fred67

Historic CMF Individuals.

So now that we series 12 will include a Lincoln figure (we can debate as to why... and I don't know why I want one, but I do - maybe two or three. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter MOC anyone?), I mused in the CMF Series 12 thread about other possible figures.

It could be argued that we've already gotten some - Cleopatra and Ceaser, for two, but even though I think they might specifically be those people, they weren't officially called that, and they could very well be considered in a more generic way, and you could make a an ancient Roman MOC with that figure and easily call him someone else... could be Ceaser, could be Nero, could be anyone; or a an ancient Egyptian MOC with the Pharaoh, mummy, and Egyptian woman and just call her the "Queen."

But with Lincoln, we're getting down to truly specific, instantly recognizable individuals. I wouldn't mind seeing an American history sub-theme to CMFs, but know that wouldn't really go over well. Moreover, I can only think of two other instantly recognizable figures: Washington and Benjamin Franklin (especially if given a kite as an accessory). There are other worthy people - like Thomas Jefferson, but I think such a figure would come off as too generic, and he'd just be an early American aristocrat.

But I got to thinking about what other historical figures that, not just being cool to have in LEGO, but would be instantly recognizable for who they were, even if needing a little context (like Franklin's kite).

So what do you think? Again, this isn't supposed to be a thread about the viability of singling out specific individuals as CMFs, just a discussion about which ones you'd think would work.

Since it's "historic," I'd limit it to figures from history prior to 1950. Being American I may not know how iconic some of the other historic personalities are from around the world, so now's your chance to educate me.

Again, I'm not saying they should make these, but I'm just wondering who would be instantly recognizable as the individual they are.

So my list is:

George Washington

Benjamin Franklin

Adolf Hitler

I would love to say people like "Geronimo," or King Henry VIII, but I think those figures would come off as too generic. I could take any King figure and call it King Henry, or the Tribal Chieftain and call him "Geronimo." Others I would think are cool would include Ghandi, Attila the Hun, Alexander the Great... but I don't think those figures would be instantly recognizable as who they are.

They have pretty unequivocally said no religious figures. At least none from modern religions. So no Jesus, Moses, Mohamed, Budda etc. I wouldn't rule out a Medieval Friar to hang with the Forrestmen. But I think that's about the best we might ever get.

I don't think they would make these, but I agree so far, except Queen Victoria - I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a queen lineup.

Gandhi

Stalin

Einstein

Elvis

Churchhill

FDR

Mother Theresa

To be honest, I think the only reason there are any actual historical figures in this set is because of the movie tie-in. It was Shakespeare and Abe Lincoln in the movie, and not "thespian" or "mid-19th century American politician". I'm pretty sure that, going forward, the CMFs will likely be along the lines of Roman Emperor, Thespian, Sax Player, and others that are clearly modeled after real, recognizable, people without actually "being" them.

It is interesting to see who people think would be 'instantly recognisable' I wouldn't be able to pick Franklin, Washington or FDR out of a line up of photos so I can't imagine that a minifig of them would be any more recognisable, however I can see Henry VIII & Queen Victoria both being recognisable as they had very distinctive styles that are well documented.

I guess the issue with something like this is, what is recognisable to one person may not be to someone else.

D

We've already kind of got George Washington with the Revolutionary Solder from Series 10. He looks an awful lot like ol' G. Dub. to me...

Steve

There should definitely be an Elvis figure (white jump suit) and Albert Einstein.

However, although I really like Lincoln and Shakespeare from the Movie CMFs I prefer the figures to be quite generic (see my rant regarding name badges on CMFs in other threads if you don't believe me!). I'd actually like a wider range of town-friendly folk suitable for summer and winter and a good selection of accessories.

Hey... thanks for the posts. As I mentioned, I wouldn't say these figures are eficable or do-able, just wondering what people around the world felt would be recognizable individuals. I would never suggest they make a Hitler figure! Just that he'd be recognizable.

Napoleon, Jesus, queen Victoria

I think Napolean would work! Thanks for that. I'm not sure that Jesus would come across as Jesus unless he had the thorny crown or something. I'm also not sure Queen Victoria would come across as anything but a Queen.

They have pretty unequivocally said no religious figures. At least none from modern religions. So no Jesus, Moses, Mohamed, Budda etc. I wouldn't rule out a Medieval Friar to hang with the Forrestmen. But I think that's about the best we might ever get.

