Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

Brickfest PDX 07 - Pirate Pictures and information!!!

Here are some pirate pictures from BrickFest '07!

jh.jpg

jg.jpg

^ I think we've seen this MOC here at EB before...

These are pretty good :-) .

DISCUS!

Folder

I think we've seen a couple of the MOCs at Eurobricks before.

What additional information do wehave about Brickfest 2007? And why is this thread's title entirely written in capital letters?

Yup, we've seen these. That Islander mountain has it's own thread as does that yellow lighthouse. Those are really the highlights of the display, as most others are official ships.

Not entirely X-D . I don't know much about BrickFest o7 because it's taking place now and I have no info on it.

If you want to de-capitalize the title you may.

That port is quite nice. I wonder if the tuba is a real lego piece?

Croppped pictures for viewing pleasure.

Hmm......how could we find out the details of this Brickfest......perhaps Brickfest.com? Brilliant! ;-)

I meant information specifically relating to the MOCs we see at the top of the thread, like who built them for example. That website doesn't seem to provide that information.

We've seen most them before too, so that must be an indication very few are building new creations. Maybe the users of this Pirate forum should ban together and so something about that for Brickfest 2008...

That port is quite nice. I wonder if the tuba is a real lego piece?

The Tuba is a Fabuland peice.

Maybe we should PM Frank Filz, I'm sure he'll have some good answers for us.

(He built the yellow lighthouse inspired by my port)

We have a thread for that lighthouse somewhere but I can't remember if we invited Mr Filz to discuss it with us.

He'd be good to have on board because we could ask him more about Brickfest and that would help us develop a strategy to get more Pirate MOCs in future Brickfests.

Mr. Filz found his own way to the thread located here. He last visited Eurobricks three or four days ago so seems like we could attract him here to this thread with a PM. I haven't done so yet, so feel free to do so yourself, oh noble Lord Admiral.

Yes, that's the thread I had in mind and he did indeed join us. I don't usually PM users about participating in threads unless its really important or its their own thread. Someone else always seems to do it instead.

In a sence this is his thread, as it's his MOC. I'll PM him.

Do you ever read the threads you post in, Mr. Cole? Read every post, then come back and ask your questions.

What's Brickfeast?

Its Brickfest, not feast. They don't congrugate and eat bricks together!

In a sence this is his thread, as it's his MOC. I'll PM him.

Good idea. We've already got threads to both these MOCs so unless someone can provide additional information about the other Pirate MOCs at Brickfest 2007 then this thread won't go very far.

What additional information do wehave about Brickfest 2007?

That there is no Brickfest 2007 this year, only Brickfest PDX 07 ;-)

Hi, been a bit busy to post here...

Indeed, the Pirate display has (almost) no new MOCs. As noted, we have discussed the light house before and I was involved in that discussion. I hadn't realized the island had also been discussed, that was built by Thomas and Kristin Rafert from Seattle Washington.

A last minute decision was made Thursday morning to include all the official pirate ships (perhaps at a future fest, we'll have a Pirate Sail In simular to the Space Fly In and have all the official sets).

There is one large custom pirate ship that is new (or at least I had not seen it before). Also, I included most of my cutsom ships (including my Red Seas Barracuda which is a color variant of the Black Seas Barracuda with a few modifications - another cannon, the foremast moved to line up with the bracing correctly, and a couple more minor changes).

Frank

Thank you for taking the time to post Frank.

While I live too far away to participate in Brickfest events there are users at Eurobricks who may be able to, so as an insider what information or advice could you provide for someone interested in submitting a Pirate MOC?

Two useful resources would be the FAQ and How to get Invovled page of the Brickfest website, but there's nothing better than getting information from an inside source.

That there is no Brickfest 2007 this year, only Brickfest PDX 07 ;-)

What's the PDX stand for?

Thank you for taking the time to post Frank.

While I live too far away to participate in Brickfest events there are users at Eurobricks who may be able to, so as an insider what information or advice could you provide for someone interested in submitting a Pirate MOC?

The easiest way to submit a MOC is to show up at BrickFest (or for that matter any of the other US brick conventions) with your MOC in hand. It's helpful if you contact the area coordinator ahead of time and/or use the MOC registration form on the website, especially if your MOC is large (though in this case we just had a general plan and ended up deciding at the last minute how to actually merge everything).

Two useful resources would be the FAQ and How to get Invovled page of the Brickfest website, but there's nothing better than getting information from an inside source.

What's the PDX stand for?

PDX is Portland Oregon's three letter airport code. It's frequently used by Portlanders (especially geeky ones) to refer to their city (lots of e-mail lists and Yahoo groups and such are pdx-something). It's quicker to write and (to those in the know) differentiates from other Portland's in the world.

Frank

I think ZCerberus's Port Brighton would be a fantastic addition to a Brickfest.

It would be really tough for Z to get his moc to Brickfest in Portland :S

It's about 1700 miles or about 2500 km from Minnesota.

It's about the same distance for me too. It would be nice to know if there are any brick conventions in the midwest. :-$

P

Yes, I was thinking distance might be a problem, but on the other hand you're both a lot closer than I am X-D Not that I have any MOCs worthy of presenting at a Brickfest.

But I thought I'd put forward the idea anyway... Just on the remote chance he loved the idea so much he'd do anything to make it happen.

It's about the same distance for me too. It would be nice to know if there are any brick conventions in the midwest. :-$

There is Brick World in Chicago, much more reasonable to drive to from Minnesota.

Frank

P

good call Phred... yeah it is only half way across the country, and since the US is what, like the 3 or 4 the largest country in the world by land mass, it is a bit of a drive (though I suppose Alaska skews those numbers a bit). Still, Portland is very far away, it would be a 20 some hour drive!

Chicago is much closer, but it would still be a pain because I would have to drive 180 miles in the wrong direction to get the MOCs, and then another 7 or so back to Chicago again!! I suppose if I got Phred along the way it wouldn't be as terrible!

There is Brick World in Chicago, much more reasonable to drive to from Minnesota.

So exactly what is Brick World? Is this something you participate in as well?