Recommended Posts

@Lego_GBC_NL

Currently working on this mechanism too. But  not as standalone module. 

And mine is called Black Star.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dunes said:

@Lego_GBC_NL

Currently working on this mechanism too. But  not as standalone module. 

And mine is called Black Star.

@dunes, thanks for sharing! Nice to see that even more GBC enthusiasts are interested in this module/mechanism! I think it definitely deserves the attention :classic:

Looks like it's working flawlessly. I really like the whole black appearance, especially the circled "banana" gear racks look awesome in black!

Eventually I was also planning to make it part of a GBC layout, rather than using it as a standalone module. So did you also leave out the ratchet mechanism, like @Ankoku did?

Depending on the following module in the layout, I guess I would decide whether or not to go for that great output ramp, like @PG52 and @Ankoku did.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I left out the rachet mechanism as I find it not necessary. and its too loud. tried it with rachet.

Im not sure about the output. maybe ramp or something else.

And Im using 24T gears instead of the wheels

Edited by dunes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wondered if the 24T gear would work or not. Whether it would provide less drag. How do you find it?

Point of note, I have done no design work on this module, it is all @PG52's work. I just liked it enough to do a digital version of it with the intention of doing instructions. He has done a number of good modules, there is another one of his I am tempted by.

I think I will most likely leave mine as being stand-alone. I just like the idea of having the odd stand-alone module. It also makes it nice for those who don't want to go all in on doing a whole bunch of modules to eventually be able to complete a circuit.

I would have left the ratchet in if it made a nice noise, but it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I had the wheel not in my stock I choose the 24T gears. I had experience with them and the banana gears when I built the Akiyuki train unloader mod and BWE turntable.

I tried it and it worked out great.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

This is my current work in progress. haven't chosen which output Im gonna build.

800x600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the whole Guinness World Record thing healthy for GBC runs at events?

e.g. ultimately it ends up being: Here is 40 identical tipper modules next to each other!

I appreciate the fact that Maico sticks in timestamp bookmarks in his vids to skip past the deluge of identical modules.

If a ball is taking close on 75mins to get through a run, that kinda kills off any attempt of "Follow the blue ball" videos.

It is nice for an event to say they have the "New World Record", but you know the next event will beat it, as they add another X amount of the same module.

I think it would be better if they removed those simple modules which are repeated a lot to make up the numbers.

Having multitudes of whatever the workshop GBC module is for that event is fine. Not sure about keeping them past that event though, as a way padding the numbers.

I feel as though it would be better to count properly unique modules over total number of modules. Would love to see the breakdown of how many times each module is repeated out of the 400.

If I had the money, I would make 1000 of the simplest, dumbest GBC compliant modules, just to make a point and stop the whole world record thing.

This sort of thing:
640x428.jpg

The guy, who I really like, even says he tries to put them in the middle and together, basically because they are boring and put the new stuff around the edge.

In a single year, that event has gone from 266 to 385 modules.

By 2024, it could easily be over 1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ankoku said:Is the whole Guinness World Record thing healthy for GBC runs at events?

e.g. ultimately it ends up being: Here is 40 identical tipper modules next to each other!

I appreciate the fact that Maico sticks in timestamp bookmarks in his vids to skip past the deluge of identical modules.

If a ball is taking close on 75mins to get through a run, that kinda kills off any attempt of "Follow the blue ball" videos.

It is nice for an event to say they have the "New World Record", but you know the next event will beat it, as they add another X amount of the same module.

I think it would be better if they removed those simple modules which are repeated a lot to make up the numbers.

Having multitudes of whatever the workshop GBC module is for that event is fine. Not sure about keeping them past that event though, as a way padding the numbers.

I feel as though it would be better to count properly unique modules over total number of modules. Would love to see the breakdown of how many times each module is repeated out of the 400.

If I had the money, I would make 1000 of the simplest, dumbest GBC compliant modules, just to make a point and stop the whole world record thing.
 

The guy, who I really like, even says he tries to put them in the middle and together, basically because they are boring and put the new stuff around the edge.

In a single year, that event has gone from 266 to 385 modules.

By 2024, it could easily be over 1000.

I agree that having a lot of old workshop modules is boring, but I feel like I would like to see just a few from previous years to see how the workshop modules have changed. Also, I think that some of the workshop modules look cool or are otherwise interesting, but that effect is really diminished when you have so many of them. They also really do make up a large percentage of the GBC, which is not great. I definitely think that they should not have quite so many old workshop modules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The workshop modules in a way, are the most important, as that is actually kids building stuff and in many respects, that is what LEGO is all about.

I think they can be handy to kill in gaps and a few good ones from each type would be great.

Ultimately, my argument is that always striving for more, by just repeating lots of modules, isn't a good way forward and as the numbers balloon, it becomes more of an issue. I just don't think it is sustainable or advisable.