Yes, but we're talking about who would be recognizable. Buddha is an interesting one. A friar would be cool (I would also like the protestant Pilgrims to the U.S.), but they are really generic, and there's already a thread for "missing" minifigures.

I don't think they would make these, but I agree so far, except Queen Victoria - I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a queen lineup.

Gandhi

Stalin

Einstein

Elvis

Churchhill

FDR

Mother Theresa

I thought maybe Gandhi... Elvis would work, but I was thinking earlier history, as I said... pre 1950, although that's a fairly arbitrary date, I suppose. Einstein would definjitely work.

Again, just wondering who, historically, would be recognizable as an individual.

I realize people from other countries might not get George Washington or Benjamin Franklin, that's partly why I thought this would be an interesting discussion. I wouldn't be able to tell Queen Victoria or Elizabeth from any other Queen minifigure, nor Henry the VIII, although a really fat king figure might help.

To be honest, I think the only reason there are any actual historical figures in this set is because of the movie tie-in. It was Shakespeare and Abe Lincoln in the movie, and not "thespian" or "mid-19th century American politician". I'm pretty sure that, going forward, the CMFs will likely be along the lines of Roman Emperor, Thespian, Sax Player, and others that are clearly modeled after real, recognizable, people without actually "being" them.

Well... Sax Player is fictional (Blues Brothers?) unless there is someone in particular you think he represents?

I'm not sure about the others... the Thespian, for example, might be a character from a Shakespeare play, but not Shakespeare himself (as evidenced by the new figure, no?) And who is the Roman Emperor? Ceaser or Nero or someone else? I'd add the Egyptian Queen was supposed to be Cleopatra, especially given the snake, but is it not possible to be Nefertari?

They've done a great job at making them ambiguous, which is great because it makes them more generic.... until Lincoln.

Edited by fred67

I did wonder if any of the musicians from the Lego Rock band computer game would ever be made... Not sure if he was even in it but think an Elton John with star glasses would be funny. Elvis is the most recognisable musician in the world though.

Historically, I suppose Genghis Khan could also be made generically...

Most recognisable historical people to me are from the UK and USA so Queen Vic, Elizabeth I, Henry VIII would all work well and how about a non-robotic Davy Crockett?

One big issue though is skin colour as possibly the world's most recognisable figure when I was a kid was Nelson Mandela.

Certain film stars perhaps... Charlie Chaplin, Bruce Lee, Marilyn Monroe, John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever would be fairly iconic

Well... Sax Player is fictional (Blues Brothers?) unless there is someone in particular you think he represents?

I'm not sure about the others... the Thespian, for example, might be a character from a Shakespeare play, but not Shakespeare himself (as evidenced by the new figure, no?) And who is the Roman Emperor? Ceaser or Nero or someone else? I'd add the Egyptian Queen was supposed to be Cleopatra, especially given the snake, but is it not possible to be Nefertari?

They've done a great job at making them ambiguous, which is great because it makes them more generic.... until Lincoln.

haha, yeah i was thinking blues brother. That one is obviously not real, and I misspoke. What i meant tho, is that it is an example of a minifig that is clearly based on something recognizably individual without actually naming them. But the rest is exactly what I'm saying: they're supposed to be ambiguous. The only reason that Abe and Shakespeare are not is because of their presumably named roles in the movie.

Right... and I'm not suggesting figures for TLG to make. I don't expect them to make individuals, especially having ones that gained their notoriety from being brutal homicidal maniacs.

I guess, if I could ask it more simply, is what people thought would be individuals that, given the simplicity of the figure in a minifigure form, would still be recognizable as the individual and not generically.

I realize some of them are culture centric, which makes it even more interesting to me to hear what people from around the world might come up with.

And who is the Roman Emperor? Ceaser or Nero or someone else?

The fig is obviously meant to evoke Julius Caesar, judging by his quote „Veni, vidi, vici.“ on the parchment tile – though if you choose to interpret it as Nero or some other guy reading Caesar's qoutes, whos to stop you?

I, for one, would not recognize Washington in minifig form from any generic revolutionary soldier in a wig and uniform. Likenesses from portraits won't always translate well into less-detailed minifig form, and Washington would IMO be a victim of this.

I agree with some other ideas already posted, like: Jesus, Napoleon, Henry VIII, Einstein, Chaplin, Hitler, Gandhi, Elvis, Mother Theresa, Gorbachov...

