Wellesley

Third rate 74 gun ship of the line

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150321535@N08/albums

Hi everybody,

when I started to build a lego ship in summer 2012 the plan actually was to come up with a fourth rate ship of the line around 50 or 64 guns. But it became bigger and I added four guns per gun deck (two each side). So now I have a broadside with 28 guns on the gun decks and 9 guns on the main deck. That makes a 74 gun ship of the line. Not counted were two guns astern and 6 carronades (thanks to Admiral Bejaune for the design) on the poop deck.

When it comes to the rigging I first wanted to use the classic Lego prefab ship masts from the old pirate sets. But the ship is too big to use them. I will use brick built masts, but it will last a bit I can show you pictures because I first have to buy round bricks. I hope Dread Pirate Wesley and Imperial Shipyards have nothing against me inspecting the riggings they used on their ships. Sometimes Its better to use wonderful details which allready were built than have to come up with new ones.

Now I reached the point of not having any bricks I could use for my project so finally I have to buy some. Do you guys know a good online brick source where i can buy masses of similar bricks?

If you are interested in the earlier progress here you go with the link of the old thread: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=71980

Also my brickshelf folder, which doesn't contain all pictures because its new and I still have problems with uploading .zip folders and I'm just bored of doing it one by one: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=527858

Wellesley!

Just a copy of the last post of the old progress thread:

Damn it, nearly all my photos are deleted by now.

Using a brickshelf account from now on to show you the updates.

• I changed the number of gun ports per continuous gun deck per side from 13 to 14
  • New gratings
  • improved cabins, doesn't look too thick anymore and the ship gained more stability

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=527858

img_1280.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1281.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1282.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1283.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1284.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1285.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1286.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1287.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1288.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1289.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1290.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1291.jpg_thumb.jpg

Wellesley

Here the latest pictures:

bird-view-1.jpg_thumb.jpgbird-view-2.jpg_thumb.jpgbird-view-3.jpg_thumb.jpgbow-view-1.jpg_thumb.jpgbow-view-2.jpg_thumb.jpgbow-view-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

bow-view-4.jpg_thumb.jpgbow-view-5.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside-1.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside-2.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside-3.jpg_thumb.jpgforesails.jpg_thumb.jpg

gaff-sail.jpg_thumb.jpgport-side.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-1.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-2.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-3.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-4.jpg_thumb.jpg

scenery-5.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-6.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-7.jpg_thumb.jpgscenery-8.jpg_thumb.jpgstarbord-low-angle.jpg_thumb.jpgstarbord-side-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

starbord-side-2.jpg_thumb.jpgstern-view.jpg_thumb.jpgstern.jpg_thumb.jpgstreamer.jpg_thumb.jpg

battle.jpg_thumb.jpgbowlw.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside_painting.jpg_thumb.jpggaff-sail.jpg_thumb.jpgstorm_1.jpg_thumb.jpgstorm_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wellesley

Hi Wellesly,

Looking good so far! :pir-sweet:

If you are looking to buy Lego parts you will find BrickLink very usefull:

http://www.bricklink.com/

It's an online, worldwide marketplace where hundreds of sellers and buyers trade their Lego. The nice thing about it is that both buyer and seller have to review each other once the transaction is complete. This gives new people (especially buyers) a good insight in where to buy the stuff they need. I have placed about 30 or 40 orders last 2 years and it all went well.

Greetz,

Swan Dutchman

How massive is massive amount of similar bricks? Are you a member of a LUG that participates in LUGBULK? Are parts available on Lego Shop@Home Pick A Brick? Bricklink is also another source. Depending on your quantity, you may have to use more than one seller. That can add to shipping and handling costs.

Finally I got enough time to upload some photos, showing you the current status of my 74 gun lego ship of the line. I'll probably name her "HMS Bulwark", according to her 2 bricks thick hull.

Only the rigging is left, which is just a question of new bricks I will have to order.

And of course: canons, still need 24 of the old grey canons with brown gun carriage.

It's not historically accurate. I wanted two build a lego ship and started building a two gun decks vessel out of my mind. The longer it just stood around without any progress because of missing bricks, I had more time coming up with new ideas and looking at some plans and other ships here in the forum. So it grew from a 44 gun frigate up to a 74 gun ship. The Lego masts were too low, so I had to build my own.

