Theme: Town

Sub-Theme: Maintenance

Year: 1982

Pieces: 21

Price: Pocket money set

Minifigures: 1

Databases: BrickLink; Brickset; Peeron

Introduction

I’ve been meaning to fill in some of the gaps in the reviews index with my collection. So first up is this little gem from 1982, one I've always been very fond of – usually the first of my town sets that gets built when the bug hits to build the entire theme.

Instructions

10577191505_778c1a5495_o.jpg

10577254184_764a97e7cb_o.jpg

10577239466_f0e3c4d292_o.jpg

I've long lost the original box, but the cover features the classic minimalist town background whilst the reverse side of the pamphlet features some alternative builds, a go-kart and a couple of dragster-like vehicles.

Parts

10577235766_ac375b68f4_o.jpg

Laid out here are all 17 parts (21 if you count the 4 tyres). No stickers or printed pieces feature here – all except the tyres and axles are obtainable nowadays.

Minifigs

10577242196_e691e3ed64_o.jpg

Probably one of the simplest minifigs ever produced – not even front printed! The fig looks like a general townsperson, nothing to indicate a farm/maintenance theme here. This particular arrangement only featured in this set. The torso lacks any sort of internal bracing – take care removing his arms – and insert short legs at your peril! :cry_sad:

The Build

10577262564_2ca0a34320_o.jpg

The model really captures that appealing ‘dinky-toy’ look. TLG would later recycle the design (often featuring a lifting bucket) in several sets:

• 6603 Shovel Truck (1985) - Yellow
  • 6504 Tractor (1988) - Blue
  • 1633 Mini Loader (1990) - Yellow
  • 6541 Intercoastal Seaport (1991) - Blue
  • 4563 Load and Haul Railroad (1991) - Red (edit - thanks eurotrash!)

10577235006_02af63fb66_o.jpg

Summary

Playability: 7/10 - Just loving the noisy racket those old wheels make!

Design: 9/10 - Pretty much perfect to the point that TLG keeps using it – most recently with 4899.

Minifigs: 8/10 - Although nondescript, can be used for nearly anything town-related.

Price: 8/10 - Pocket money sets are in short supply nowadays, often available only in certain regions or with promotional periods.

Overall: 8/10 - One of those timeless designs that just screams classic Lego.

Anyway, thanks for reading – I’ll be back with more reviews in the near future!

Good review of a great little Tractor! I still have this one and coincidently I reassembled it last night for incorporation into my latest Modular MOC.

I think though that it was available in Red in the 4563 Load and Haul Railroad.

/Edit/ I've just located the instructions on Peeron ( http://www.peeron.com/scans/4563-1/11) and it's not exactly the same.... meh!

Edited by eurotrash

I had 6603 when I was a kid. It was one of those kits you could put together blindly, no instructions needed. And yet it looked great!

Sadly it got lost in the great "yeah dad, just throw my old stuff in your attick away" catastrophy... :cry_sad:

Thank you Renegade Clone for this very fine Classic Town review! This set is certainly one of the oldest Tractor set being made available in such a small minifig scale. I had the 6504 Tractor too, as part of my childhood collection. So seeing this review from you, definitely brings back fond memories!

5.jpg

Nice review of a classic set. I'm glad that you also included the re-designs that emerged in the following years, as my first though when seeing the picture of it was 'This one looks just like the tractor from 6541 Intercoastal seaport, which was one of my favourite childhood sets'. :classic:

4899 from 2009 is kind of a tribute to this one too, I just realised:

4899-1.jpg?1

Actually: it's kind of a modern version, with some extra bells 'n whistles, a slight update because of the new wheels and a whopper of a bonnet. But the rest of the design is the same.

Edited by jfbat