Now these are figs which I myself consider to be unique enough in their appearance or style to be recognizable as minifigs (provided the viewer knows them, of course – if someone never saw a pic of Lincoln, they wouldn't recognize the fig, no matter how accurate it was):

Christopher Columbus, Blackbeard, Daniel Boone, Giuseppe Garbaldi (in the right clothes, like his red shirt), Colonel George Custer, Emperor Francis Joseph, maybe Otto von Bismarck, Kaiser Wilhelm II, Winston Churchill, Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, Charles de Gaulle, maybe Francisco Franco...

Also some after the 1950 boundary: Mao Tse-tung / Zedong, maybe Jawaharlal Nehru (by his clothing, I would bet a billion Indians would recognize him), maybe Leila Khaled (by her famous photos), Leonid Brezhnev, Yasser Arafat, pope Benedict 16th (just use sidious's face - http://cheezburger.com/1290833152 - yeah, old...)

...except Queen Victoria - I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a queen lineup.

I'm also not sure Queen Victoria would come across as anything but a Queen.

Because you don't know her appearance as an elderly lady in royal outfit with her iconic small crown.

Edited by Yooha

There are quite a few existing minifigures based on real-life people, although many or most of them don't fit the pre-1950 qualifier of "historic" found in the initial post, and many of the ones listed here appear so far only in videogames and animation; moreover, this list also has some duplication and some arguable omissions. Nevertheless, I think any discussion of this topic is incomplete without this:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Minifigures_that_are_based_on_real_people

Adolf Hitler

You're kidding right ?

I high doubt Lego would ever even consider a minifig based around that person......and neither for Stalin......what's next serial killers ? :look:

I agree a Queen Victoria would be a good minifig, how about Douglas MacArthur.....I know it's WWII but even the Loonie Tunes had fun with his corn cob pipe and his prim & proper hat/uniform ? :wink:

I think in reality there are precious few with a broad appeal, and as previously suggested - some of the best known are inappropriate and never going to happen. That probably impacts others, for example I think a 'Charlie Chaplin' minifig head might be unlikely to be made as it has *that* moustache.

Some others suggested are already almost-made or possible-to-make with CMF parts - like Marilyn and Elvis.

So, for me, the list is probably as short as : Einstein, Napoleon, some generic US pioneers and an Elizabethan monarch or two... Maybe Ghengis Khan and a Terracotta soldier too.

I agree with lightningtiger on the WW2 'dictators'.

Maybe series 14 could be a science series:

Albert Einstein (looks wise unique enough) with an E=MC2 tile or a famous quote e.g. "Imagination is more important than knowledge" which seems very LEGO appropriate

Benjamin Franklin with a kite

Isaac Newton with an apple

Marie Currie with the x-ray tile from the surgeon CMF

Alfred Nobel with dynamite

Leonardo da Vinci with a vitruvian man tile

Galileo Galilei with a telescope

Nikola Tesla with those dark force lightning bolts

Thomas Edison with a light bulb

Charles Babbage with a laptop

The figures might not be instantly recognizable but it could make kids investigate on who this person was.

Edited by NoEinstein

I was initially going to suggest the historic characters from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure but with the comments on the WWII leaders, I think we would have to avoid other world conquerors. Alexander the Great and Attila the Hun were no less evil than Hitler.

I think army builders would be fine. If someone wanted to make a Napoleon or another version of George Washington, if we have a Revolutionary Commander with that Bicorn hat.

I want Greek and Roman philosophers and senators, but those do not have to be specific individuals.

I like NoEinstein's suggestion of scientists but I would skip the kite with Franklin as not being historically accurate. I would rather build a small Franklin stove. It is ironic that someone called NoEinstein is asking for Einstein. :grin:

The one way we might get a slew of specific historical characters of course is if there was a dedicated CMF series of that.

I'd like a Charles Darwin with a chimp...

You're kidding right ?

I high doubt Lego would ever even consider a minifig based around that person......and neither for Stalin......what's next serial killers ?

No, I'm not kidding because I never suggested it.... as I've repeated over and over.

There's a thread for 'missing' mini figures already (ones you'd like to see TLG make). I just thought it would be interesting what historic figures would be instantly recognizable as the individual, given minifigure lack of detail, and was interested in what people from around the world would say because I realize it would vary by region and country.

There's more reasons than the obvious they don't do individuals... this series is a special case.

Edited by fred67