just2good

LEGO Minecraft (Minfigure Scale) 2014 Rumors and Discussion

I'm a big minecraft guy, and while I don't love the sets, The figures/accessories seem awesome. Definitely buying.

Shouldnt these go in liscensed?

It seems so weird that with Minecraft being a game composed entirely out of cubes and pixels, that it would only seem fit that LEGO does the same. Looking at these sets, I really think the Micro World sets were way more accurate to the game and probably had a lot more potential as a theme if LEGO pursued that instead of this.

But hey, I guess this will appeal to a lot of kids, seeing as they're the majority that play the game lately.

Eh. Maybe it's just the quality of the pictures but I'm not really liking the look of these sets.

1st set:

- The spider is not proportional. Here is an in game image for comparison: http://fc05.devianta...fox-d64wn0u.png

- The graphics are just odd. I mean given the block nature of Minecraft, why not just keep the same pixelated graphics? The Minifigs and TNT graphics make no sense and just look weird:

Minecraft-Steve.jpg

Zombie:

photo.jpg

TNT:

Tnt.png

- I will leave the fact of it being hard to differentiate Cobblestone from Gravel alone given the limited Gray palette Lego has. I guess that is where imagination comes in.

- The Obsidian is off. Coal is gray with small bits of black in block form in Minecraft but given Obsidian is like a blackish purple, it might work.

Image for comparison:

obsidian.png

- Water and lava are fine.

- Chest is fine. I like the idea of bread given it's a pretty common food item.

- Bread makes sense given the in game icon and the Lego piece both look like French Loafs(albeit smaller in Minecraft).

- The tiles that make up the grass blocks make no sense. Why not just keep them be 2x2 plate? Same with whatever that Cobble/Gravel or Gravel/Cobble combo is.

- Proportions of everything is off. Usually water and Lava mixing like that to make Obsidian only occurs in ravines or deep in caves. Though given Minecraft's world generation anything is possible. I guess you could imagine this as a player built area as well. EDIT: Actually, it's possible this could be the bottom of a ravine but still not sure about the proportion of this.

- There is not a single Pickaxe with a silver handle unless it's a custom one. The one pictured would be a Iron Pickaxe on top.

2nd set:

- I like the trees and the way a Birch Tree is portrayed.

- Not sure what that brick and tile next to the Minifig is supposed to portray.

- THEY FINALLY USE THE PIXELATED PATTERN ON THE COW? WHY NOT THE REST?!

- Skeleton Minifig applies to the above set.

- The Pumpkin I shockingly like the simplicity of.

- Loving that Stone Brick block!

- The animal pen makes no sense. Here is a typical Minecraft pen:

P06-pen.jpg

- The landscaping is odd underneath unless this image Photoshopped it out.

- Everything else looks fine.

Edit: Yes I've played a lot of Minecraft, mainly on the Xbox 360. So I'm being very picky about this.

Edited by Tech Artist

Eh. Maybe it's just the quality of the pictures but I'm not really liking the look of these sets.

1st set:

- The spider is not proportional. Here is an in game image for comparison: http://fc05.devianta...fox-d64wn0u.png

- The graphics are just odd. I mean given the block nature of Minecraft, why not just keep the same pixelated graphics? The Minifigs and TNT graphics make no sense and just look weird:

Minecraft-Steve.jpg

Zombie:

photo.jpg

TNT:

Tnt.png

- I will leave the fact of it being hard to differentiate Cobblestone from Gravel alone given the limited Gray palette Lego has. I guess that is where imagination comes in.

- The Obsidian is off. Coal is gray with small bits of black in block form in Minecraft but given Obsidian is like a blackish purple, it might work.

Image for comparison:

obsidian.png

- Bread makes sense given the in game icon and the Lego piece both look like French Loafs(albeit smaller in Minecraft).

- The tiles that make up the grass blocks make no sense. Why not just keep them be 2x2 plate? Same with whatever that Cobble/Gravel or Gravel/Cobble combo is.

- Proportions of everything is off. Usually water and Lava mixing like that to make Obsidian only occurs in ravines or deep in caves. Though given Minecraft's world generation anything is possible. I guess you could imagine this as a player built area as well. EDIT: Actually, it's possible this could be the bottom of a ravine but still not sure about the proportion of this.

