Interior hex curve
I would not consider this ‘round’ but the angles are nice and fit well.

Landscape

On the Lamb - Large tree
The 45° roots work well.  I agree the leaves could have been fuller, but they are almost too high to even be in the MOC as the focus in at the road, what you have is enough for the scene. Good job on the twigs and branches coming out of the tree, they look natural.  I personally do not like the studs-out approach, but I’m not sure tiles wouldn’t be worse; Henjin_Quilones’ comment echoes my thoughts.  Unrelated to the tree, I really like the wall and the duplo lamb is fun.

Fishery and Shrine -On the Lamb Studs up grey rocks/cliffs;
I like the technique in ‘On the Lamb’ much better (at least from the ‘studs up’ perspective).  I have not seen this technique before and it is instantly recognizable.  I’ll have to keep this in mind and find a way to incorporate it into a future build.  Rock in the Fishery and Shrine is very chaotic, which matches the seagulls!  I like the stone and I like the dirt (clay), but do not like how they sit next to each other, especially with the waves lapping against them (which looks excellent) – I would have expected more dirt to have washed away than the stone.

sideways rocks (studs horizontal) Fishery and Shrine
Ah, this MOC fits the sideways criteria better!  I do like the clay cliffs – especially how you transitions from the grasses on top at the edge (only the few green bricks on the left-top work against the look).

Hydrology

The Cedar Serpent - wake; Fishery and Shrine - Waves
As I said above, the waves look excellent in the Fishery and Shrine build.  They are not too obtrusive nor too subtle.  Good job with the dark tan ‘sand’ on the beach too.  The wake around the Cedar Serpent looks good, but I do not like how it transitions to normal, opaque dark blue brick/plate.  Having more trans-clear bricks and tile across the whole surface might look more natural.

General Building

interior design: Lady Gwenllian's HouseSecret Meeting RoomThe Golden Goblet
Each of these interiors is exquisite and since the requirements are so open, I don’t have anything specific to comment on, so I’ll list what I like.  For Lady Gwenllian’s house, everything feels like it belongs – you nailed the overall look!  For Secret Meeting Room, the full bookcases give substance to the room and the rolled up scrolls and other memorabilia are fantastic.  For the Golden Goblet, The sand green, dark green against the reddish brown woodwork are a great use of color; the plate-built tables fit in well too.

forced perspective: Ambassador Gisela
This one is ok, but I’d appreciate a more detailed micro-scale object in the background.

microscale: Scouting a Site
I like the MOC, the ship does a good job setting the scale.  The rock and wave techniques fit well; I like the hint of beach that comes through under the trans-black water tiles.  The dark ocean certainly gives the proper feeling of depth.  Taking out the water and the boat, there is nothing left to indicate this is a micro build – but taking the MOC as a whole, everything works well.

lighted builds Fish Fryday
Great camp fire.  I’ve been meaning to do a survey of camp fire techniques – I’ve never been satisfied when I try to do one.

Military Science

battle scene: The Pig Pen
When I think of military and battle, I imagine many people fighting, not just two.  And battling with pigs around doesn’t seem like a military battle (and the shields are the same heraldry).  Ignoring the category, I do like the MOC.  It seems like two acquaintances are having an impromptu duel after insults have been hurled.  The grading of color from dark tan to the dark brown (and trans-black) of the mudhole was used to great effect.

fortifications: PalisadeCastle Palisade
Love the Palisade (minifigure scale) build.  Having the fence be visible into the ground cutaway (edge of the MOC) is accurate and the trench really gives a height and space to this otherwise small (vignette) MOC.  Regarding the “Castle Palisade” MOC, it looks good.  I don’t have too much to say, but I do like the loose brick at the base of the wall.

Agriculture and Zoology

fishing Fishery and Shrine
Again, I like the MOC – the seagulls certainly add excitement!  The nets and hanging the fish up (to dry?) looks good – and fighting off the greedy seagulls seems realistic.

life in Avalonia Fishery and ShrinePrenmôr QuarryHighway from Hell
I don’t have anything to add to the fishery MOC.  The Quarry MOC is a bit small, but has important details of the mining, chiseling as well as carting off the stone.  In Highway from Hell, there are many fun interactions between the minifigures – I’m glad you highlighted them in your pictures.