If you are winning at the most modules, you are probably already winning at the most unique modules, so just roll with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 9:54 PM, dunes said:

@Lego_GBC_NL

Currently working on this mechanism too. But  not as standalone module. 

And mine is called Black Star.

 @dunes Having dismantled my Rough Terrain Crane and consigned all the parts to their correct stowage boxes, I have started building the Ferris Wheel module following the PV Productions Fun Park  instructions. NB I only intend to build the Ferris wheel module as a stand alone module.

This appears to have the same mechanism as your Black Star module.
Except I note that your version you are building uses 24T gears as supports for the gear rings. The support framing for these gears also differs.

The PV module uses eight 20T double bevel gears to support the two gear rack rings and it is very stiff the turn by hand and has a tendency to shed 20T gears which keep sliding off the 3L axles. Tried 4L axles with 1/2 bushes to prevent gears coming off but still stiff to turn.
If I removed 4 gears from one side rotation of the gear rings becomes a lot freer.
Could you post a close up side view of your support frame with the 124T gears. I assume the rest of the mechanism to step the ferris wheel around is the same.

Are there any instructions for your version as it looks a lot smoother and the hangers for the ball carriers is different.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by Doug72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Doug72 You should probably look further back in this thread.

The original design is by @PG52, that is what both @dunes and I have been working off. I have created a digital version of it and will be doing instructions shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

@Doug72 You should probably look further back in this thread.

The original design is by @PG52, that is what both @dunes and I have been working off. I have created a digital version of it and will be doing instructions shortly.

Thanks for the quick response. I will trawl back through this thread.

Rotates freely with only four 20T gears all on one side, as soon as you add the other four it binds up !!
I am using the ripe bannana gears used only once before in ATC.
Theres a slight "jump" as gear passes across the ends of each gear segment.

Look forward to seeing your instructions.

Doug.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Problem solved although it baffles me why !

When I put the two gear rings together I had staggered the gear ring joints relative the other gear ring, result - binding.

When joints between gear rings are lined up then the cage with 20T gears rolls freely.

Joints at  90 / 180 / 270 / 360 degs. both sides = OK

Joints on one gear ring at  90 / 180 / 270 /360 degs. Joints on other gear ring at 45 / 135 / 225 / 315 = Binds

Must be some sight deformation in the ring segments.

If a yellow gear quadrant is banana gear, then a black quadrant gear must be a ripe banana one !

Edited by Doug72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripe or gone off? :P

To be honest, I hadn't even though of having the two rings offset like that.

In other news, my word I hate the LEGO Brick & Pieces site. So many errors and each time it bins your order.

Error 1: Was due to a piece that is available on there, but if you try and order it, it errors.

Error 2: You can't have 2 B&Ps orders at a time. I was trying to do it in stages as a form of testing.

Error 3: Access Token Expired. Different to your session expiring.

For all 3 messages, it just says: Sorry, there was an error. It doesn't tell you why. I only know why because I actually went into the code and looked.

Interestingly, in the case of Error 3, hitting back and then forward on the browser did actually secure the order.

It has taken an entire evening trying to do the order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Ripe or gone off? :P

To be honest, I hadn't even though of having the two rings offset like that.

Neither do I know why I did it ! Senior moment perhaps.

Now found cracking on on the ends of the yellow quadrant gears where its only 1/2 L thick.

These are  ex BWE and had several uses since for other MOCs.

Think I can salvage them with ABS glue.

Correct alignment:

48202709442_db286950cf_z.jpg

 

Incorrect alignment:
48202665146_cf4cdd8e69_z.jpg

 

Cracked ends:
48202709377_829571b274_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How is the setting of the 9V controller during exhibitions marked so that others can start and stop the GBC modules? Is an on-off switch always used? Are there some examples?

Edited by Juroen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Juroen said:

How is the setting of the 9V controller during exhibitions marked so that others can start and stop the GBC modules? Is an on-off switch always used? Are there some examples?

Masking tape and a sharpie with an arrow drawn pointing to the correct speed for that controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 7:04 PM, Doug72 said:

Could you post a close up side view of your support frame with the 124T gears. I assume the rest of the mechanism to step the ferris wheel around is the same.

Are there any instructions for your version as it looks a lot smoother and the hangers for the ball carriers is different.

Thanks for any help you can give.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

I changed the hangers to avoid LBG. They are 7 studs wide and the axles in this lenght are only LBG or yellow.

LXF is in planing after I finished the module and done my other digital files from other modules and mocs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Now found cracking on on the ends of the yellow quadrant gears where its only 1/2 L thick

That's too bad. I hope it's only an isolated case of bad luck. They are wonderful pieces, useful in so many ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iLego said:

That's too bad. I hope it's only an isolated case of bad luck. They are wonderful pieces, useful in so many ways.

Checked the rest of my quadrant gears and all ok but I take extra care now when dis-assembling these parts.
Repaired ones now OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.