Great to see someone working on that module. It is a great one for spectators! Glad you took the time to do the digital file for it! Good work!

On 6/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, Berthil said:

I didn't have a stepper as a main module so made this one

Free instructions and parts list on Rebrickable:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25851/Berthil/rainbow-stepper/

My version

49256499426_755d5a91dc_c.jpgGBC Rainbow Step 2 by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

49256615047_3da55d44e3_b.jpgGBC Rainbow Step by OneMoreRobot_NZ, on Flickr

Edited by OneMoreRobot
Added photo

@OneMoreRobot Also Excellent :) Colored Inbox and output ramp are a nice touch.
And you have the rare dark green 1 x 2 tiles :)

Edited by Berthil

Hi GBC lovers!

After spending hours watching GBC videos in the past few years, I finally stepped in during the last holidays. I started building a prototype that used Zamor spheres sized balls, since I already had a few at hand from a Mindstorm NXT. But those are bigger, with a significantly more problematic injection hole. I was happy when my Pick-A-Brick order of 50 orange balls arrived and I could start working with the actual stuff.

As a first module, I wanted something simple, reliable and that fit the rules. Plus, I wanted it to pass one ball at a time, with a reliable delay between balls. That's my milking cow:

y4mSviautd57GwQzFLpAe8vhdDdhG9nt4NBl5XTI

It's a simple ball pump, but it's my design!

Then, I added a conveyor and slide to be able accommodate for actually interesting modules to come, and got my first loop.

With only very few parts remaining, I built a simple stepper. Just because the underlying mechanics look like a massive in-line 10 cylinders motor, which is fun.

I already could line them all up, Milking Cow in front, and take part in a GBC event!

I'm now waiting for more parts (I found a used, incomplete 42055 for about 70$), which should allow me to start building a nice custom module.. Till then, thanks for watching!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

Great start into this hobby! :)

They look like excellent starter modules... GBC is one of those things where you can easily watch a 1min video of someones' mechanism, and then just go off and build your own

It's a lot of fun to try to figure it out yourself, rather than just follow instructions!

I wouldn't call your first module a ball pump - but rather a single piston stepper... a ball pump usually refers to a stack of balls 'trapped' in a vertical tower... one ball in the bottom causes one ball at the top to come out

again.. well done on your first modules!

Thanks Rohan! Yes, that's what I like with GBC and Lego in general; doing things my way; even if the concept I implement is not new.
But with GBC, there's even this thing of finding a way to lift up balls that was never used before! I'm looking forward.. I've plenty of them ideas!

You're totally right. A single piston stepper. Makes me realize I also have to learn the associated vocabulary.

Beat me to it. Not keen on the movement as I prefer things smooth, but it certainly is interesting and looks cool.

Are there any books on building GBC modules that would be helpfull for begineers ?

Searched on line but couldn't find any.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Are there any books on building GBC modules that would be helpfull for begineers ?

Searched on line but couldn't find any.

Haven't found one either, I think you need to make one :)
I though about it, to make one, but will be a massive amount of work besides the fact to ask everybody for permission to include their design(s).

22 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Haven't found one either, I think you need to make one :)
I though about it, to make one, but will be a massive amount of work besides the fact to ask everybody for permission to include their design(s).

Found this which has lots of modules listed  :-

https://lawriege.com/resources/instructions/

I built John Sherman's version of "Bidule à Balles" from his youtube video.

He called it Ball Thingy II.

Original version.

Edited by dunes

Just wondering what you think of my GBC work (in progress) ... 

49551552497_4a35c39504_c_d.jpg

Edited by Hanso

Do we know if The Bananaman 2018 posts on here? I spotted this a while ago, but didn't want to post it in case he was going to do it himself.

I quite like some of the motions.

Although I am not tempted to build it, the motion is clean and you can see it being a huge crowd pleaser at GBC events, especially with the kids.

Click me!

My latest module (work in progress). Throughput is not high enough, working on that.

What do you think of it?

Hans

Intresting. Developments are always great. And use of the EV3 parts are also good.

Will the chain drive hold for a constant drive during several hours?

Keep up the good work.

21 hours ago, Andreas E said:

Intresting. Developments are always great. And use of the EV3 parts are also good.

Will the chain drive hold for a constant drive during several hours?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliment.

I have not tested (yet) for several hours, but if there is weak point in my module, it will be the chain.

I have ordered some additional parts to increase the width from 2 studs to 4 studs, so I can transport two balls in one run. And then clone the conveyor belt plus a slight increase of the motor speed, so I can transport 4 balls per 4 second. That is to say, if it works ;-)

Below you see a rendered impression of the widened version.

Click me!

Will keep you posted.

Edited by Hanso

Just now, Hanso said:

Thanks for the compliment.

I have not tested (yet) for several hours, but if there is weak point in my module, it will be the chain.

For GBC builds I use the large Lego Chain links which are stronger, but are wider at 2 studs.

Bucket Pass by Jerome Christen in a design I saw in the Brickfair South Africa 2019 video.

Digital file is in the works.

800x328.jpg

800x304.jpg