Agriculture

mountains or cliffs Fishery and Shrine
The rules say MOCs can be in at most four (4) categories.  I would certainly take this MOC out of the “studs up rocks and cliff” category and it is not needed for the “Life in Avalonia” section, as you have two other MOCs there.  But these two Agricultural credits would put it in its 5th and 6th categories.  I’ll leave the final decision to you and/or the rules committee – the rest of my comments will ignore this.

I’d say this MOC meets the minimum of mountains/cliffs as they are not too high.  But the MOC is already a decent size, so I’m not sure how best to fulfil this category without a fairly large MOC (and if that is required, that is fine, but I’d say this MOC does not fit).

oceanside or river scene Fishery and Shrine
This is a great oceanside scene – a perfect match to the category.

Culture

Music: Highway from Hell
I don’t have anything to add about the MOC, but this certainly fits the ‘music’ category

10 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I'll give it a few more days to see if a couple others would like to grade.  Not much point in opening it up if we don't have at least 4 willing graders. :laugh:

@Grover am I right that you haven't gotten credit approval for any of the builds on your list?  If so, let me know and I'll run through them all and make a one-time post here giving you +1 for each credit.

Thanks!

I wasn't really sure what MOCs fit best into what categories or if things fit into categories, so I just put them where I could.  I also forgot some, so I'll go and add those.  I can simply delete the ones that aren't the best at filling each category.

6 hours ago, jtooker said:

@Kai NRG, this is my one-time post for these credits (I myself am a willing grader in Kaliphlin).  I can put it elsewhere if that would be better.

@Grover, I approve of all credits, except the Military Battle Scene and see my notes about the “Fishery and Shrine” MOC being in too many categories. In general, I like how thoroughly you have thought through and represented the real-world needs and situations that these buildings, people and objects inhabit.

Architecture

Early Spring in Prenmôr - Technic pin roof
I agree on a single layer of pins being too thin – thatch roofs are usually thick and your technique looks good.  I disagree with the completely open hole at the top, I would have had a raised or layered level to keep the rain out.  Having a path for the smoke to leave the building is a good feature to have.

Prenmôr Forge - Staggered tiles roof
Looks great!  The uneven technique gives a realistic and imperfect look.  My favorite part is the sideways 1x2 tiles that fill in the half-stud offset to every other row.  My only complaint is the top row is more even than the rest.  But I cannot be critical, since I recently tried a similar technique and had the same issue.  I’d be curios. if other have a technique to avoid this.

Early Spring in Prenmôr - Half-timbered Tudor
I like the subtle inset using what I call the ‘tiled tudor’ technique.  The seam between the titles is my only gripe with this technique.

Secret Meeting Room and the Rego's Mansion - SNOT tiled
The beautiful stairway steals the show!  In both MOCs, the tiled (interior) walls disappear into the background.  You have to look closely to appreciate it.  I’d say that means you achieved your goal.  Well done.

The Pool (Curved corners) tower walls
I like the lighting of the MOC.  I’d like the curved corners better if you could have continued the arches through.

Secret Meeting Room - Interior hex curve
I would not consider this ‘round’ but the angles are nice and fit well.

Landscape

On the Lamb - Large tree
The 45° roots work well.  I agree the leaves could have been fuller, but they are almost too high to even be in the MOC as the focus in at the road, what you have is enough for the scene. Good job on the twigs and branches coming out of the tree, they look natural.  I personally do not like the studs-out approach, but I’m not sure tiles wouldn’t be worse; Henjin_Quilones’ comment echoes my thoughts.  Unrelated to the tree, I really like the wall and the duplo lamb is fun.

Fishery and Shrine -On the Lamb Studs up grey rocks/cliffs;
I like the technique in ‘On the Lamb’ much better (at least from the ‘studs up’ perspective).  I have not seen this technique before and it is instantly recognizable.  I’ll have to keep this in mind and find a way to incorporate it into a future build.  Rock in the Fishery and Shrine is very chaotic, which matches the seagulls!  I like the stone and I like the dirt (clay), but do not like how they sit next to each other, especially with the waves lapping against them (which looks excellent) – I would have expected more dirt to have washed away than the stone.

sideways rocks (studs horizontal) Fishery and Shrine
Ah, this MOC fits the sideways criteria better!  I do like the clay cliffs – especially how you transitions from the grasses on top at the edge (only the few green bricks on the left-top work against the look).

