Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #86: Gaiden

"No, he and Dyric were as secretive as a group of alchemists. All I got was some explosives expert out of them. I asked them what happened, and said it didn't concern me."

Karie grumbled to herself, crossing her arms. The cold winter wind nipped at her cheeks. She considered putting her hood on, but figured it would slightly distance herself from the other two members.

Baradock realized how much flak Karie must get for being a witch. But he found it near impossible to empathize.

Where he came from, they would burn hay dummies in witch attire for All Hallows Eve.

And with the whole party knowing his disdain for the like, this conversation had become too tense for his own comfort.

He sped up and joined Octavyn's side, who was leading with exceptional pep. Which was odd seeing how the skirmish between him and his brother had ended.

Hopefully it wouldn't be long until the lighthouse was in view...

"Octavyn, I'm less concerned about your brother than I am you. You took that pretty hard back there. You sure you don't want to slow down for a minute?"

PDNmfNS.png

"And since when has slowing down and simply succumbing to sadness ever solved anything? Not really my style, if you haven't noticed."

Edited by Endgame

"Well, sure. It was just a suggestion... if anything."

Karie's thoughts dragged back to her mental breakdown a few months ago as Octavyn spoke about succumbing to emotions. She felt uneasy just thinking about it. It was all so clear... yet so fuzzy at the same time.

PDNmfNS.png

"...Sorry, Karie, did I dredge up bad memories?

I've never really told you folks my personal philosophy, have I, huh?"

"No. No, you didn't Octavyn. It's fine.

Liar.

And if you feel the need to share your personal philosophy with us, I'm all ears."

She peered over at Skrall, still wanting to know what Thothwick and Dyric were so keen on not letting her in on.

"No. No, you didn't Octavyn. It's fine.

Liar.

And if you feel the need to share your personal philosophy with us, I'm all ears."

PDNmfNS.png

"Fibbing to someone who can read body language is not an easy task." Octavyn quips, chuckling. "But, hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt."

"Ah, what the hell. We're just making small talk here anyway, and maybe this'll shed some light on what just happened back at my brother's place.

My personal philosophy is this: Life is a joke."

Octavyn pauses, trying to gauge the hero's reactions.

"Pause for dramatic effect: Nailed it.

I say that in the most postive way possible - the word joke gets a bad connotation nowadays. Jokes are meant to be enjoyed! They're meant to make you smile, to make you laugh. Some may be a bit darker than others, but that just goes hand in hand with life, right? Just like a joke, life has the build-up, a punchline... Shall I continue with my analogies? Life is an endless series of jokes, really, in my mind. And jokes are meant to make you feel good, help lift the mood when everything else is pretty grim.

And that is where the ultimate gag of reality lies: One day, you will experience tragedy. Likely several, but some more then others. And yet... The sun rises and sets. The stars come out at night. The world goes on. The biggest joke of reality is that it simply doesn't end. Some people find it sick.

But I find it quite beautiful."

Karie doesn't say anything after Octavyn's finished. Tragedy? She wondered what Octavyn's definition of tragedy was compared to hers.

A List of Events that could Easily be Considered Tragedies: Karie Alderflask Edition

1. Being seperated from her biological sister

2. Dealing with her adoptive mother

3. Flunking and leaving University

4. Getting addicted to Pixie Dust

5. Cliff's Death and the Club

6. The whole Apprentice ordeal

7. Being turned into a newt

8. Being hexed (twice) by the Oculoids

9. Dealing with Idiot Metasimian and Dyric

10. ???

She hoped there wouldn't be a number ten for a while to come.

Octavyn's outlook on life truly baffled Baradock. A joke? I mean, atleast he stands by his morals, and Baradock could respect that.

He imagined if Octavyn found his wife dead on a curb and just laugh it all off and continue life as usual.

This unearthed some memories he would rather left untouched. Baradock gave a grunt and shook his head, continuing to walk.

Edited by Cryos

Karie doesn't say anything after Octavyn's finished. Tragedy? She wondered what Octavyn's definition of tragedy was compared to hers.

A List of Events that could Easily be Considered Tragedies: Karie Alderflask Edition

1. Being seperated from her biological sister

2. Dealing with her adoptive mother

3. Flunking and leaving University

4. Getting addicted to Pixie Dust

5. Cliff's Death and the Club

6. The whole Apprentice ordeal

7. Being turned into a newt

8. Being hexed (twice) by the Oculoids

9. Dealing with Idiot Metasimian and Dyric

10. ???

She hoped there wouldn't be a number ten for a while to come.

PDNmfNS.png

"...Yep. Dredging up bad memories. I'll stop."

Octavyn holds out a gloved hand, dark splothces appearing on it. he looks up, dark grey clous brewing above them - the soft pitter patter of rain was beginning.

PDNmfNS.png

"Huh. Starting to drizzle. Lovely."

"Yippie."

There was a sense of snark to her voice. Surprisingly, Karie was thankful she wasn't wearing her layers of makeup. In this weather it would've probably run.

"So, how far to the lighthouse?"

PDNmfNS.png

"5 minutes or so. Eubric isn't all that huge, surprisingly. Such a small city with so much life crammed into it... No wonder they need the hovels and the hovels wall, eh?

I suspect we'll have to tangle with those crackheads. Drugged people are unpredictable people... And if they think they can solve this whole debacle, I suspect they'll be carrying weapons.

It's staggering that people consent to that kind of stuff... Do they enjoy causing their brain cells to burst?"

