@AGarcia Nice work!
The balls hesitate somewhat to enter theĀ stepper. I suggest you check if you did not forget one 1x2 plate under the end of the inbox floor just before the first stepper to make the floor one plate higher. It's an easy fix.

Edited by Berthil

On 7/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, Ankoku said:

By 2024, it could easily be over 1000.

I don't think that's a position that's held by anyone who has actually been involved in organising a multi-hundred module layout - a layout twice the size requires more than twice the effort to pull off.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:49 AM, Clutch Builder said:

I definitely think that they should not have quite so many old workshop modules.

So what do you tell the young builder who's missed out on a spot on this year's workshop, but brought his module from last year? "Sorry, but we already have some of those, you can't display with us this year"? The vast majority of those older modules were still contributions from multiple individuals, rather than one person showing up with a box of identical modules. How do you determine who can participate and who can't?

On 7/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, Ankoku said:

If you are winning at the most modules, you are probably already winning at the most unique modules, so just roll with that.

So what counts as "unique"? If I build a workshop module in a different colour scheme, is that unique? What if I add some decorative elements? What about if I make some part substitutions? What if I make a lot of part substitutions (e.g. taking a module that's mostly System bricks with a few Technic parts, and re-implementing it wholly in Technic)? What if I keep the lifting mechanism but change the input and output areas? What if I build my own module that happens to use the same principle? Where do you draw the line between what's the same and what's different?

Well, when you GBC Loop increases by 120 in a single year, then 1000 is a realistic expectation. So it means you are faced with some difficult decisions regardless.

If you are going to have all returning workshop builds each year, once the amount becomes unsustainable, do you start removing the non-workshop modules from the loop to make room? Or do you say

"Sorry, but we already have some of those, you can't display with us this year"

?

It shouldn't take long before the GBC loop comprises of more workshop builds than anything else.

Humans are surprisingly good at drawing arbitrary lines and "uniqueness" is no different. LEGO Events, I am sure, have to make decisions about what gets a place to be shown. I am sure guidelines can be created. Does it help if I use the word "overly similar"?

So, I can only assume you are alluding to Ball Factory v2 v.s. v3. If you can't answer that question for yourself, then I can't help you. Considering that neither are present at most GBC events, it shouldn't be too much of an issues. I remember there being a pink and white Ball Factory v2 at an Australian event. It is a radically different colour scheme, there wasn't another colour variant there, but even if there was, it doesn't change the fact that it is a very complex module and people will be happy to see it, even if there are two identical ones. That said, 10 differently colour ball pumps is a very different proposition. To be honest, after the 3rd of 4th colour variation of Catch & Spin, it starts to feel a little excessive.

At some point, it might be worth having the main loop with this years workshop modules and then have a secondary loop with previous workshop modules. Considering they are already clumping them together and sticking them in a less visible area, these seems like a good move, if it wasn't for the love of "New World Record".

So something is going to have to happen at some point. The increases in the number of modules each year is getting bigger and I would argue that the current workshop approach is unsustainable in the long run.

I would argue that 385 is already too many, but I am sure we will be seeing over 400, maybe even 500 by this time next year. After all, you have to break the previous world record!

Greetings,

Today, I have FOR SALE a reverse engineered module by @dunes. This module is the V1 Catapult. The module is complete and I am looking to get it sold quickly. Shipped disassembled. Dunes has given me prior permission to do this.

Information:

For Sale:

Dunes V1 Catapult GBC Module

Price:

US $99.99 + S&H

Shipping:Ā 

Calculated when purchased. BuyerĀ pays this fee.Ā 

What youā€™ll receive:

A box or bubble mailed filled with all the parts needed to build Dunes Catapult V1. (LXF fileĀ available) NOT PAPER PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Video of it:Ā https://youtu.be/PEj1YxkiZ9g

Thanks for looking!

Please comment here if you are interested and we can establish communication to discuss.Ā 

EthanĀ 

3 hours ago, Ethan M said:

Greetings,

Today, I have FOR SALE a reverse engineered module by @dunes. This module is the V1 Catapult. The module is complete and I am looking to get it sold quickly. Shipped disassembled. Dunes has given me prior permission to do this.

Information:

For Sale:

Dunes V1 Catapult GBC Module

Price:

US $99.99 + S&H

Shipping:Ā 

Calculated when purchased. BuyerĀ pays this fee.Ā 

What youā€™ll receive:

A box or bubble mailed filled with all the parts needed to build Dunes Catapult V1. (LXF fileĀ available) NOT PAPER PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Video of it:Ā https://youtu.be/PEj1YxkiZ9g

Thanks for looking!

Please comment here if you are interested and we can establish communication to discuss.Ā 

EthanĀ 

is it built with new or used parts, and would you sell it without the motor?

13 minutes ago, 9v system said:

is it built with new or used parts, and would you sell it without the motor?

@9v system

Both kinds of parts are used although I looked at all the parts. They are all in new condition and look great. I would sell it without the motor.Ā 

Ethan

13 hours ago, Captainowie said:

Soļ»æ what do you tell the young builder who's missed out on a spot on this year's workshop, but brought his module from lasļ»æt year? "ļ»æSorrļ»æy, but we already hļ»æave some of those, you can't display with us this year"ļ»æļ»æ?ļ»æ

Yes - if people know in advance that there is a limited number of old workshop modules that can be on the table, I donā€™t think that is unfair. However, if this person didnā€™t know in advance, then that is a more difficult question.Ā 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, Berthil said:

@AGarcia Nice work!
The balls hesitate somewhat to enter theĀ stepper. I suggest you check if you did not forget one 1x2 plate under the end of the inbox floor just before the first stepper to make the floor one plate higher. It's an easy fix.

