GBC Layout from BrickExpo Canberra 2018

Myself, @Captainowie, @Cadder and another builder Neil

It was a good show.. Friday afternoon, and both Sat/Sun 

A few issues with some of the my modules..

• My Hailfire Loops developed a bit of friction on the last day, so I added a 2nd motor - input stepper needed to be geared faster
  • Steering Cups needs a better designed gearbox - kept losing a gear - and I think I want to redesign the geartrain, so it's simpler
  • Cup to Cup v2 - top cup doesn't always transfer properly, so it drops down into the mechanism, causing jams
  • Planets - first big white feeder disc, on 3rd day had developed a bit of friction.. lifting it up slightly fixed it -overall, this one ran very well
  • My Ball Flinger/accelerator worked well... until I demo'ed the adjustment to a visitor, and took 10mins to get it tuned nicely again!!
  • My Blue-rails down-tower ramp needs a steeper angle, and better ball clearance at each turn... it got jammed several times

the other guys had various issue with theirs... but overall, we were able to keep it running for 2.5 days, plus a couple of evening sessions

@Captainowie might post his neato ball stats graph, from the RCX counter he had! :)

and a timelapse setup!

Edited by RohanBeckett

The Japanese guy who made it only posted it yesterday.

He does have a few pics of the wheel on his Twitter account.

Rohan you forgot the most important thing - we won second prize in the beauty contest exhibitor's choice awards!

Here's the graph.

BE18_GBC_data.jpg

The vertical scale is in Balls Per Second, averaged over 15 minutes, and the horizontal axis is in 15-minute tics. Since annotating the graph, we've identified the second mystery Friday dip as the time I made a modification to one of the modules just upstream of the sensor.

Owen.

Edited by Captainowie
Added the graph.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, Ankoku said:

I can see this making events in the future! Hypnotic.

That's epic! I made a smaller version of the mechanism a long time ago (see video below), but it never occurred to my how perfectly the concept fits with GBC!

And here is an astonishing piece of automation by the same builder...

Edited by aeh5040

Came across this the other day.

Ignoring the electronics, I really like the solution he has found to send balls either one route or the other.

I think it could be used quite well as a simple timer. Just leave it rotating at the desired speed in a single direction. Thus allowing you to get a ball every X.

He is using an old Technic piece for it, but I suspect that this would work fine:
44374.png

@Ankoku, I've seen it, thanks. It shows it even works well on low speeds although it seems the inbox is not correctly build and at the end there is small pile-up because of the lower speed.

My Solaire GBC module was featured by Lego Technic today on Facebook.  It's nice to see more and more GBC making it's way mainstream.

qAF57EI.png

If you didn't know you can get free instructions for the Solaire module on the website linked in my signature.

not sure if this belongs here or in the akiyuki project but i have created an ldraw file for the Double bucket gbc by @Berthil i have sent him the ldr file for him to turn into instructions.

640x360.jpg

Edited by 9v system

Good looking layout.

Is that the old Lego large chain with 2 studs you are using for the red vertical ball lift ?

How are the buckets attached to the chain & are you using the old chain cogs.

I have plenty waiting for a use.

Edited by Doug72

The small flexible stepper reminds me of the chained Maico Stepper I made:

the one-armed pickup-and-put module is quite interesting to watch!

and of course, the wheel slider is very impressive!

one thing I found with mine - and it's probably the design, is that it definitely worked better, when all 5 steps were NOT in sync

it was much less load on the single motor driving them all, if the 'virtual crankshaft' was balanced

Not sure how long you could stretch this design, and have an alternating up/down on each step