Here are two pictures of a wood part that I made for something that I have been constructing. Can you figure out what goes inside this wood hole.

woodpart.jpg

woodframe.jpg

A mount for a stronger motor or a water pump?

Edited by weavil

more like a scam err... invitation to up the number of views for this thread ... :classic:

Edited by DrJB

Welcome to EB sergiuparaschiv! It actually doesn't look like it would hold a motor tho, but I really don't have any idea.

A bolt. :sweet:

Bearing?

Well It appears that Alasdair Ryan is correct. Was it that obvious :laugh: This wood bearing I am making is still in the prototype production phase due to the fact that the bearing is measured in metric and all my wood drill bits are standard. My goal is to be able to press fit the bearing in the hole and secure the bearing in place that way. Once I get a metric wood drill bit then I will be able to further continue making.

Well It appears that Alasdair Ryan is correct. Was it that obvious :laugh: This wood bearing I am making is still in the prototype production phase due to the fact that the bearing is measured in metric and all my wood drill bits are standard. My goal is to be able to press fit the bearing in the hole and secure the bearing in place that way. Once I get a metric wood drill bit then I will be able to further continue making.

WorldMapMetric-1024x4931.jpg

Standard... like american soccer.

Anyways - bearing for a vehicle or a mechanism?

Edited by Omikron

Standard... like american soccer.

America always had to be different. Ever since we left England many years ago, we did everything backwards(so to speek) to have no ties to England. So I guess if EU goes to "standard" we will probably go metric. :laugh:

Haha, The metric system is easy and makes sense, compared to the "standard" system of which you speak! :laugh:

But that discussion probably belongs in another forum :blush:

Looking forward to see what this turns out like!

I must agree. The metric system is simple and easy to understand and use, while the inch-based (?) system you use in USA is much more complicated to use IMO.

Y u no use easy way? :laugh:

It depends what you are used to. Where I work there are machines from all over the world, including 'murica! Both systems have their advantages but I wish they wouldn't insist on using both systems within the same machine all the time :sceptic: .

Reminds me of Canada. When people talk about how old their car is, they use the word 'mileage' ... Then they say the number in kilometers ... Not atypical conversation:

1. What is the mileage on your car ?

2. 52000 kilometers ...

With Lego however, the universal unit it is 'L' ... May stand for Length.

It depends what you are used to. Where I work there are machines from all over the world, including 'murica! Both systems have their advantages but I wish they wouldn't insist on using both systems within the same machine all the time :sceptic: .

In engineering school, when I was given a problem stated in English / Imperial units it was easier to convert everything to metric, solve it, and convert it back, than to do all the calculations in English. Give me Joules over BTUs, kilograms over slugs, and Newtons over pounds any day.

Reminds me of Canada. When people talk about how old their car is, they use the word 'mileage' ... Then they say the number in kilometers ... Not atypical conversation:

1. What is the mileage on your car ?

2. 52000 kilometers ...

With Lego however, the universal unit it is 'L' ... May stand for Length.

Actually it's "M" or "m" which stands for module (the distance between the centre of two studs), although "L" is often used as well and means the same thing.

In engineering school, when I was given a problem stated in English / Imperial units it was easier to convert everything to metric, solve it, and convert it back, than to do all the calculations in English. Give me Joules over BTUs, kilograms over slugs, and Newtons over pounds any day.

Yeah, in England most of us like to do most things in metric (although I use both) but we like to buy our milk and beer in pints and drive using miles instead if kilometres.

Edited by allanp