Hydrology

The Cedar Serpent - wake; Fishery and Shrine - Waves
As I said above, the waves look excellent in the Fishery and Shrine build.  They are not too obtrusive nor too subtle.  Good job with the dark tan ‘sand’ on the beach too.  The wake around the Cedar Serpent looks good, but I do not like how it transitions to normal, opaque dark blue brick/plate.  Having more trans-clear bricks and tile across the whole surface might look more natural.

General Building

interior design: Lady Gwenllian's HouseSecret Meeting RoomThe Golden Goblet
Each of these interiors is exquisite and since the requirements are so open, I don’t have anything specific to comment on, so I’ll list what I like.  For Lady Gwenllian’s house, everything feels like it belongs – you nailed the overall look!  For Secret Meeting Room, the full bookcases give substance to the room and the rolled up scrolls and other memorabilia are fantastic.  For the Golden Goblet, The sand green, dark green against the reddish brown woodwork are a great use of color; the plate-built tables fit in well too.

forced perspective: Ambassador Gisela
This one is ok, but I’d appreciate a more detailed micro-scale object in the background.

microscale: Scouting a Site
I like the MOC, the ship does a good job setting the scale.  The rock and wave techniques fit well; I like the hint of beach that comes through under the trans-black water tiles.  The dark ocean certainly gives the proper feeling of depth.  Taking out the water and the boat, there is nothing left to indicate this is a micro build – but taking the MOC as a whole, everything works well.

lighted builds Fish Fryday
Great camp fire.  I’ve been meaning to do a survey of camp fire techniques – I’ve never been satisfied when I try to do one.

Military Science

battle scene: The Pig Pen
When I think of military and battle, I imagine many people fighting, not just two.  And battling with pigs around doesn’t seem like a military battle (and the shields are the same heraldry).  Ignoring the category, I do like the MOC.  It seems like two acquaintances are having an impromptu duel after insults have been hurled.  The grading of color from dark tan to the dark brown (and trans-black) of the mudhole was used to great effect.

fortifications: PalisadeCastle Palisade
Love the Palisade (minifigure scale) build.  Having the fence be visible into the ground cutaway (edge of the MOC) is accurate and the trench really gives a height and space to this otherwise small (vignette) MOC.  Regarding the “Castle Palisade” MOC, it looks good.  I don’t have too much to say, but I do like the loose brick at the base of the wall.

Agriculture and Zoology

fishing Fishery and Shrine
Again, I like the MOC – the seagulls certainly add excitement!  The nets and hanging the fish up (to dry?) looks good – and fighting off the greedy seagulls seems realistic.

life in Avalonia Fishery and ShrinePrenmôr QuarryHighway from Hell
I don’t have anything to add to the fishery MOC.  The Quarry MOC is a bit small, but has important details of the mining, chiseling as well as carting off the stone.  In Highway from Hell, there are many fun interactions between the minifigures – I’m glad you highlighted them in your pictures.

Agriculture

mountains or cliffs Fishery and Shrine
The rules say MOCs can be in at most four (4) categories.  I would certainly take this MOC out of the “studs up rocks and cliff” category and it is not needed for the “Life in Avalonia” section, as you have two other MOCs there.  But these two Agricultural credits would put it in its 5th and 6th categories.  I’ll leave the final decision to you and/or the rules committee – the rest of my comments will ignore this.

I’d say this MOC meets the minimum of mountains/cliffs as they are not too high.  But the MOC is already a decent size, so I’m not sure how best to fulfil this category without a fairly large MOC (and if that is required, that is fine, but I’d say this MOC does not fit).

oceanside or river scene Fishery and Shrine
This is a great oceanside scene – a perfect match to the category.