Thanks!

I already looked to that situation, but didnt fix before the video.

Refering to the instruction, just two notes:

- in page 12 you missed one plate 1x4 DBG;

- In page 34 you forgot to mention: "5x 10L";

Now built the Ferris Wheel following PV Productions instructions.

Built as a closed loop stand alone module.

Had problems with too many balls entering each car and overloading it, which resulting in excess balls falling out and jamming the lower crank lever.
I modified entry gate to allow max 4 ball balls per car.
Two ā€œSlow downā€ devices also added on the return run to try and even out ball flow.

Last slow down device is set to allow 3 or 4Ā balls to enter the car, and relies on theĀ  impetous from other arriving balls to kick start them to enter the car.

Speed has to be adjusted to try and even out ball flow.

Once instructions are available for the PG32 version I will re-build once I order someĀ  more LEGO Dark Stone Gray Bowed Panel 3 x 7 x 2 with 4.85 Hole (24119)

Its quite noisy when running,Ā 

Re rachet:- Ā presume this is to prevent wrong way rotation.

Video:

Ā 

Edited by Doug72

Never had issues with too many balls with the @PG52 version. You certainly shouldn't have them arranged the way you do in that preview image. Neither does it need something to hold the balls back.

Also, the carriages of the wheel are incredibly wide. All of these things are basically down to it being made with parts from a single set.

The ratchet system isn't needed. Although I will include it in the instructions, I don't use it myself.

Have ordered the needed parts, just waiting for the order to appear from LEGO. It is in transit.

@AnkokuĀ thanks for that info, yes agree carriages are too wide but that's because I usedĀ only parts from the rough terrain crane.

If too many balls tried to enter the balls would either fall and jam the lowere crank or jam to slide for ball loading.

I will order the parts I need to build the PG52 version carriages and await the instructions when they are ready.

Has given me Ā a good insight to how it functions.

PS video was a bit out if focus because of a finger print on my camera lens !!!!!!!

here is a video of my version of "The Sun"

@Doug72Ā I think your version runs a bit to fast. looks very shaky.

Ā 

@Doug72Ā I think your version runs a bit to fast. looks very shaky.

Camera shack !

Agree, Ā now run at a slower speed and is smoother. Not happy with ball return run and will sort that out when I rebuild.

Your version steeper arm is atĀ the top, the PV version is st the bottom. Which is better.

Edited by Doug72

33 minutes ago, dunes said:

why is it better to be atĀ the bottom?

Missed a ? mark,

I meant which is better, top or bottom ?

Interesting video, especially for the self-looping solo modules.

Even has a cup-to-cup using a few crowns instead of headlight dishes.

To celebrate the fact that @PG52 uploaded a video to YouTube of a new module today, here is my version of The Sun.

The instructions will be for his version. Here I have made a few changes. Including removing the rubber runners at the end of the top slope. They were causing tension and twisting. So I went with a Technic solution which removed that.

Removed the ratchet system on the wheel.

Added more support to the top ramp.

Added some decoration.

Does it run perfectly? No. When the balls load into the hopper, a ball can get trapped between the corner of the hopper and the corned of the ramp. Since the module has no Clutch Gear, this usually results in the ball being fired out at speed and often a big mess.

So I may try and test a few things related to that, but not before the instructions come out.

Testing has highlighted a need to change how I have the orange liftarms at the bottom arranged.

Thanks for sharing the video, looks awesome!Ā :sweet:Ā I think the Technic 1x2 liftarms are a perfect substitute for the rubber runners, both techniques seem to be doing the job and both look neat.

Was it your aim to still create thatĀ randomized output flow or are the white parts on the top slope merely meant to slow down the balls?

Hope to see the instructions online soonĀ :drool:

On 7/9/2019 at 11:29 PM, turbopolofr said:

on my side, I'm finalizing building instructions for Geneva Drive with support fromĀ Takanori Hashimoto, the original builder of the module

Stay tuned on Planet GBC for some news!

@turbopolofrĀ This is also great news by the way! I recently learnt that "Lego Gbc And Stationary Engines" was also working on this module, but couldn't finish it (side tracked with other projects), so nice to hear that you're still working on it and the original designer is giving support! :classic:Ā Really superb Geneva Drive module I think, both theĀ underlying techniques as well as the overall appearance look very inviting...

Also my compliments on your Planet GBC website!Ā Great place to learn about the numerousĀ GBC modules and designers out there. Already downloaded lots of building instructions and other useful stuffĀ over the past months. Thanks and keep up the good work!Ā :thumbup:

I have basically, pretty much exactly to the original. As, when it comes to Akiyuki modules, I want mine to be identical to the original, unless their is good reason for it to be otherwise.

So the instructions will be exactly the same as his design. I needed to test those instructions, so the randomisers are there.

To be honest, I am happy to leave them there. They add a bit of interest to it.

An engineer friend was watching, it since he was round today, trying to work out how much impact the randomisers have outside of slowing down the first ball :P As that is the ball which seems to do most of the work.

I have used a Technic, Axle Connector Double Flexible (Rubber) to connect the runner corner replacement and to deal with the change in angle. I am not really happy with this solution, but it does secure it.