Edited by Endgame

Baradock chuckled silently. Remembering a junkie that was always so persistent at getting his fiance.

It was entertaining at the least...

The pitter-patter of the rain echoed distractingly loud inside his helmet. Baradock took it off and rested it between his hip and elbow.

The atmosphere of the day was beginning to become extremely foreboding. The whole mission was starting to seem like a bad idea...

"You've obviously never had a drug addiction, Octavyn."

Karie gave a grim, almost sarcastic smile. She still remembered she had the Pixie Dust in her pouch, untouched, taunting at her.

Octavyn bites his lip.

PDNmfNS.png

"Ah. Well, um... Sorry. Really, sorry. So that's why you reacted that way when Boomingham...

Ennoc, this is one of those days when I look and feel like an inconsiderate fool.

...You disposed of it though, right?"

"Of course. Threw it down the sink once I got home."

No you didn't Karie, I'm right here, Silly Billy!

Karie looks forward, ignoring her overactive conscious filling in for the voice of Pixie Dust.

"Mreoow. <You, Karie, are a horrible liar.>"

PDNmfNS.png

"...Body language, remember? We just went over this one. I'm adept at reading it.

Even your cat seems suspicious..."

"It's gone, alright. Down the drain, flushed into the sewers, it's done! I left that nasty habit behind just before I left Charis. Its cost me enough misery already."

"Mreoow, mreoow! <Octavyn, search her! She's got it in her pocket! Look, I'll distract her while you tackle her!>"

Hershey begins to swat as Karie's hair. Karie in response takes a smidgen of catnip and stuffs it in her pets mouth. It shuts Hershey up.

Skrall watched Karie's discontent at his answer. "Ah, you met Dyric as well. Both of 'em had pretty trying experiences with the witch I mentioned earlier, Wren. Was a bit of nasty business. The carnage and chaos caused by her was pretty hard to stomach. When ya spend so much time fighting against somethin' it can be a little hard adaptin' to the same thing claimin' to be something else."

Listening to Octavyn's philosophy, the ogre shrugged. "Life's a joke, a riddle, a highway, I've heard it all. For me, life is what ya make it. We all like to overlay our own definitions on reality. For the druggie, life is just the interem between the next fix. The hero, the time between the next rush of adrenaline. The criminal, the pause where he lays low between his heists. It's the time where we are actively aware of it's passage. When we're distracted by what ever gets us off, the concept of life is far in the back of our mind, suppressed by the enjoyment of the given moment."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Skrall watched Karie's discontent at his answer. "Ah, you met Dyric as well. Both of 'em had pretty trying experiences with the witch I mentioned earlier, Wren. Was a bit of nasty business. The carnage and chaos caused by her was pretty hard to stomach. When ya spend so much time fighting against somethin' it can be a little hard adaptin' to the same thing claimin' to be something else."

Listening to Octavyn's philosophy, the ogre shrugged. "Life's a joke, a riddle, a highway, I've heard it all. For me, life is what ya make it. We all like to overlay our own definitions on reality. For the druggie, life is just the interem between the next fix. The hero, the time between the next rush of adrenaline. The criminal, the pause where he lays low between his heists. It the time where we are actively aware of it's passage. When we're distracted by what ever gets us off, the concept of life is far in the back of our mind suppressed by the enjoyment of the given moment."

PDNmfNS.png

"Huh. Must say, I quite like your philosophy as well. I suppose my life is an odd mesh of both hero and criminal...

Yeah, I don't spend too much time pontificating the meaning of life earlier. Maybe knowing what I live by makes whatever's been going on more apparent to you guys, though. Sure doesn't help me, at any rate."

"It's gone, alright. Down the drain, flushed into the sewers, it's done! I left that nasty habit behind just before I left Charis. Its cost me enough misery already."

"Mreoow, mreoow! <Octavyn, search her! She's got it in her pocket! Look, I'll distract her while you tackle her!>"

Hershey begins to swat as Karie's hair. Karie in response takes a smidgen of catnip and stuffs it in her pets mouth. It shuts Hershey up.

PDNmfNS.png

"Kaire, I'm not doubting whether or not you quite the habit. I'm doubting whether or not you are possessing it. Two very different things. Now, the honest answer, if you'd be so kind."

"Hmm. I suppose so. Still, Dyric was at least civil about the whole thing. Thothwick seemed to have an outright grudge against me."

Her current position came to mind in a way. At least she learned to forgive the individual involved, who happened to be her lover.

PDNmfNS.png

"Kaire, I'm not doubting whether or not you quite the habit. I'm doubting whether or not you are possessing it. Two very different things. Now, the honest answer, if you'd be so kind."

Karie lingers her hands in her pocket, feeling it, clutching it, weighing the bag in her hand. Temptation...

"It's in my pocket."

Edited by Kintobor

PDNmfNS.png

"And you're holding on to it for what reason...?"

Edited by Endgame

PDNmfNS.png

"And you're holding on to it for...?"

"Dunno, really, it's just... still on my person."

PDNmfNS.png

"But you lied to me, Karie. You could've said you just hand't gotten around to it, I would've shrugged, given you the benefit of the doubt, and moved on. But you lied.

I am speaking as friend here, Karie, not as your Admin. The Syndicate doesn't play the authority card... As Masson told you that night, we operate as a sort of family. Rank is only used when strictly neccasary.

Now, as a friend: You've been tempted to use that dust the entire time, haven't you?"

Edited by Endgame