Gijserman

Fantastic new Roller Coaster with new track system

Do'h, sorry :)

Still, a pic would be much more satisfactionary :p

WOW just wow. :wub:

I would love to see some more detail pics as le60head mentioned above, especially of the car.

Amazing project guys! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

All the lego is at my cousin's house, I requested that he makes some photos. I'll post them as soon as I have them!

Very impressive, do you know how many pin connectors were used, loads and loads I think

We ordered about 1200, but didn't use all of them, I would guess more than a 1000

Still, I'd REALLY like to see some detailed pics of the track and car. All the other threads about coasters are very vague as well. If you don't want to show us your stuff, then why tease us like this?

Still, I'd REALLY like to see some detailed pics of the track and car. All the other threads about coasters are very vague as well. If you don't want to show us your stuff, then why tease us like this?

I don't have Lego at my house, it's at my cousin's 'cause he has a bigger house. I asked multiple times for him to make detailed pics, but he doesn't.. Downloaded Lego Digial Designer, but it doesn't have the parts.. I want to show, but I don't really know how right now

I can try to explain. The parts we used to make the "bars":

1x Part 32015

2x Part 4519

2x Part 32192

2x Part 32062

2x Part 6536

Attach pins and pin joiners to the bars and voila.. you have some track. Repeat 300 times and you have some more track, suitable for train wheels (Part 2878c01)

Edited by Gijserman

I don't have Lego at my house, it's at my cousin's 'cause he has a bigger house. I asked multiple times for him to make detailed pics, but he doesn't.. Downloaded Lego Digial Designer, but it doesn't have the parts.. I want to show, but I don't really know how right now

I can try to explain. The parts we used to make the "bars":

1x Part 32015

2x Part 4519

2x Part 32192

2x Part 32062

2x Part 6536

Attach pins and pin joiners to the bars and voila.. you have some track. Repeat 300 times and you have some more track, suitable for train wheels (Part 2878c01)

Like this?

10647445385_b86a201249_o_d.png

What parts did you use in the car?

Like this?

10647445385_b86a201249_o_d.png

What parts did you use in the car?

Exactly! What software did you use to make that?

The car is a lot more sophisticated, the wheels can turn relative to eachother, it has pins to keep it from falling off the track and it has a clip that hooks onto the chain.

There's a few software you can use. LDraw is usually better with older parts but updates is slower as they are not made by major company. Also they have steeper learning curve. Lego Digital Designer is available directly from LEGO for free and is easier to use than LDraw but they generally have parts made in the last 10 or so years so it will not have old and out of production element at this time.

If you never tried a 3D CAD type program, start with LDD as it's easier.

How did you get the tracks to bend? Just the slack in Lego parts?

Yes it's the slack, it might not be super good for the technic pins though..

I think it would be OK if you're using frictionless pins. They have much more slack, I think friction pins would definitely get damaged, with nonfriction pins you can bend it quite a bit without any stress.

Exactly! What software did you use to make that?

The car is a lot more sophisticated, the wheels can turn relative to eachother, it has pins to keep it from falling off the track and it has a clip that hooks onto the chain.

I used Bricksmith, which is based on LDraw. I kludged it together since I don't actually know the software, so parts don't quite connect properly, but it's close enough for an illustration of a small assembly.

I'd be very interested in seeing more photos of the car - it's nice and small but hugs the rails very nicely.

I used Bricksmith, which is based on LDraw. I kludged it together since I don't actually know the software, so parts don't quite connect properly, but it's close enough for an illustration of a small assembly.

I'd be very interested in seeing more photos of the car - it's nice and small but hugs the rails very nicely.

Here's an "exploded view" of the car. It doesn't have all the parts, but does have some important ones.

kar.jpg

Here's an "exploded view" of the car. It doesn't have all the parts, but does have some important ones.

kar.jpg

Thanks! The robot arm to grab the chain is clever, I wouldn't have thought of that.

That looks really clever, a bit weak maybe as I assume it could fall apart after some thorough riding on the track. How do you plan on adding more cars? I'm specifically thinking about the connection linking them together, I've had quite a few problems finding a solution.

That looks really clever, a bit weak maybe as I assume it could fall apart after some thorough riding on the track. How do you plan on adding more cars? I'm specifically thinking about the connection linking them together, I've had quite a few problems finding a solution.

Some train wheels can be attached to Technic axles, so if you had some of those you could build your own cars to solve both of the problems you mentioned.

If you look at our youtubechannel http://www.youtube.com/user/Hoezer2 in the header image, you see how we did it with our previous track. We use Part 63082 and Part 3614b.

The problem with the new track is that it probably can't hold that much weight (although we will try it some time)

Some train wheels can be attached to Technic axles, so if you had some of those you could build your own cars to solve both of the problems you mentioned.

I don't think any type of wheel exists that runs as smooth as the 9v train wheels. Even when we used Part 2878c02 instead of Part 2878c01 it went slower.

applause! .... can't wait to see minifigs with their arms in the air.... would look great in a shop display

For anyone who's interested, we are making some how-to videos for this roller coaster.

Here are the first two. More to come.

And a small EV3 controlled test:

I have seen this roller coaster for the first time and I must to say: Amazing! That's impressive how universal Lego is and how idea full human brain is... Very good work... Thanx for videos and instructions... Very interesting... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Beautifully built! Well done! Must be the cleanest design of rollercoaster I have seen. I can imagine the buckets of pin connectors and chains.

I'm curious as to what you used to get that long sweeping shot at the end. Was it using a cable-cam or a boom pole? It looked well stabilized. Very nice video and music, enjoyed it!

Edited by SevenStuds