The ship is around 92 cm long (125 cm with bowsprit) and 93 cm high (80 cm between the top of the mizzen mast and the main deck)

Even though the stern is a little bit too wide and heavy and the astern parts are maybe a bit too high, I like her in this shape and for now there are no more plans to change something. Maybe one of you have some ideas or see something, that just doesn't fit into the overall picture at all.

So now, here some new pictures (and some more in my brickshelf):

img_1576.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1573.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1561.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1571.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1584.jpg_thumb.jpg

Greetings

Wellesley

Edited by Wellesley

Hard to see your MOC in progress and comment WELLESLEY - the images are a bit too small on this page and the image folder not yet public.

I second Swan Dutchman with recommending Bricklink - I've spent some notable $$$ there over the past 6 months for MOCs and set refurbishment - I have personally never had a really bad experience (touch wood, one order still en route :) ). Every seller I have dealt with has been top notch with filling of orders and packing of parts, worldwide. Unfortunately, with large MOCs or hard to find pieces, shipping can be a bit of a killer, so it is best to shop around and find the majority of the parts you want at a store with a reasonable overall price.

Free tools that can help with Bricklinking are:

LDD Manager if you have the pieces planned in LDD.

Brickficiency is useful for looking at Bricklink wanted lists and scanning the database for the cheapest combinations of required parts. Bricklink also has some of it's own wanted list tools for this.

My Brickshelf is now public again!

For the canons I will probably have to check ebay from time to time.

Edited by Wellesley

Hi there,

first off, I find it good news you are still working on this ship, thought it was to become another abandoned project. So thumbs up!

That being said, I think you should rework the bow. I know, you don't really want to, but a smoother bow could really give her a much nicer face. And if I'm not mistaken, you've already incorporated some hinge plates, so why not use them (and more) to form something à la this forum's standard way of bow shaping, it works well on all kinds of ship types (ranging from Brigs to First Rates), and it's relatively uncomplicated to build. And I'd add some head rails, for example by - again - using hinge plates (like on Persephone).

Apart from that, she's looking quite alright, a little rough, but using jumper plates to shape the tumblehome isn't the worst idea pirate_wink.gif So I think she'll be a fine ship, looking forward to further updates.

Keep it up!

@Kolonialbeamter: Oh yeah the head rails^^ totally forgot to mention, that I'm still looking for more ideas. This is a hard task, because I wanted to keep it more the old Lego style. But maybe I will try to work with hinges again. I really like the one of the Persephone.

I think the bow works like that. But you are right. From a few angles it really looks angular. Thats probably because the yellow stripe, which is just straight in the bow part. So I will first try to change the stripe to get a way more curvier shape.

Thanks for the critics, nearly forgot about the head rails at all:P

Edit: Just looked at her and suddenly had an idea how to make her stern a little bit lower and thiner.

So there hopefully will be more updates soon.

Wellesley

Edited by Wellesley

Just a few changes, but here are some more photos. The headrails are finished, too. I just forgot to take a picture of the bow, will follow soon. Maybe then together with some updates on the rigging. Lack of motivation during the finale phase.

p1030804.jpg_thumb.jpgp1030806.jpg_thumb.jpgp1030811.jpg_thumb.jpgp1030812.jpg_thumb.jpgp1030813.jpg_thumb.jpg

She is very impressive Wellesley! I like the detail you've included in the interior and on the deck. It's cool to see you have the chains and blocks on your rigging too! I was skeptical at first of the way that your tumpblehome was made, but in the picture down her broadside it looks quite good. I am curious if the bow will get an update as I think after that you will have quite the extraordinary vessel.

I think we all want to see your vessel finished, we need more great ships here! So you better get working, sailor! pirate_wink.gif

Best of luck and lots of motivation to you!

Thank you both. The thumblehome was, with which I started years ago. So I never worried about that part, because it was like motivator, the centre my whole project was based on. It all started with these pics.

curve.jpg_thumb.jpgcurve_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

The only problem was to get a round shape towards the bow and the stern. Maybe I'll rework the bow some day.

