The rotating track machine is an awesome idea. But I suppose it would be pretty hard to execute something like this in Lego because of the much less weight of the ball. 

But someone should definitely give it a try :pir-grin:

@Ankoku

— KEN (レゴテクニック勢) (@kenken_lego) November 3, 2021

A revival of Akiyuki's Cycloid Drive (but with a much lower number of "teeth") !!!

— くう (@ZVwQnK5poHS87nv) February 4, 2022

Although the trammel of Archimedes has already been implemented in this old mesmerizing standalone GBC (where used as a 4-way splitter), and in Riku Katsumata's Orbit Overlap module (where it spins on its center and ejects balls), I had not been able to find another use of it.

I however tried to think about it when starting LEGO again two/three years ago (I would have liked to design a GBC module who would make use, almost this way, of two variations of this mechanism but I gave up when discovering how difficult it is to tame the balls (even on much simpler usual mechanisms).

I however managed to prototype a "trammel of Archimedes without guiding rails" (it relies on gears), but it's too flexible for picking up balls, and therefore can only be used as a kinetic sculpture (perhaps should I finish and publish it, but it's a small design compared to everything here).

here are my mini desktop sized gbc modules:

all use a shared power system so you only have to attach a motor/crank to one module. here is the standart documented: 

Standart

moving on to the smallest module possible with this standart:

Mini gbc smallest module

next up is a ball bin of this size compared to a normal size one:

gbc comparison

next is a simple stepper module:

mini gbc stepper

moving on to a sweeper module:

mini gbc sweeper

next is a mini version of the "solaire" module:

mini gbc solaire

and finally a module using the old expert builder type gears:

mini gbc drive gear module

you can also attach a crank to this module at the axle coming out of the blue gear.

hope you like these!

59 minutes ago, XG BC said:

here are my mini desktop sized gbc modules:

all use a shared power system so you only have to attach a motor/crank to one module. here is the standart documented: 

moving on to the smallest module possible with this standart:

next up is a ball bin of this size compared to a normal size one:

next is a simple stepper module:

moving on to a sweeper module:

next is a mini version of the "solaire" module:

and finally a module using the old expert builder type gears:

you can also attach a crank to this module at the axle coming out of the blue gear.

hope you like these!

Good idea! Have you videos for your modules? I would like to see them.

1 hour ago, Philtech said:

Good idea! Have you videos for your modules? I would like to see them.

ill make some.

It says it is adult content and that I must log to flickr to see it!?!

Now I am curious! :classic:

17 minutes ago, vascolp said:

It says it is adult content and that I must log to flickr to see it!?!

Now I am curious! :classic:

wait what?! the only skin you see are my hands. yes my hands are naked but still wtf flickr.

edit: i found the issue: flickr for some reason automatically set the videos to adult content. i have now set them to non adult. you can view them in my post above.

Edited by XG BC

That is rather cute! Would make a good mini-addition to events!

I appreciate the colour scheme!

1 minute ago, Ankoku said:

That is rather cute! Would make a good mini-addition to events!

I appreciate the colour scheme!

thank you! one idea i had was to make an adaptor module so to speak where you could place two or three lines of these in one module that fits the normal gbc spec.

you would need a minimum of two lines of these in theory or a "bypass" conveyor to meet the gbc spec of 1 ball per second

another module made digitally. this time a vertical sweeper style module with two output modes: one to the side and one straight on to the next module:

mini gbc vertical sweeper

the sweeping mechanism is angled via just stacking the yellow plate onto the blue plate and onto the black technic brick. is a surprisingly firm connection.

mini gbc vertical sweeper_2

power is transmitted to the wheel via an arrangement of gears which transmit power from the central shared power drive axle to the angled sweeping mechanism.

edit: if you are wondering what the yellow flexible rod is for in the background have a look at my video(s).

Edited by XG BC

I've created a GBC which turns the 42130 BMW Motorrad into a Motorball GBC and can be built using only parts (including spare parts) from the 42130 set and comes with free high quality instructions available at Rebrickable.

This GBC loops on itself and is not a module.

The GBC uses all of the special parts of the Motorrad: both big wheels, three disc brakes, all three special shock absorbers, the full chain, two of its zip lines and even the windshield.

640x480.png

This GBC uses two main units to lift the balls.

The first is built using both wheels. The idea of the controlled input comes from a video by Phil L, and the custom universal joint from a video by 2in1 Bricking.

640x480.png

The second module is a stepper with an attached control center for a minifig.

640x480.png

800x600.JPG

The whole thing is powered by a repurposed version the BMW engine, but can also be powered manually or using any Powered Up or Power Functions motor.

400x300.png

It can be seen in operation in this video:

Hope you like it!

Edited by mla2

Great B-model with some nice use of parts!

Also those renders look just about photo-realistic :thumbup:.

Very nice! The great thing with GBC is the possibility to repurpose oddball parts to functional uses!

Edited by Philo