On 17/01/2017 at 10:05 AM, RohanBeckett said:

Well.. 4 days (incl 1 day setup!) of Brickvention 2017 is over!  

We managed to get 72 Modules running - a new Australian record!  although it did take a couple of days before everything settled in, and was running smoothly

Oh, and in case anyone's interested... I had a RCX-powered ball counter running - 22k balls went past the counter, at a rate of between 1/4 and 1/2 ball per second. Once I saw it up around 3/4 bps, but most of the time it sat about 1/3.

The pump mechanism I posted in my last message turns out to suffer from a lot of jamming in real life applications.

I will look into ways to counter these jams.

I made something kind of like that for a Xmas gift exchange a few years ago.  I made it 1x1 plate lower step at the input.  It seems to help a bit with the jamming a bit.  I like how you are using curved slopes.  I am going to try that.

15394248614_964899ba99_z.jpgWonder Woman Invisible GBC by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Hello everyone,

I have made instructions for Finn’s Steering Cup GBC module which is also seen in Akiyuki’s 2016 Brickfest video. I took the liberty to greatly modify the input and output parts of the module by building them according to Akiyuki’s standard to allow full compatibility with the others modules from the Akiyuki Project. As a matter of fact, you will find the PDF and MPD files in the same Akiyuki Project folder on Bricksafe with my others instructions files:
http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Steering_Cup_par_Superfin619.mpd

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Steering_Cup_par_Superfin619.pdf

On 1/28/2017 at 0:47 PM, Lasse D said:

The pump mechanism I posted in my last message turns out to suffer from a lot of jamming in real life applications.

I will look into ways to counter these jams.

Look at Lasse Deleuran's pump mechanism. He has a number of innovations on this piston pump mechanism, but the use of a wheel as the "head" of the piston may be the most important. I haven't tried it myself. 

On 1/26/2017 at 3:03 AM, Captainowie said:

Oh, and in case anyone's interested... I had a RCX-powered ball counter running - 22k balls went past the counter, at a rate of between 1/4 and 1/2 ball per second. Once I saw it up around 3/4 bps, but most of the time it sat about 1/3.

1/3 bps is consistent with my experience at Brickworld shows. I timed a large Maico Arts contraption a few years ago and also got about 1/3 bps. 

Since a GBC will only go as fast as its slowest module, it follows that the slowest module on most GBCs averages 1/3 bps. I suppose the reason is that any module slower than 1/3 bps gets removed from the GBC.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:06 PM, Courbet said:

Hello everyone,

I have made instructions for Finn’s Steering Cup GBC module which is also seen in Akiyuki’s 2016 Brickfest video. I took the liberty to greatly modify the input and output parts of the module by building them according to Akiyuki’s standard to allow full compatibility with the others modules from the Akiyuki Project. As a matter of fact, you will find the PDF and MPD files in the same Akiyuki Project folder on Bricksafe with my others instructions files:
http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Steering_Cup_par_Superfin619.mpd

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Steering_Cup_par_Superfin619.pdf

nice. are you able to do the step tower module?

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video. There is the same video quoted few posts back.

3 hours ago, ALittleSlow said:

Since a GBC will only go as fast as its slowest module, it follows that the slowest module on most GBCs averages 1/3 bps. I suppose the reason is that any module slower than 1/3 bps gets removed from the GBC.

I feel that the threshold for removal of a module is somewhat higher than 1/3. I'd be inclined to drop any module that couldn't do at least 2/3 bps (especially if it doesn't deal well with a buildup of balls). I think the discrepancy between slowest module and observed ball rate is down to ball spillage.

6 hours ago, ALittleSlow said:

Look at Lasse Deleuran's pump mechanism. He has a number of innovations on this piston pump mechanism, but the use of a wheel as the "head" of the piston may be the most important. I haven't tried it myself.

Thanks. I have had some trouble using brickshelf these last couple of days, so my work on showing the mechanism has fallen behind. I will post a new video this week detailling the mechanism using a more transparent module.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, 9v system said:

nice. are you able to do the step tower module?

I haven't got a clue on this one!

2 hours ago, Courbet said:

I haven't got a clue on this one!

Well I am building it right now. I will let you know how I go with it.

Wonderful :wub: Works very smoothly.

A few non-lego springs in the bigger robot; I wonder if there's more, and what kind of pump is used...

3 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

Wonderful :wub: Works very smoothly.

A few non-lego springs in the bigger robot; I wonder if there's more, and what kind of pump is used...

There are detailed videos of the pump and comparisons of the arms with and without Springs.  Pretty solid builds.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:53 AM, Captainowie said:

I feel that the threshold for removal of a module is somewhat higher than 1/3. I'd be inclined to drop any module that couldn't do at least 2/3 bps (especially if it doesn't deal well with a buildup of balls). I think the discrepancy between slowest module and observed ball rate is down to ball spillage.

Yeah, ball spillage must be a factor. 

Anyone figure out a way to easily disable reverse on the 9V train controller module?  I have been using it for my Ball Factory V2, but my daughter threw it in reverse yesterday, breaking the chains and messing up timing in a few other areas.

I was thinking of putting nail polish over the reversing contacts on the PCB, but wondering what others have possibly done.

-Brian

58 minutes ago, BrianGT said:

Anyone figure out a way to easily disable reverse on the 9V train controller module?  I have been using it for my Ball Factory V2, but my daughter threw it in reverse yesterday, breaking the chains and messing up timing in a few other areas.

I was thinking of putting nail polish over the reversing contacts on the PCB, but wondering what others have possibly done.

-Brian

You could solder in a diode to the PF power cable from the GBC so that no current flows if the 9V controller is reversed.  That will protect the GBC even if someone attaches a different 9V controller to it.  Useful if you take your GBC modules to shows.

57 minutes ago, BrianGT said:

I thought about a diode, but wasn't sure if the diode loss would cause issues with lower speeds.

How about adding a mechanical one-way mechanism like a simple clicker? I use such a mechanism in my helicopter trailer and it works really well:

http://c-mt.dk/instructions/instructions.php?model=HelicopterTrailer&page=1

See the next page of the link for how the mechanism is completed.

It's simple and reversible and 100% LEGO. Requires a #1 Phillips screwdriver and a 1 x 6 brick. That's probably enough information for most people on this thread. :-) Or you could watch this amateur video.

Edited by ALittleSlow
Insert quote

5 hours ago, ALittleSlow said:

It's simple and reversible and 100% LEGO. Requires a #1 Phillips screwdriver and a 1 x 6 brick. That's probably enough information for most people on this thread. :-) Or you could watch this amateur video.

That's brilliant! Though it does mean that you can't, say, run something backwards for a second to deal with a bind. Maybe something with a shock absorber could be used to have a spring-loaded return-to-zero.

GBC query:-
I have come across a video of of a Mechanical chain module by Nxtstep101 and just what I am looking for for a mini GBC loop I am putting together.

Would this work at an angle or even vertically ?
Are there any instructions available ?

How do you set the gears and levers?

Edited by Doug72