- There is not a single Pickaxe with a silver handle unless it's a custom one. The one pictured would be a Iron Pickaxe on top.

2nd set:

P06-pen.jpg

Edit: Yes I've played a lot of Minecraft, mainly on the Xbox 360. So I'm being very picky about this.

I agree with everything you have said, and I mostly only play on the 360 also.

1st set:

Zombie:

TNT:

Image for comparison:

The proportions of the spider are indeed off, but, as someone who's tried and failed to make minifigure-scale spiders plenty of times, this is probably the best that can be done without new molds specifically for the spider.

The graphics are supposed to a be a compromise between LEGO's style and Minecraft. Pixelated prints like you suggest would probably use way too many colors. and look off compared to the simple style of the rest of the set. The only thing that I think would make the minifigures look better is use of the new short-sleeve arms, and a bit more detail on the torsos.

Obsidian is done to the best of their ability, there is no black-purple color in LEGO.

The 2x2 plates with a single stud seem to be a callback to my original models in the Cuusoo submission. We experimented with building the whole set out of blocks with those on top after the project was approved, but it proved to be too fragile. They're meant to give added play function, as it's quite easy to add and remove blocks to the tops. This is great for the ores, as they seem to all be attached by a single stud so that kids can easily "mine" them.

Monotone tools are unfortunate, but it's something we'll have to live with. Ideally the handles would be brown, but that isn't the case so imagination must step in for now.

2nd set:

The brick and tile is a crafting bench, the 2x2 round plate on the bottom allows it to be moved around easily.

The animal pen makes perfect sense. Mob's cant jump over fences, you don't have to stack fences on top of each other to prevent that. This pen would work perfectly fine in the game.

I do agree with the landscaping though, just covering up the bottom with a single brick would have done wonders for this set. It also bugs me a bit that the proportions of the blocks are all wacky. A single block should be represented by two plates and a brick. I can understand taking one of those plates off to save on parts, especially for the ores, but there are cases where a block is a single brick tall that could have easily been prevented. The plates in the Cave set also bother me.

Overall, they could be better, but they aren't bad given the limitations. I'll still be buying every single one of them, simply because I helped make the first set. I'll definitely be modding them to make them more accurate to the games though.

The sets look great, thanks for the pictures. I think the cave looks awesome and the farm is also pretty cool.

I am not impressed. These sets look like something a kid would come up with. When there are amazing sets like modulars, trains, ucs models, ... How on earth would someone buy this instead? Just my 2 cents...

I am not impressed. These sets look like something a kid would come up with. When there are amazing sets like modulars, trains, ucs models, ... How on earth would someone buy this instead? Just my 2 cents...

Modulars are $150- these are $20 and $30.

Modulars are $150- these are $20 and $30.

That doesn't really change the fact that these look like rubbish though.

You would, in all honesty, get more bang for your buck filling a couple of PAB cups and building something yourself.

The Minecraft micro sets were a stroke of genius. They captured the look and feel of the game perfectly.

These...look like something I might have slapped together when I was five.

All that poster was saying was that in a market where we're accustomed to elaborate building techniques and interesting pieces, these look fully plain.

A modular might set you back 200$, but it'll deliver more bang for your buck than ten of these sets.

But, to each thier own. I full understand one's analytical judgement being coloured by a pure love of the game. I'm the same way with other things (and am at a loss as to how people can't see the beauty, hahaha). /shrug.

I'm no lover of Minecraft - never played the game, and I don't even like the graphics style - but I think these two finished sets look pretty neat. They're really a different LEGO style, which is cool to me by itself, because we are used to seeing a certain type of style permeating nearly all themes at this point. They're not an exact replica of the game, but they emulate it in a cool way - blocky game, blocky LEGO. There also seem to be some nice recolors of parts, and the new head part will be interesting. Plus 2x2 jumpers in nice colors - always useful.

I'll admit that I used to think the Micro World sets were pretty cool… until I saw a display of them in a LEGO store and felt the full force of just how tiny they are. Sure, a lot of pieces, but for $35 they look like you're getting nothing. I guess they're good as parts packs, but those actually look better in pictures where they're bigger than real size.

These sets, on the other hand, do Minecraft in playset fashion. To my taste as someone who doesn't even like Minecraft graphics, they do it rather well.

