It isn't so much about available torque for me as just making the strain on the motor consistent as far as possible. When it switches between lifting and dropping, you kinda feel sorry for the motor as you listen to it.

@Doug72 Nice idea! Compact module with a nice effect and without the much seen steppers or belts :)
The movement reminds me a bit of an oil Pumpjack of which I still plan to make my own version.

Edited by Berthil

Yeah, I have been thinking of a pumpjack, but spend all my time working out how to do a correct curve on it.

17 hours ago, Ankoku said:

It isn't so much about available torque for me as just making the strain on the motor consistent as far as possible. When it switches between lifting and dropping, you kinda feel sorry for the motor as you listen to it.

Tried acounterweight but no good as ball lift relies on gravity to lower it.
Part of the motor noise appears to be from the worm thrust, motor is quieter in one direction compared to the other.

Ball rate is well withing GBC rules. Ball carrier holds 15 balls and on a 10sec cycle equates to 90 balls per min.

I am going to gear down the motor to give lower rate, which will take strain off the motor, probably 12/20  (54/min) or 8/24 (30 balls/min)

17 hours ago, Berthil said:

@Doug72 Nice idea! Compact module with a nice effect and without the much seen steppers or belts :)

Thanks - thats what I set out to do, eliminate the need for reveresrs & use of gear racks etc.

Edited by Doug72

Now tested with different speeds.

3/24 is too slow

12/20 is best and gives approx 60 balls /min. and motor is a lot quieter.

Edited by Doug72

On 5/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, dmcc0 said:

Has anyone found an alternative to the chrome headlight part (71128) used in Akiyuki's cup to cup etc?  They are becoming more scarce (and expensive) on bricklink, especially if multiples are required and was hoping to maybe find a cheaper alternative.  Was thinking possibly part 39262 (crown form TLM2s Queen), anyone tried this?

If you are not a LEGO Purist, you can order this ones: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32840419948.html

I have them myself, and work perfectly for the cup to cup (V2)

Edited by t0mster

GBC Ball lift Ver 3.0 (Red)

Improved guide rails for ball carrier used instead of the six wedge wheels. 
Rope cord adjuster added to set the upper travel limit and to get correct tension so the crank arm does not deflect.

L motor mounting improved and Ball carrier can hold 15 balls. 

Lift cycle with 12/20 gears is approx 15 sec = 60 balls / min. Dwell time at top 2 ses, at bottom 3 secs.

With 8/24 gears lift cycle is approx 25 sec. cycle = 36 balls per min. Dwell time at top 3 secs and & 6 secs at bottom.

Biggest problem was arranging the discharge chute to be high enough to clear a GBC train car with ball carrier
Had problems with balls not rolling down the discharge chute and still needs improving.

Now tested with a GBC Train and it is capable of running the lift,  timing should be fairly easy to achieve for the reverser.

47935203157_de0a7ab1f6_z.jpg

47935217348_3c4cb03f03_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Somehow, that contraption makes me think guillotine. And now I'm wondering how one of those would make a GBC module.

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

Somehow, that contraption makes me think guillotine. And now I'm wondering how one of those would make a GBC module.

You would need something to release the carrier at the top - something like an style old drop hammer pile driver.

Edited by Doug72

I built my first GBC MOC this weekend, with the target to make a lift module from the new 2x4 brick with axle holes from the Spike Prime set:

Added some motor bracing and side guards to keep balls from rolling under, since I made the video, but seems decent reliable.  If I put a large amount of balls in the infeed (~50+), the agitator can tend to sling them around a bit, and have seen a couple fall out the back.

I wish I had a lower height to the stepper, but I maxed it out with the using double 5x7 frames as guides.  As a result, the infeed pitch is a bit less than I would like.  Built it for the "Spring Into GBC" challenge, spawned from the Great Ball Pit discord.  

Edited by BrianGT

You need to align your Universal Joints.

e.g. make sure the slots are on the same side as each other.

A couple of recent shows that I've done

A solo effort at a local School Carnival, back in March: - 22 Modules

And last weekend, as a fundraiser show for a local non-profit organization, with the Brooks Family contributing alongside my modules: - 38 modules

This will be the last show for a few of my bigger, older modules - time to retire, and build new things! :)

On 5/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, Doug72 said:

Tried a counterweight but no good as ball lift relies on gravity to lower it.

I like the simplicity!  Perhaps add a counterweight to the rotating liftarm itself (opposite end from the pulley, obviously).

Edited by aeh5040

3 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

I like the simplicity!  Perhaps add a counterweight to the rotating liftarm itself (opposite end from the pulley, obviously).

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately there is no clearance to mount a counterweight at other end of the rotating arm even if extend it. Also a c/w would foul the 20T bevel gear.

If I change the 3x5 lift arms to 2x4 lift arms to support the worm drive axle the available clearance space would be 1L.

That only gives very little space for a decent counterweight !

47944038416_ca3575682e_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Here is a lift MOC that I made for the Great Ball Pit - Spring into GBC challenge from Discord:

Seems fairly reliable.  I modelled it in parallel in stud.io, and am in the process of making instructions if anyone is interested.

1 minute ago, Ankoku said:

Nice use of this piece!

64179.png

The way this part has been used might be the solution I,m looking for to load 15 balls per cycle for my Rope Lift GBC module !

Thanks.  I have the updated model in stud.io.  Will try to find time to make instructions soon.  

ss923Ru.png

GBC Rope Lift - Ball limiting device for input added.

Loading gate releases balls onto the lift platform and at same time blocks any balls in excess of 16 from moving.
Three axles rise via a link & cam system to block any excess balls from entering the lift platform.

As lift rises the loading gate drops and at the same time the three axles lower allowing balls the roll down for next lift cycle.

It took a lot of time to get timings to work OK, by adjuste axle lengths & pivot points etc.

47978050671_44880bd0bb_z.jpg

47978050771_f867066c70_z.jpg

Side view showing linkages and lift cam for ball blocking system.

47978073632_a93afcd301_z.jpg

Video:
Bit of a juggling act to hold camera & return balls back to the input.

Edited by Doug72