So here now are a few pics, showing the headrails, the top light and an anchor.

img_1596.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1597.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1598.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1599.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1600.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1601.jpg_thumb.jpg

img_1602.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1603.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1604.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1605.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1609.jpg_thumb.jpgimg_1610.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hope they will be public soon.

Greetings,

Wellesley!

Edited by Wellesley

A really ambitious project - looks great so far.

(pity the latest brickshelf additions are not yet public pirate_sceptic.gif )

Brick on!

Lack of motivation during the finale phase.

I hope you don't lose your motivation now, but I perfectly understand. All of my ships are being done quickly when it comes to hull and lower decks. Masts and rigging are cumbersome.

Bows are terrible, sterns only work out sometimes pirate_laugh2.gif

You're much more advanced - so keep going!!! pirate_classic.gif

Looks very impressive,I finally must try to build something like yours project :pir-classic:, you already built a lot, so keep it on

Finally some more pictures. I'll probably have time enough to make some big progress when I'm at home again between Christmas and New Year.

So here now a few pics. More new ones are in my brickshelf.

20141214_160952.jpg_thumb.jpgrigging3.jpg_thumb.jpgrigging4.jpg_thumb.jpgrigging1.jpg_thumb.jpg

headrails1.jpg_thumb.jpgheadrails2.jpg_thumb.jpg

I finished the design of my sea soldiers, too.

britishsoldier3.jpg_thumb.jpgbritishsoldier1.jpg_thumb.jpg

And because I had no shakos but bluecoat torsos left, I tried a new helmet design, which fits well with the french infantries I think.

frenchsoldiers.jpg_thumb.jpg

Again I have to excuse myself for not rotating the pictures before zipping.

Wish you all a "hyggelig" Christmas or Hanukkah!

Wellesley

Hi everybody.

Some changes. Now I use a chain as bobstay and the quarter deck is a bit longer astern and covers the steering wheel. The stern looks more simple, just left the lanterns. I started rigging the yards (will add stunsails later) and the gaff.

20141221_001612.jpg_thumb.jpg20141221_001534.jpg_thumb.jpg20141221_001555.jpg_thumb.jpg20141221_001602.jpg_thumb.jpg20141221_153352.jpg_thumb.jpg20141221_153420.jpg_thumb.jpg

More pictures in my brickshelf.

Greetings,

Wellesley!

Happy new year! (which actually could be any time in the year and the modern day ritual is awful.

Anyways... I managed to make some huge progress during the past days. I started with the sails and I'm satisfied with the results.

I reworked the fences on the maindeck and added a cabinet and an armoire to the cabine's interior.

anchors1.jpg_thumb.jpgbow1.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside1.jpg_thumb.jpgbroadside3.jpg_thumb.jpgforesails1.jpg_thumb.jpg

interior3.jpg_thumb.jpginterior7.jpg_thumb.jpgmaindeck1.jpg_thumb.jpgmaindeck3.jpg_thumb.jpgmaindeck4.jpg_thumb.jpg

quarterdeck1.jpg_thumb.jpgsideview1.jpg_thumb.jpgsquaresails4.jpg_thumb.jpgstern1.jpg_thumb.jpgsternview2.jpg_thumb.jpg

There are more pictures in my brickshelf folder!

Greetings Wellesley

Just a quick update:

I named her "BULWARK" because of the thick hull.

The flags are cool, but are you sure on "BULWARK"?

It is a mighty ship it should go by something like "Invincible" or so! pirate_classic.gif

Well, thats funny.

I didn't come up with a new name yet.

But for some ideas I looked up the royal navy's list of ship of the lines between 1785 and 1830. And there is not only a Bulwark class, it's a 74 gun ship of the line class as well. :)

Anyways. Some Ideas?

Not sure, if I would choose "Invincible", probably a lot of vessels with that name.

Maybe "Unbrickable" instead of "Unsinkable".

Wellesley

Edited by Wellesley

You most certainly made a huge amount of progress on this build Wellesley. I think she is looking nice all over from her stern to her new sails. I look forward to seeing the final product.

This is a very impressive ship Sir! pirate_classic.gif

You have really put a lot of time and effort into it and so far she looks like a fine vessel! I love the colour scheme and way to go for doing string rigging + custom sails.

Sir Valiant~