I've played the game and watch videos daily, and I don't see Minecraft in these, other than the mobs. The Cave looks neat, but that's as far as my love for them goes.

As someone who has went from being a Lego fan to more of a Minecraft fan over the last few years, these sets (and the last minecraft sets) are a perfect example why. I just can't see why a Minecraft fan (or minecraft fan's parents) would spend so much money on these when they could continue to have more fun with a game that only costs $26. If you are not a Minecaft fan then I can't see why you would want to pay more for these odd looking licensed sets. I know these will still make Lego a ton of money though.

As someone who has went from being a Lego fan to more of a Minecraft fan over the last few years, these sets (and the last minecraft sets) are a perfect example why. I just can't see why a Minecraft fan (or minecraft fan's parents) would spend so much money on these when they could continue to have more fun with a game that only costs $26. If you are not a Minecaft fan then I can't see why you would want to pay more for these odd looking licensed sets. I know these will still make Lego a ton of money though.

I feel the same way, and that's also why I haven't posted here in a while.

I totally agree. These are ugly, half-baked sets that feel more like spec/unfinished work than ready-to-sell Lego products.

They look ok but I wish that every part would be like the grass blocks ( they would be smooth like in game). The studs look out of place, it looks very unfinished and some of the proportions are wrong (the birch tree's trunk, fence posts) the trunk should be a 2x2 block and the fence posts should be 1x1 blocks. Also i'm not too fond of the dark bley plate on the light bley... :sadnew:

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I just can't see why a Minecraft fan (or minecraft fan's parents) would spend so much money on these when they could continue to have more fun with a game that only costs $26.

You could make this exact same argument about any license. Why buy a Star Wars set when you could just watch Star Wars or play a Star Wars video game for much less money? I know Minecraft is a little different because it's a game where you build stuff, but still. These are completely different mediums - one is a thing on a computer, and one is a physical thing. It's fun for some people to play out what they see on a screen in physical LEGO.

I am an enormous LEGO fan/collector and fanatic as well as a huge Minecraft fan and I honestly think these sets look really great so far. I don't know what everyone else expected. It's not as if LEGO could print on all sides of every brink to replicate the game. I think they have done an amazing job to translate the colours, price range, target audience and play value in one bundle. Besides, kids will be able to use their own blocks in their collections to add to their play sets and creations too.

You could make this exact same argument about any license. Why buy a Star Wars set when you could just watch Star Wars or play a Star Wars video game for much less money? I know Minecraft is a little different because it's a game where you build stuff, but still. These are completely different mediums - one is a thing on a computer, and one is a physical thing. It's fun for some people to play out what they see on a screen in physical LEGO.

That's just it though. Minecraft can be a way to make creations with blocks (among many other things) so it is definitely not the same argument for Star Wars. There are advantages to Lego and to Minecraft. I don't expect to convince people on a Lego forum that Minecraft is better, but for me the pendulum has definitely swung into Minecraft's favor due to what I feel has been a decrease in value/quality for Lego sets versus what seems like an endless increase in value for a game that only cost me $26 and continues to get free updates and tons of very high quality free mods that add even more versatility. Plus with so many Lego sets taking up space in my house, I am starting to enjoy storing my block built creations on my hard drive.

I'll just dump my thoughts for each set here.

The Farm:

-Likely to get this one last.

-The one that interests me the least, but interests me nonetheless.

-Skeleton looks cool, but I could think of a better, more block-like torso that already exists.

-Steve is Steve. Because I'm likely to get this second, I'm probably going to turn this into my Minecraft Skin.

-The cow and the sheep are pretty good.

-Set looks detailed, by Minecraft standards.

The Cave:

-Going to get this first.

-Definitely interests me the most, I always enjoy going caving in Minecraft.

-I really enjoy the way it looks, with the Obsidian being generated, the buckets, the way the grass gives it the illusion of being an open cave, etc.

-Steve is Steve, but I'll be damned if I didn't think that Iron (At least it looks like Iron) Pickaxe looked absolutely amazing.

-The Zombie... It's a Zombie, but cool nonetheless.

-The Spider.... EEEEEEEECH. That's gonna need redesigning. BADLY.

So yeah that's my two bricks.

I really like the new head molds for the figures, Im not entirely sure I like the Cave set but I really am digging the print on steves torso, and I definitely will be using the pumpkin head from the farm set for my new sig fig