Hi All

I'm new to GBC, and I've been looking for some resources about useful mechanics - not for specific modules, but more fundamental techniques.

So far I've only really found Josh DaVids really great primer on Constant Velocity Joints

If anyone knows of other similar viedos/tutorials etc. I'd like to know about it!

Thanks!

@Asekio

There aren't techniques unique to GBC really. They are the standard techniques you learn from general Technic building.

You may like this channel:

You also end up using this a far amount:
http://gears.sariel.pl/

To calculate gear ratios. Since a lot of GBC stuff is based on timing, knowing ratios, numbers wise, can be handy.

2 hours ago, turbopolofr said:

eheh.. Geneva Drive from Takanori Hashimoto has been reproduced: 

enjoy

@turbopolofr That's great to hear, was still waiting for that one! :grin: Nice that you finished it, will try to build it soon!

Just got the instructions from your website, but can't open the zip file as it's password protected. Could you pls have a look and get back to me?

THANKS!

Edited by Lego_GBC_NL

12 hours ago, Lego_GBC_NL said:

@turbopolofr That's great to hear, was still waiting for that one! :grin: Nice that you finished it, will try to build it soon!

Just got the instructions from your website, but can't open the zip file as it's password protected. Could you pls have a look and get back to me?

THANKS!

@turbopolofr It's okay now, I should have been more patient :tongue:

Thanks a lot, the instructions look very complete and professional !

Edited by Lego_GBC_NL

12 hours ago, Lego_GBC_NL said:

@turbopolofr It's okay now, I should have been more patient :tongue:

Thanks a lot, the instructions look very complete and professional !

Hi, thanks for the compliment.

I wish you will have a great building experience !

don't hesitate to let me know if you see improvments to the building instructions. 

looking forward to see your pictures. This module is really great

regards

As mentioned in the cement lorry topic.

12 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

Makes me wonder if this has potential for GBC balls:

999_ausschnitt.png

As mentioned in the Cement lorry topic.

7 hours ago, Doug72 said:

As mentioned in the cement lorry topic.

As mentioned in the Cement lorry topic.

Considering that drum has only 1 hole for both input and output, I think it's very hard to use in GBC module. As far as I know, don't have any module with smaller city one.

The drum will conceal the balls and with only one end open it doesn't seem very appealing to do something with that.

This is more appealing to me and I'm working on a GBC version of this, it will be hard to create the blocks without gaps on the edges so balls keep flowing.
I did several attempts but I ordered new type of parts of B&P that became recently available with which I hope I can make it work.
Still it needs to be converted to something with an input and output.

Edited by Berthil
typos

Not bothered about the Ferris wheel, but the spiral ramps are very pleasing to watch.

Apparently it is up to v0.4. Very soothing kinetic sculpture:

On 7/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, Berthil said:

This is more appealing to me and I'm working on a GBC version of this, it will be hard to create the blocks without gaps on the edges so balls keep flowing.

I did several attempts but I ordered new type of parts of B&P that became recently available with which I hope I can make it work.
Still it needs to be converted to something with an input and output.

I am very pleased to hear someone is working on it! Hope you will be able to transfer this ingenious Idea to a lego GBC. 

Edited by Frequenzberater

It really flings them out there!

It is mechanisms we have seen before, but coupled together in an ingenious way.

I use small shock absorbers with soft springs & guides to tension chains both for GBC modules and for tracked vehicles. 

hi all

Where can I found a basic list of parts needed in general for GBC? like baseplates, technic bricks, gears ext? I want to build an inventory so i will not be delayed because of parts (not the special ones atleast).

thanks

8 hours ago, reformy said:

Where can I find a basic list of parts needed in general for GBC? like baseplates, technic bricks, gears ext? I want to build an inventory so i will not be delayed because of parts (not the special ones at least).

This very much depends on your building style and color preference. Just look at parts lists of modules you want to build and build up stock of the parts that are most used but there will always be parts you don't have that will cause delay (Murphy's law).

Edited by Berthil
typos

Axles, Gears, Pins, Liftarms, Conveyor belt tracks, and sprockets, motors

But like Berthil said, it really depends on the modules you want to build... There are many that use a lot of regular System Bricks, and plenty that use modern studless technic

Some of us have been building inventory for years (decades!) and still have to order new parts, if a particular interesting GBC design/mechanism needs 50 of the same part! (happens a lot!)

Assuming that one wants to create custom modules, if one already owns this, then it's a good start :

• a good stock of basic bricks and plates : always easy for quickly building a chassis
  • Technic bricks (studded bars) : chassis, mechanism
  • basic axles, pins, bushings, gears
  • caterpillar tracks (any type) : usual conveyor belts
  • at least one motor : hard to crank a module without shaking it

Then, depending of your design choices and/or skills :

• tiles, slopes... : especially for studded ramps and bins...
  • various little studless parts (connectors, small liftarms) : tiny core mechanisms, elevator wheels...
  • perhaps bigger studless parts too (beams, liftarms (perhaps panels too), if needed

In brief : the potentially needed parts are really very diverse (only excluding very specific and decorating parts). But, as said by Berthil, you'll always miss the part you need at some time.

(and then, for stocking up the parts, it really depends on which kinds of parts you already own, for deciding if you'll first buy part batches from classifieds or not, before buying "retail" on websites like Bricklink.)

And for the balls, see https://www.planet-gbc.com/get-started-with-gbc/get-the-gbc-balls/

Okay, I don't think this has been posted here.

I quite like the tight spiral design. It also works quite well and is visually appealing in terms of being able to see the balls go up.
Also, with this narrowness, it is rare to see it going vertically up, rather than at an incline.