Culture

Music: Highway from Hell
I don’t have anything to add about the MOC, but this certainly fits the ‘music’ category

Thanks for your comments!  Interestingly, although I agree with you that the open hole at the top of the straw roof looks weird, it is how many of the old cruck houses were built, especially when they were temporary housing like this is supposed to be.  I usually do my research in making these as historically accurate as I can (fantasy elements and joke anachronisms notwithstanding). 

I pretty much threw the Fishery into every category it fit and figured I'd delete the ones it didn't fit well later.  I think that the SNOT cliffs fits it better, too.

The Pig Pen comes from two warriors practicing so they have the same heraldry and are practicing in a pig pen.  Of course, I forgot my best battle scene (with bear cavalry!), from the middle of the Enlightened.  I also included a smaller one from Downfall of the Rego

The Cedar Serpent was a MOC I built in the middle of a move so I was very limited on what parts I could get to.  I would definitely build it differently now.  I thought about putting the fountain in the Pool and the Downfall of the Rego in as flowing water, but I interpreted the category as more natural and not artificial water features, so skipped it.

I should probably add posing of the minifigures to the Highway from Hell build.  I've added two of my humorous builds with joke anachronisms as well. :laugh:

I'm sure I have more builds to fit these categories, but I keep forgetting about bits here and there.  I'll keep adding as I have time!

You know you actually only need one build per certification, unless I've forgotten everything. :laugh:  Sometimes you list three or four.

Anyway, I can't match jtooker for his thoughtful comments on each one.  But +1 for everything except FP, I'm not really seeing that on your Ambasador Gisela shot - just a blurred sky background, which is only FP very loosely.

I would also say the one-on-one fight in the Pig Pen is not really a battle scene.  But your one in the pool build kills it, of course!

And Fishery and Shrine definitely seems to be in too many places but it does fit in all of them, so just shave it down to four (it's four right?  boy has it been a long time) and that'll be good!

Oh, and if you ask for any more credits for a old builds, you'll have to let me know specifically because I'll be sure to miss it if you just edit the post. :wink: 

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

You know you actually only need one build per certification, unless I've forgotten everything. :laugh:  Sometimes you list three or four.

Taken care of.  I cut back to one, or put extras in parenthesis.

But +1 for everything except FP, I'm not really seeing that on your Ambasador Gisela shot - just a blurred sky background, which is only FP very loosely.

Removed.  It's only barely forced perspective anyway based on the clouds.  I'll build something else later.

And Fishery and Shrine definitely seems to be in too many places but it does fit in all of them, so just shave it down to four (it's four right?  boy has it been a long time) and that'll be good!

Cut back to the four most useful in the categories.

Oh, and if you ask for any more credits for a old builds, you'll have to let me know specifically because I'll be sure to miss it if you just edit the post. :wink: 

Will do!  I'll link them here actually.  I may have some time over the holidays to look through my previous builds and see if anything else I have fits categories so far untouched.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Grover said:

barely forced perspective anyway based on the clouds

Exactly.  It doesn't take a lot of FP mastery to do clouds. :laugh:

I submit the following MOC for two credits:

• Agriculture and Zoology → brick-built animals
  • Landscape Design → Flowers and dense Foliage

I submit the following MOC(s) for credits:

• Trees → Style 2 (arches + limb elements)
  • Architecture → Roofing Style 1 (half-pressed tiles)
  • General Building → Interior Design
  • Trade and Law → Manufacturing

The three MOCs are under one post:

I submit the following MOCs for credit:

• Architecture → Roofing Style 2 (thatched)

----------------

• Architecture → Roofing Style 3 (Sideway, Alternating Cheese Slopes)
  • Architecture → Roof rakes
  • Architecture → Advanced windows and window frames

Edited by jtooker
Added vampire hunter to avoid post-spam

I submit this MOC for the following two credits:

• Architecture → Walls Style 2 (Wooden Walls)
  • Agriculture and Zoology → Raising Livestock

I submit this MOC for the following credits:

• Anthropology → Travel Scene
  • Military Science → Fortifications
  • Hydrology → Still Water
  • Hydrology → Flowing Water

• Architecture → Advanced SNOT
  • Culture  (other/cultural practice)

• Geography → Desert
  • History → Event 1